McLaren Life banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
I believe the doors have a detonator in them (like Lamborghini) that will blow the door hinge off if the car is upside down.
i thought the same ... Not 100% for the 720s, but my SLS has them ... would be strange if Mclaren leaves that security measure out ...

·
570S Owner
2020 720S Coupé
104 Posts
I believe the doors have a detonator in them (like Lamborghini) that will blow the door hinge off if the car is upside down.
I HAVE to know the answer to this... If they don't, gonna have to figure out some kind of emergency exit protocol and the needed tools to keep inside

·
Registered
385 Posts
I'd like to know if this is true too.

But one solution is simple already. I keep a glass breaking tool in the car. It is basically a spring loaded metal pen device.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I HAVE to know the answer to this... If they don't, gonna have to figure out some kind of emergency exit protocol and the needed tools to keep inside
I have looked to see if I can find anything on it (which I recall reading a while back).. Can't find anything but the SLR McLaren/Mercedes did have it, found an article on that one. But cannot find proof on any of the new Macs (12c onward) that have mention of the detonator hinges. I will keep looking, but nothing I can find definitive as of yet. Maybe they do not?

·
570S Owner
2020 720S Coupé
104 Posts
So it looks like it's time to start keeping a Phased Plasma Rifle in the 40-Watt Range in behind the seats just in case you find yourself in a situation where the doors need to be blown off.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hi guys,

there are no measures taken to blow the doors/hinges open. None of the Mclarens have it. Even the P1 GTR doesn't have it. All you will find are the standard airbags to protect you. Like any other normal road car you can flip into a ditch, good luck opening the doors or get out.

How many "stories" have you heard where the driver is saved by the blown hinge? How about all the minor crashes, will they blow your door off leaving you with more damage..or do you want it to only deploy when you roll over..... and the door protects you.....

Perhaps on the P16 next oktober....

·
Registered
385 Posts
Simple solution is to carry a spring loaded window break tool in the car. I keep one in my 720S, and have ordered one for my i8. About £2.50 each, from China.

·
Owner
680 Posts
On another forum, regarding this crash, someone posted about the flammability of Carbon Fiber because of the epoxies or glue used to mold the CF. Apparently when a fuel line or the fuel tank ruptures, the chassis burns fast and hot.

·
Recent Convert
849 Posts
On another forum, regarding this crash, someone posted about the flammability of Carbon Fiber because of the epoxies or glue used to mold the CF. Apparently when a fuel line or the fuel tank ruptures, the chassis burns fast and hot.
It's not just the bonding agents, carbon by its nature is combustible, but soon goes out when the temperature and O2 are removed.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts

well every painted metal or plastic part that is soaked in high octane fuel will burn fast and hot ... cf not different - if that would really matter why you think they are allowed to use it for the fuselage of nearly every modern passenger plane ...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Someone in the comments said he had to swerve to avoid hitting some guy on an electric scooter.

So many McLaren’s roll over, etc, with no issues at all - curious how this one caught fire. I’m guessing it went in to the pole sideways where the fuel tank is and it ruptured. Probably took a few mins before the fire started.

Always sad to see something like this happen :(

Thanks!

Z.
I was directly next to the car... he accelerated sassoon as I looked at him.... gave him a thumbs up.... he floored it... .most likely the tires were still cold because it took off then kicked to the right.. went sideways in front of me and hit directly behind the drivers door... burst into flames before I could even stop... the flames were too hot to get to the man driving...I tried... even had someone hand me a fire extinguisher.and it was dead in the red..... fml.. .. literally couldnt do a thing besides watch a man die in front of my eyes. I'll never forget his face.. I'm waiting for the identity to come out..

·
Premium Member
1,866 Posts
I was directly next to the car... he accelerated sassoon as I looked at him.... gave him a thumbs up.... he floored it... .most likely the tires were still cold because it took off then kicked to the right.. went sideways in front of me and hit directly behind the drivers door... burst into flames before I could even stop... the flames were too hot to get to the man driving...I tried... even had someone hand me a fire extinguisher.and it was dead in the red..... fml.. .. literally couldnt do a thing besides watch a man die in front of my eyes. I'll never forget his face.. I'm waiting for the identity to come out..
I'm sorry. It's just horrible to read about these things can't imagine the feeling.

Window break / knife belt cutter in all cars - simple 10.00 tool.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm sorry. It's just horrible to read about these things can't imagine the feeling.

I believe he was gone before the flames due to the impact location and ZERO reaction to the flames all around him... I couldnt get within 10 ft of the car due to the flames directly behind the man.

·
Registered
122 Posts

Where do you put that? In the door storage? It might not open if the car is at an odd angle or on the roof. Not in a secure storage and bouncing around the car in a crash, the hammer might kill you?

21 - 40 of 47 Posts