McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

is there difference in price on used 2013?
Are spider more desirable than coupe?
More expensive? What price different

thanks 馃檹 in advance.. I鈥檓 new here
Trying my luck with 12c 馃槀 .. never owned mclaren before .. always Ferrari ..

Registered
I bought my 2013 Spider last year. In my experience the spiders were definitely more expensive. At least 5-10K when I was searching.

Registered
Hi all

I would expect spiders to be cheaper, as 2013/4 coup茅s are very rare. I specifically wanted a coup茅, as the spider felt too small inside, although I don't know how many others agree.
I bought my 2013 Spider last year. In my experience the spiders were definitely more expensive. At least 5-10K when I was searching.
How many 2013/4 coup茅s did you see?

I'd expect them to command higher prices, because they're very rare, whereas 2012 only has coup茅s.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This exactly what im noticing , Around 10k at least.. how much you paid how many miles?you don鈥檛 mind me asking ..
this year pricing way more than last year ..

Registered
Hi all

Spider is more desirable as two cars in one that does not loose any rigidity due to the carbon tub unlike Ferrari spiders.
Also has extra luggage space under rear hatch when roof is up.

Registered
When I was shopping for mine a few months ago I was watching the prices over the last 6 months checking out ads every few days. Overall the spiders were in the top 25% of the prices. When I bought mine there were 3 spyders available nation wide versus about 15 or so coupes.

Spiderman
Spider is more desirable as two cars in one that does not loose any rigidity due to the carbon tub unlike Ferrari spiders.
Also has extra luggage space under rear hatch when roof is up.
I Agree, 100% the spider is more desirable as it's a hard top convertible. Top come down price go up!

Registered
The fact that a spyder version was availble is what made me consider Mclaren, I had ruled out Huracan because there was no folding hardtop. I considered 458 spyders but the pricing got too crazy on them and I already had a f430 coupe.

Registered
When I was shopping for mine a few months ago I was watching the prices over the last 6 months checking out ads every few days. Overall the spiders were in the top 25% of the prices. When I bought mine there were 3 spyders available nation wide versus about 15 or so coupes.
The question was about 2013 12Cs. You didn't see 15 2013 12C coup茅s. People are comparing the price of 2012 coup茅s with that for 2013/4 spiders, which isn't a valid comparison, IMO.

Registered
The question was about 2013 12Cs. You didn't see 15 2013 12C coup茅s. People are comparing the price of 2012 coup茅s with that for 2013/4 spiders, which isn't a valid comparison, IMO.
The op asked about 2013. Looking at a quick search the avg price for a 2013 coupe tends to be a bit higher than a 2012 coupe. Why is it not a valid comparison, is there something vastly different on a 2012 that makes it special?

Registered
2012 MP4-12C
Every 2012 12C was a Coup茅

80% or more of the 2013 & 2014 12c鈥檚 were spiders.
This makes 2013 & 2014 Coup茅s extremely rare
Agreed. When I was shopping for my 12c, there was a yellow 2013 and it was same price as 13-14 spiders. My 2012 was about 20k less than 2013 coupe last year.

Premium Member
2012 "Swipe" 12C
Rarity does not always equal more valuable.

Beauty (thus value) is in the eyes of the beholder...

I love the body lines of my 12C Coup茅 over the look of broken roofline of the spider... and I鈥檓 not really a 鈥渢op down鈥 kind of driver.

So for me that means I get the car I desire for less than the cost of a spider.

It鈥檚 a win-win for my situation, and also for others 鈥渓ike me鈥 that prefer the Coup茅

Registered
The op asked about 2013. Looking at a quick search the avg price for a 2013 coupe tends to be a bit higher than a 2012 coupe. Why is it not a valid comparison, is there something vastly different on a 2012 that makes it special?
How many sales of 2013 coup茅s have you seen?

The 2012 coup茅 does have swipe doors ..

Registered
How many sales of 2013 coup茅s have you seen?

The 2012 coup茅 does have swipe doors ..

The coupes I鈥檝e seen for 2013 don鈥檛 reflect much of a higher price except that it is a year newer. Swipe doors don鈥檛 necessarily raise the value imho. When I started looking I knew while cool, I absolutely did not want swipe doors because sometimes they could be a bit finicky plus I didn鈥檛 want to give lessons to every new passenger. Of course after I knew the particulars of the spider I knew it had Ben discontinued.

Registered
Rarity does not always equal more valuable.

Beauty (thus value) is in the eyes of the beholder...

I love the body lines of my 12C Coup茅 over the look of broken roofline of the spider... and I鈥檓 not really a 鈥渢op down鈥 kind of driver.

So for me that means I get the car I desire for less than the cost of a spider.

It鈥檚 a win-win for my situation, and also for others 鈥渓ike me鈥 that prefer the Coup茅
We鈥檙e totally opposite. I like the looks of the coupe, but don鈥檛 find the spyder to look any less attractive. The spyder is the biggest factor in getting a McLaren for myself. The higher spyder cost was not much compared to going from coupe to spyder in 458s.
I thought I would enjoy open air driving, but now that I have it I can鈥檛 believe how much more I enjoy it. As I鈥檝e said before my f430 coupe will be driven a lot less.

Registered
FWIW, I have kept track of every MP4-12C for sale in the US for the last four years or so (I bought my wife a 2013 12C Spider in 2018). Here's the breakdown of all, and I mean ALL of the ads posted in the US across a variety of platforms:

2012 Coupes: 365 listed for sale
2013 Coupes: 25 listed for sale
2014 Coupes: 3 listed for sale
Spiders (both 2013 & 2014, too lazy to break them out right now): 265

Generally, the cheapest 12Cs are the early 2012 Coupes (roughly speaking, those with serial numbers in the first 800), then later 2012 coupes. 2014 Spiders are the most expensive, all other things being equal. The 2013 and 2014 coupes had asking prices not terribly dissimilar to Spiders, but the sample size is too small to generalize. And I don't have actual transaction pricing.

Thus, it's somewhat unfair to compare the average asking price for a 2012 coupe vs a 2013/14 Spider, so the original premise is a bit flawed.

vty,

--Dennis

1 - 20 of 84 Posts