2019 720S Coupe Track Pack
231 Posts
Have you cut one open yet?

How and why are they failing?

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
They look like something typical in any industrial hydraulic application.

There's dozens of companies here in Germany that make those types of things - Rexroth, Hennlich, Hydac, Olaer etc.

Can you take a close-up of the numbers on the part? And measure the thread on the connection?

Any hydraulics company worth their salt should be able to come up with an alternative - maybe even something which will last longer

I'm wondering if they have lost their nitrogen charge or if the membrane has actually split - you could take it down to a local hydraulics company and see what they make of it. They may even be able to refurbish them for a small fee.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
They look like something typical in any industrial hydraulic application.

There's dozens of companies here in Germany that make those types of things - Rexroth, Hennlich, Hydac, Olaer etc.

Can you take a close-up of the numbers on the part? And measure the thread on the connection?

Any hydraulics company worth their salt should be able to come up with an alternative - maybe even something which will last longer

I'm wondering if they have lost their nitrogen charge or if the membrane has actually split - you could take it down to a local hydraulics company and see what they make of it. They may even be able to refurbish them for a small fee.
Those cannot be rebuilt easily as they are welded. The screw apart ones like Citroen and rolls you can re-membrane.
Nitrogen charge either leaks out or membrane ruptures(more likely) and lets fluid enter the chamber. A tell tale is if power steering fluid level drops.
Simple devices but need to know fluid capacity and nitrogen pressure .

·
Registered
150 Posts
They're made by Hydac. Not a standard part from what I could find in their catalog.

HYDAC
S 1605732
I have some connections in Hydac, in industrial applications that is, so i will ask them for information.
Looks a lot like parts we change regularly as preventive maintenance in smaller systems and i think the prices are around 150-200 euro each.

·
Registered
61 Posts
OP says super easy I sure wish we had a couple pics or vid of this procedure. I may give it a go myself. Are you guys buying parts from Glen with AMH or XRPD?

·
Registered
8 Posts
They are easy.
The front 2 are located behind the battery in the front boot. Remove the battery and remove the accumulators 1 at a time using a 22mm spanner.

Rears are in the rear wheel arches.
Remove wheel and remove arch liner.
17mm spanner and 22mm spanner.

All back together and take it for a spin then top up the oil.

·
Registered
61 Posts
They are easy.
The front 2 are located behind the battery in the front boot. Remove the battery and remove the accumulators 1 at a time using a 22mm spanner.

Damn that does sound pretty simple. Did you have to top off the power steering fluid? I’m guessing it self bleeds and air out system after a few drives.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
They are easy.

Do they use a sealing washer or oring that needs to be replaced? Any other part involved other than the accumulator?

2012 MP4-12C
1,350 Posts
I have some connections in Hydac, in industrial applications that is, so i will ask them for information.
Looks a lot like parts we change regularly as preventive maintenance in smaller systems and i think the prices are around 150-200 euro each.
I've spoken with industrial suppliers, as soon as you say automotive they say "nope".

They are easy.

You got lucky. If you have front lift it's another story, and we're finding pipes are bent differently from car to car that add difficulty.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Looks like op has 2015 650s. Isn’t front lift pretty standard on them by then? Couldn’t imagine why anyone would spec one without it at this point.

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Hydac won't risk their contract, so there's not much point asking them.

Integral Accumulator GmbH are a 45 minute drive (or 25 in the 720S) from me - I'll give them a call and see if they are willing to take a look at one.

·
Registered
74 Posts

I bought this accumulator at a spare parts store that was liquidating its stock
they only had 1
these are the inscriptions

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Integral have said they may have something similar in their range - and if not the minimum order quantity would not be that much for them to make them.

They'd like to take a look - I've sent your pictures for now but they will want to actually see one to measure up.

Could I borrow your one @argo8 ? I'd pay for it of course - then once they've had a look, I'll send it back to you and you refund me. I'll cover all your costs so you won't be out of pocket. Send me a message if it's an option for you.

The alternative is I buy one myself or take one off my 720S, which I'd prefer to avoid.

There's actually a company in UK making them out of carbon - I don't suppose they weigh much but for those looking to save weight, it may be an option:

Reactions: restosud
2012 MP4-12C
1,350 Posts
Looks like op has 2015 650s. Isn’t front lift pretty standard on them by then? Couldn’t imagine why anyone would spec one without it at this point.
650s doesn't have the fronts behind the battery, IIRC. It's quite a bit easier, 12C is more difficult.

Reactions: XPRD and Jasonva

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
I got an email from Integral today, it looks like for whatever reason they can't/won't help. It sounds a little odd to me, but never mind - I'll move on to the next closest manufacturer:

The diaphragm accumulator you want is a customer-specific development for the manufacturer of the hydraulic unit. Unfortunately, we haven't had this in our portfolio for a few years and production cannot be resumed. Perhaps it is still possible to obtain spare parts from the application supplier.

21 - 40 of 79 Posts