• 1 Post By ZombiePhysicist

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 03-05-2018, 11:44 PM Thread Starter
2012 MP4-12C
Owner

Garage
McLaren 3rd party service options

McLaren 3rd party service options
For those that cannot find easy answers in the FAQs (https://www.mclarenlife.com/forums/mc...ml#post1257009) and that do not want to DIY (https://www.mclarenlife.com/forums/mc...ml#post1536474), but do not want to pay McLaren dealers for service, we have compiled the following list.

A couple of notes, while your car is under warranty (see FAQs item 3.0 for Warranty information), you may prefer to stick with dealer service. It's not clear, but it is possible that using a non-dealer to do work on your car may result in future problems not being warranted, so caveat emptor, buyer beware.

That said, for many people, particularly with those with cars out of warranty, a more cost effective solution and 3rd party option may well be preferred. Traditionally there have been no such 3rd party option, in part because McLaren's computers needed to test/reset many items in its cars/ECUs are prohibitively expensive, and/or are otherwise not obtainable. Please keep that in mind as some of the 3rd party vendors may have to conjure creative ways around this, and it's worth asking them how they deal with this issue.

That said, much of the work you may want to perform on your McLaren will fall into 4 general categories: 1) Body Shop work (e.g., rim rash, fender benders, paint, etc.), 2) mechanical/operational work (e.g., brakes, oil/filter changes, service checks), 3) Mods/Major Upgrades (e.g., more power, exhaust, suspension), 4) Feature/Minor Upgrades (e.g., clear and decorative wraps, radar systems, audio systems)

As I get requests, I'll endeavor to add providers in all 4 categories as people promote requests in this thread. It likely won't be complete, but hopefully will be a good starting off place. If you see an asterisks "*" next to a provider, it means I'm not sure if it provides such services, and you should follow up with the provider yourself (and report back here if you can confirm, thanks).

1. Body Shop Work
    (e.g., rim rash, fender benders, paint, etc.)

None mentioned so far...

2. Mechanical/operational work
    (e.g., brakes, oil/filter changes, service checks, etc.)

Provider: @XPRD aka @MP4Dream
    Contact: On this site, McLarenLife via private message @XPRD https://www.mclarenlife.com/forums/mc...ml#post1565193
    Phone: N/A
    email: N/A
    Locations:
    California: Costa Mesa, Huntington Beach, Northern California
    Nevada: Las Vegas
    Maryland
    Note: Currently XPRD is the only one to confirm he is willing to do this kind of work per this thread.

3. Mods/Modifications Major Upgrades
    (e.g., MORE power, better exhausts, suspension adjustments, etc.)

Will wait for forum members to recommend popular upgrades here...

4. Feature/Minor Upgrades
    (e.g., clear and decorative wraps, detailing, radar systems, audio systems, etc.)

None mentioned so far...
Kamran, 1YOUNG1, spdrcrj and 2 others like this.

Last edited by ZombiePhysicist; 03-21-2018 at 04:57 PM. Reason: Update
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-06-2018, 12:02 AM
Sponsor
Sponsor

Indeed, I can assist with mechanical work. I can also provide advice and expert consultation for customers who buy parts oem or aftermarket from us. We will shortly have computer "MDS"-like access to reset modules in the car and flash maps onto the ecu. Zombie, thanks for the mention!! For those who are new, MP4Dream is XPRD. I became a vendor/sponsor to support the forum. I work closely with crystalimprezav.

Those who buy at a certain level will get a free service manual or oil and water caps.

XPRD
Kamran, ZombiePhysicist and niko14 like this.
post #3 of 12 Old 03-06-2018, 12:16 AM
Owner

XPRD, where in the country are you located?

post #4 of 12 Old 03-06-2018, 12:30 AM
Owner

Good to know about this all. Would be nice for the middle of nowhere customers after warranty
post #5 of 12 Old 03-06-2018, 12:35 AM

I think brake pads/oil changes/brake fluid flush/coolant flush would be huge. general wear and tear items.

obviously warranty things, might require dealer support and annual service.
post #6 of 12 Old 03-06-2018, 01:41 AM
InnerCircle
Owner

XPRD has hooked me up on multiple items... and his prices and dedication to the details are unbeatable... (MP4Dream... That should get me a nice little discount on the next thing I need, right???) :-)

Oil changes, brake fluid flushing, brake pad changes... all this is basic mechanical territory and any experienced mechanic can get the job done. Also most mechanically inclined owners can do it themselves as well...

These cars are not hard to work on, the real issue is there is not a lot of PUBLISHED information so we all individually start each "project" blindly and have to figure it out as we go along....

- 2012 McLaren MP4-12C Graphite Gray (his)
- 2012 McLaren MP4-12C Brilliant White (hers)
- 2017 Alfa Romero Giulia Quadrifoglio
post #7 of 12 Old 03-06-2018, 01:58 AM
Sponsor
Sponsor

I am in Northern California and the Las Vegas area. I also have an affiliated shop in Costa Mesa and Huntington Beach. On the east coast, I have a partner in Maryland.

BTW, I should be able to completely repair transmissions, also. Working on reverse engineering since late last year.

I made all the tools to assemble the motor. I can sell to your local shops if they are interested.

XPRD
Kamran, 1YOUNG1, niko14 and 1 others like this.
post #8 of 12 Old 03-06-2018, 03:24 AM

Are these affiliated shops willing to do basic mechanic type of work?

Brakes. Fluid flushes. Or they more for mods and tunes?
post #9 of 12 Old 03-06-2018, 03:34 AM

Garage
XPRD, I’m interested in this too, specifically for the annual service type of checklist items. And are you able to reset the service due indicators?
post #10 of 12 Old 03-06-2018, 03:50 AM
Owner

Garage
Where’s your shop in Vegas? Didn’t realize you had one here (which is great news).

- 2004 Ferrari Challenge Stradale
- 2016 Ram Laramie Longhorn Limited
- 2004 Corvette Z06 24 Hr of Le Mans Collectors Edition

*2 x 650Sís gone but fantastic experiences*
post #11 of 12 Old 03-06-2018, 04:00 AM Thread Starter
2012 MP4-12C
Owner

Garage
Ok, i'm going to make this thread sticky and start a FAQ style list. Looks like finally some sunshine with regard to a 3rd party service community developing!
markj likes this.
post #12 of 12 Old 02-06-2019, 02:02 PM

No association, but there are some great buyers guide and how to fix Videos from Thorney Motorsport based in the UK- #

https://youtu.be/jH-PYXfWLk8

https://youtu.be/lRKeNfl67-g

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the McLaren Life forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in