McLaren Life banner
41 - 60 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
I did change all 4 yesterday on my Mp4 (ome at time) no problem!
Top up steering fluid before start.
Then make steering left to right 10-15 times.
Then adjust controlbutton for N/S/T 10-15 times so you feel car moving up and down.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2019 720S Coupe Track Pack
231 Posts
Do you still have the old/broken parts?

I understand the MP4 and earlier cars have a different part number to the later cars.

2012 MP4-12C
1,358 Posts
Do you still have the old/broken parts?

I understand the MP4 and earlier cars have a different part number to the later cars.

720S P/N = 11B0225CP.01
720 accumulators are compatible with all other cars, I'm not sure what's different spec wise. I'd love to have the info off the 720 accumulators to compare.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
720 accumulators are compatible with all other cars, I'm not sure what's different spec wise. I'd love to have the info off the 720 accumulators to compare.
you mean physically or functionally compatible?
and since you've changed so many of them,is there a washer or oring to seal them to the threaded fitting or is it a conical seat?

2012 MP4-12C
1,358 Posts
you mean physically or functionally compatible?
and since you've changed so many of them,is there a washer or oring to seal them to the threaded fitting or is it a conical seat?
There is a dealer that is putting 720 accumulators on every car that needs them. I've held one in my hand from that dealer and it seemed the same but I haven't seen side by side. I wouldn't be surprised if they're identical to charge more with a different part number. They're screw off, screw on, which you gotta do kinda quickly. I haven't checked for an O ring at the fitting because it has to be done quickly, but there's gotta be one for how little torque there is on them from the factory. The cap on the new ones I don't even take off till seconds before I install it to ensure it doesn't contaminate the system.

Reactions: Jasonva

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Early ones are not painted AFAIK.

I have a sneaky feeling they have changed manufacturers - reading between the lines of the email I had.

I also think it's political that the big two manufacturers aren't willing to look into this - they don't want to step on each others toes or risk future contracts. But there are other companies who I'm sure won't have such reservations.

2012 MP4-12C
1,358 Posts
Early ones are not painted AFAIK.

I have a sneaky feeling they have changed manufacturers - reading between the lines of the email I had.

I also think it's political that the big two manufacturers aren't willing to look into this - they don't want to step on each others toes or risk future contracts. But there are other companies who I'm sure won't have such reservations.
Early car what models? Every car I've put eyes on them were painted and new ones installed have all been painted. The 720 accumulators new in box were not painted.

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Maybe it's the other way around - earlier cars are painted and recent cars (from 650S?) are unpainted. I'm only going off of what others here have posted and some posts about 720S suspension I found online.

A McLaren dealer told me there are two models, one for earlier cars and one for current models - but they didn't say they were interchangeable.

Reactions: XPRD

·
Registered
61 Posts
I think someone asked how tight to install accumulators... another post said "Torque the accumulators to 25NM" just FYI if you're looking around for it.

2012 MP4-12C
1,358 Posts
Maybe it's the other way around - earlier cars are painted and recent cars (from 650S?) are unpainted. I'm only going off of what others here have posted and some posts about 720S suspension I found online.

A McLaren dealer told me there are two models, one for earlier cars and one for current models - but they didn't say they were interchangeable.
I have an early 2012, on one of the last 2014's made they were still black. I suspect late 2019 720's are not painted because they're stainless, all other cars and timeframe are black.

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
I've seen 650S articles and eBay listings for spares showing them unpainted:

Maybe they used various suppliers and just fit whatever they have on the shelf at the time - if they are all interchangeable then it doesn't really make a difference.

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
So maybe the P/N is almost the same - and the .01 signifies an update? That's why they are interchangeable.

@Soxten I'm assuming the ones you purchased were painted black?

2012 MP4-12C
1,358 Posts
So maybe the P/N is almost the same - and the .01 signifies an update? That's why they are interchangeable.

@Soxten I'm assuming the ones you purchased were painted black?
Stamped on the parts there are different numbers from updates, not just the McLaren part number.

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
It's possible the McLaren dealer I spoke to still had 11B0225CP.01 which would be compatible for my 720S. They had stock on the shelf so I'm sure were keen to move them before getting any updated parts.

Either way, it seems they are all interchangeable and we have three part numbers:

11B0225CP - from the first MP4 onwards and painted black
11B0225CP.01 - not exactly sure when these were introduced but probably still back.
11B1538CP_02 - seems to have arrived during 650S production and is silver

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Latest Info - the black ones are actually from Integral (www.fst.com). They don't make them any longer and won't make them again.

I'm assuming the silver ones are Hydac - can anyone confirm?

Those are the big two companies. I've sent the details and pictures I have to a smaller company and await feedback.

41 - 60 of 79 Posts