Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Nice work .. so what 2013 spider 6k miles
Worth ? New headlights , accumulators, iris2

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hard to say without knowing the options, which affects the value significantly. Color too. I'll add that prices for ALL exotic cars seem to be creeping upwards (or, for a few select models, soaring prices). So a SWAG would be between $105k and $125k.

--Dennis

·
Registered
58 Posts
FWIW, I have kept track of every MP4-12C for sale in the US for the last four years or so (I bought my wife a 2013 12C Spider in 2018). Here's the breakdown of all, and I mean ALL of the ads posted in the US across a variety of platforms:

2012 Coupes: 365 listed for sale
2013 Coupes: 25 listed for sale
2014 Coupes: 3 listed for sale
Spiders (both 2013 & 2014, too lazy to break them out right now): 265

Generally, the cheapest 12Cs are the early 2012 Coupes (roughly speaking, those with serial numbers in the first 800), then later 2012 coupes. 2014 Spiders are the most expensive, all other things being equal. The 2013 and 2014 coupes had asking prices not terribly dissimilar to Spiders, but the sample size is too small to generalize. And I don't have actual transaction pricing.

Thus, it's somewhat unfair to compare the average asking price for a 2012 coupe vs a 2013/14 Spider, so the original premise is a bit flawed.

vty,

--Dennis
Great info. I will add that my observation in shopping-was the spyder while not a huge amount tended to be more than a coupe. But your data revealing that the 2012 coupes were the lowest price reveals that there is no special demand for early coupes with sliding door openers. At least right now. In the future, who knows.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Having the swipe doors I think lends well to the uniqueness factor of the car but thats my own opinion as I remember the good ol days of customization when people shaved their car door handles off with solenoids to open . I dont think there is any car out there I can remember that has a swipe door feature... except the new Tesla roadster?
Plus, its a good feature to prevent any unwanted entry into your car as most people end up looking for the button...lol.

·
Registered
58 Posts
My understanding is sometimes the swipe doors can be a bit finicky, especially if your hands are wet. I drive my car and sometimes in the rain. The idea of getting soaked while I fussed with the doors wasn’t appealing to me. I how often is there occasion when people try to get into the car. Many don’t even know there’s a button under the door and that it goes up. If they know that much they probably know about the swipe door feature.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
The idea of getting soaked while I fussed with the doors wasn’t appealing to me. I how often is there occasion when people try to get into the car. Many don’t even know there’s a button under the door and that it goes up. If they know that much they probably know about the swipe door feature.
No need to get rained on. You can also use the key remote - press twice to open the driver's door, and for over 2s to open the passenger door.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Prices seem higher YoY. Checked CarGurus yesterday and asking price for similar spec and miles 2013 spyder I bought last year is up about $15k compared to mine. I bought at the beginning of the pandemic so prices were likely a bit lower than usual. With crypto craze, stock market bull run and stimulus money shots, prices might keep going up till inflation really kicks in.

·
Registered
2012 MP4-12C
1,105 Posts
Spider is more desirable as two cars in one that does not loose any rigidity due to the carbon tub unlike Ferrari spiders.
Also has extra luggage space under rear hatch when roof is up.
Coupe' is more desirable to many. They're easier to work on, cheaper to maintain, less to go wrong, have a different appearance, and zero chance of a roof leak. That "extra" luggage space with the roof up is way less space than the space behind the seats in a coupe'. There are far less coupes than spyders, which can make them more desirable by being more rare.

2012 Coupes: 365 listed for sale
2013 Coupes: 25 listed for sale
2014 Coupes: 3 listed for sale
Spiders (both 2013 & 2014, too lazy to break them out right now): 265
Interesting counts there, because while I'm sure there is overlap on the same car being listed more than once, but that's a strong majority of coupes in the US listed for sale.

My understanding is sometimes the swipe doors can be a bit finicky, especially if your hands are wet. I drive my car and sometimes in the rain. The idea of getting soaked while I fussed with the doors wasn’t appealing to me. I how often is there occasion when people try to get into the car. Many don’t even know there’s a button under the door and that it goes up. If they know that much they probably know about the swipe door feature.
Once you get the hang of it, it's not a big deal. I've never found it to be a problem, especially when you can use the keyfob to open it.

Reactions: rnixon

·
Registered
58 Posts
Coupe' is more desirable to many. They're easier to work on, cheaper to maintain, less to go wrong, have a different appearance, and zero chance of a roof leak. That "extra" luggage space with the roof up is way less space than the space behind the seats in a coupe'. There are far less coupes than spyders, which can make them more desirable by being more rare.

Interesting counts there, because while I'm sure there is overlap on the same car being listed more than once, but that's a strong majority of coupes in the US listed for sale.

Once you get the hang of it, it's not a big deal. I've never found it to be a problem, especially when you can use the keyfob to open it.
For me, If I wanted a coupe I would have just gotten a Huracan or a 488 instead.
The spyder was a huge factor for me. If the coupes are so desirable and rare, why aren't they selling for more than spyders?
Maybe some counts are counted more than once, but then you need to factor that in for coupes and not just hold it against spyders.

Exactly how much stuff are you trying to store in the coupe?

Since I have owned my car I have yet to pull out the keyfob to open the car, haven't needed to.

·
Registered
2012 MP4-12C
1,105 Posts
For me, If I wanted a coupe I would have just gotten a Huracan or a 488 instead.
The spyder was a huge factor for me. If the coupes are so desirable and rare, why aren't they selling for more than spyders?
Maybe some counts are counted more than once, but then you need to factor that in for coupes and not just hold it against spyders.

Exactly how much stuff are you trying to store in the coupe?

Since I have owned my car I have yet to pull out the keyfob to open the car, haven't needed to.
I'd pick a 12C over a Huracan or 488 regardless. Convertibles cost more, every car, even if the convertible isn't as good. Rare doesn't equal costs more. The production numbers don't lie, of the 3500 cars produced around 1,600 (I think) are coupes worldwide and I think around 500-600 made it to the US.

I use my car as a daily car. I've taken it for a 4 day trip with luggage, A/V equipment, and $600 of fireworks. Two people, detailing stuff, all our luggage, and photography gear isn't uncommon. A trip to Costco? Sure do. I usually only use my key fob to open the drink if I'm outside, swiping the doors just works.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'd pick a 12C over a Huracan or 488 regardless. Convertibles cost more, every car, even if the convertible isn't as good. Rare doesn't equal costs more. The production numbers don't lie, of the 3500 cars produced around 1,600 (I think) are coupes worldwide and I think around 500-600 made it to the US.

I use my car as a daily car. I've taken it for a 4 day trip with luggage, A/V equipment, and $600 of fireworks. Two people, detailing stuff, all our luggage, and photography gear isn't uncommon. A trip to Costco? Sure do. I usually only use my key fob to open the drink if I'm outside, swiping the doors just works.
I don't daily drive my car, but in the last month I've put over 1000 miles on it. I went to costco today and got groceries and no shortage of space. We will agree to disagree.
I would have never looked at a 12c or 650s had there not been a spyder. I've owned a lot of sports cars, all coupes. I have to say this spyder is a blast with the roof down and will probably relegate the Ferrari to pretty low usage. Taking the 12c to suches loop tomorrow and put on about another 180 miles or so. I have 4 ferraris I'm bringing on the drive with me but I will be leaving mine home because I want the open air option on the drive. But I like the hard top when I want to lock it up or if it gets cold. I have a choice, With a coupe I don't.

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
Based upon other threads it appears there were slightly more coupes built than spiders. Last 2012 vin was around 1850 and there were roughly 3500 total MP4’s built. As pointed out before all 2012’s were coupes. Most 2013-14 were spiders but not all. Simple math tells you the rest.

As to which one is better that is a personal decision. Some people prefer couples, some prefer the option of open air driving. One will never be able to convince the other. I am in the latter group. While I miss the extra storage space behind the seats that inconvenience is far outweighed by the option of putting the top down on a beautiful day.

·
Registered
2012 MP4-12C
1,105 Posts
I don't daily drive my car, but in the last month I've put over 1000 miles on it. I went to costco today and got groceries and no shortage of space. We will agree to disagree.
I would have never looked at a 12c or 650s had there not been a spyder. I've owned a lot of sports cars, all coupes. I have to say this spyder is a blast with the roof down and will probably relegate the Ferrari to pretty low usage. Taking the 12c to suches loop tomorrow and put on about another 180 miles or so. I have 4 ferraris I'm bringing on the drive with me but I will be leaving mine home because I want the open air option on the drive. But I like the hard top when I want to lock it up or if it gets cold. I have a choice, With a coupe I don't.
Don't confuse less space with no space, and the limited cargo space you only have with top up and it has to be able to get HOT whatever you put in there. Inside is climate controlled. The coupe simply has more space, and I utilize it. Having a spyder isn't a bad thing, except for when it comes to doing work on it. Everything takes twice as long. There is no reason to have a spyder unless you absolutely just have to have a top down. I'd only use it down 2 months out of the year.
That, plus no open air envy when a miata pulls up next to me on a sunny day. :cool:
When it's a sunny 100 degrees with 80% humidity here, Miata's have their tops up. Actually, I rarely see a Miata without the top up from June to September here.
Based upon other threads it appears there were slightly more coupes built than spiders. Last 2012 vin was around 1850 and there were roughly 3500 total MP4’s built. As pointed out before all 2012’s were coupes. Most 2013-14 were spiders but not all. Simple math tells you the rest.

As to which one is better that is a personal decision. Some people prefer couples, some prefer the option of open air driving. One will never be able to convince the other. I am in the latter group. While I miss the extra storage space behind the seats that inconvenience is far outweighed by the option of putting the top down on a beautiful day.
We must be looking at different threads, because what I quoted is the information that's been out there for a while. Though you're looking at global figures not US figures. It wasn't till 2013-2014 that McLaren sales picked up in the US. In 2012 I think there was only 2 or 3 McLaren dealers in the US, therefore in the US there are far more spyders than coupes.

I don't know why you'd want a spyder in GA, roasting yourself in your own sweat when it's 90+ and humid with a UV index of 10 for 4 months out of the year. I suppose I'd rather be comfortable than have a top down.

Reactions: ZombiePhysicist

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
Ha! All depends upon the time of day. I drove it home from dinner at 8:30 last night and drove it to the gym this morning with the top down. It was awesome. Middle of the day from mid May through mid September top stays up.

·
Registered
2012 MP4-12C
1,105 Posts
Ha! All depends upon the time of day. I drove it home from dinner at 8:30 last night and drove it to the gym this morning with the top down. It was awesome. Middle of the day from mid May through mid September top stays up.
I do a strong majority of my driving during the day, but I'm glad to see you aren't punishing yourself!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Thank you .. helped me a lot with my decision.. I owned 456 , 612 ,
Spyder the way to go .. never owned mclaren before .. 😆 .. I can’t wait.. to experience it
2013 CPO new accumulators, headlight, ac led displays just 3000 miles .. over 12k repair to make it CPO/safety
Time to drive it like I stole it to flush all problems
597EA072-91FA-4A94-9410-EF638F5EEFE5.png
18B0BFE8-1B05-4C9D-AE0E-D757D8147FBF.jpeg

·
Registered
2012 MP4-12C
1,105 Posts
2013 CPO new accumulators, headlight, ac led displays just 3000 miles .. over 12k repair to make it CPO/safety
Time to drive it like I stole it to flush all problems
To help ease any qualms you may have had, or others observing it, all the work you had done could be done with me for $4k, a literal less than 1/3 of the price.

Reactions: rnixon

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
I didn’t pay for it . The dealer had to fix these before make it CPO one year warranty
.. good to know there is options for outside dealer network.. their hourly rate 250
Are u in California?

21 - 40 of 95 Posts