McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Broad daylight crash while leaving a stoplight. Thoughts and prayers to the deceased and hoping it wasn't a McLaren Lifer.

Be careful out there boys. It is easy to forget how powerful and awesome these modern day cars have become, even with nannies!

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
Someone in the comments said he had to swerve to avoid hitting some guy on an electric scooter.

So many McLaren’s roll over, etc, with no issues at all - curious how this one caught fire. I’m guessing it went in to the pole sideways where the fuel tank is and it ruptured. Probably took a few mins before the fire started.

Always sad to see something like this happen :(

Thanks!

Z.

·
2012 MP4-12C
8,033 Posts
I figured the same and unfortunately the guy was knocked out. If he wasnt knocked out, my guess is he could have walked away. Sad story. Feel bad for the family.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Guys please be careful.

720 hp spins the wheels dramatically so when you ask the tyre for that much longitudinal grip, you have zero lateral grip left, so the slightest tug on the wheel is going to spin the rear around as if it is on ice. I have seen it many times.

Be safe.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Guys please be careful.

720 hp spins the wheels dramatically so when you ask the tyre for that much longitudinal grip, you have zero lateral grip left, so the slightest tug on the wheel is going to spin the rear around as if it is on ice. I have seen it many times.

Be safe.
Must have had traction control turned off?

·
Registered
779 Posts
Yikes... very sad. Looks like it was a red Spider with R888R tires.

I've found the traction control foolproof if you keep the steering wheel straight. Anything sudden disrupting the balance of the car will probably overcome it though.

·
570S Owner
94 Posts
Very sad....

There is also the possibility that there was something on the road surface and/or transferred to his tires like oil or antifreeze. Busy intersections have thousands of cars per DAY dripping at that same red light on that same 6ft x 15ft patch...

In cars you usually aren't so conscious of it, but every bike guy knows it all too well...

·
Registered
94 Posts
Good point worldattorney. As a bike rider it's amazing to see how much oil is on the pavement at some intersections. Certainly a danger for riders and high powered cars.

Sad for sure. We have had some "good" stories lately with wrecked 720s that flew off cliffs and the passengers walked away fairly ok. Too bad this didn't end the same way.

RIP

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
Good point worldattorney. As a bike rider it's amazing to see how much oil is on the pavement at some intersections. Certainly a danger for riders and high powered cars.

Sad for sure. We have had some "good" stories lately with wrecked 720s that flew off cliffs and the passengers walked away fairly ok. Too bad this didn't end the same way.

RIP
The big difference here being the fire. I’d be interested in knowing what started that. Maybe the sideways motion ruptured the fuel tank, or it started small and slowly due to hot components on plastic or something while the driver was unconscious.. this is kinda like the Paul Walker Carrera GT fire in to a lamp post.

Seems like the biggest danger to supercars aren’t cliffs or hillsides - it’s lamp posts!

Thanks!

Z.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
The big difference here being the fire. I’d be interested in knowing what started that. Maybe the sideways motion ruptured the fuel tank, or it started small and slowly due to hot components on plastic or something while the driver was unconscious.. this is kinda like the Paul Walker Carrera GT fire in to a lamp post.

Seems like the biggest danger to supercars aren’t cliffs or hillsides - it’s lamp posts!

Thanks!

Z.

Trees and lamp posts are far more dangerous bc the force of the impact is concentrated on a very small area ... this very often happens in my area as we have a lot of fast driving ppl and relatively small trees close to country roads (those with 40-60 cm diameter are the worst ... hard enough to withstand a car crash but small enough to offset most security measures in the cars structure) one of the most likely sources of fatal crashes around here ...

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Someone in the comments said he had to swerve to avoid hitting some guy on an electric scooter.

So many McLaren’s roll over, etc, with no issues at all - curious how this one caught fire. I’m guessing it went in to the pole sideways where the fuel tank is and it ruptured. Probably took a few mins before the fire started.

Always sad to see something like this happen :(

Thanks!

Z.
One thing you definitely do not want to do in a McLaren is end upside down. Doors wont open. Windows are quite small. If there's a fire, which tends to happen in any car upside down, will likely not end well.

·
Registered
50 Posts
That’s how McLarens are shipped to owners by passing through the window. That is why I picked up mine myself with an enclosed trailer and passed through the window myself wearing soft cotton jogging pants shirt and socks.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts