McLaren Life banner

121 - 124 of 124 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,713 Posts
Well, all I can say is I ran a full-color one-page ad in the Dupont Registry one time, and it cost me nearly $20k.
AND, Knight International has a very impressive web page. Would seem to be a very expensive hoax, if it is one.
"Hoax" is too strong a word, but I think "typical exotic car dealer marketing bullshit" would be accurate.
Dealers in the rare stuff do this kind of thing all the time. The absolutely key thing for them is to get a lead. If they can't get a lead from a seller, the next best thing is to get a lead from a buyer; they then take that lead and go fishing with owners (or actually more often with other dealers and brokers, who might happen to know of a car for sale somewhere) - "I have someone who's interested in your car, might you consider selling it?" That's the game they try to play.
The fact that they have not got for sale the exact car they are advertising is almost irrelevant. They'll just say, "Bad luck. I have a sale agreed on the car that was advertised, but I have another thought because I know a dozen or so F1 owners. What sort of price did you have in mind...?" And so it goes.
Ironically, the above mentioned London dealer David Clark pulled exactly this stunt on me when I responded to an ad he had placed in one of the British magazines. "I don't think that particular car is still for sale, but...blah, blah, blah."

·
Premium Member
2,234 Posts
I mean no disrespect to anyone's business, but WTF is Knight International? It's possible that I wouldn't have heard of them operating in the US, but on their website they claim to have a London office - but no address is listed and no ID of any kind shows up in searches for a Knight International in London. I have a pretty good handle on the exotic car dealers here in the UK, especially in London, especially if they're involved with F1s, and I have never heard of Knight International. There might be a guy called Gary Knight who has been involved in some exotic car sales, and of course anything is possible, but I am very sceptical that Knight International "have" two F1s for sale.
They have a website, a call centre number in the UK and one in the USA and more than one email address.

Looks legit to me.

·
Premium Member
3,713 Posts
They have a website, a call centre number in the UK and one in the USA and more than one email address.

Looks legit to me.
It depends on how one interprets language. 'Legit' as in 'not illegal', or as in 'actually is what this Gary Knight hopes the reader will think it is'?

Yes they have a website. I too have a website. There are more than one billion websites. To have a website costs £10 a year. I'm afraid that having a website proves nothing.
To have an email address costs £0 a year. There are many billions of them. I don't know of anyone in my acquaintance who does not have one, or more than one.

The Knight International website has a list of what it grandly calls 'GLOBAL OFFICES'. London is listed, along with a bunch of other cities. All the website gives is an outer London phone number indicated to be a call centre number. A call centre number is not an 'office', it is a person who is paid peanuts to answer the phone for hundreds of unrelated persons.

This fellow may occasionally get involved in the sale of an exotic car, but unless I see some real evidence, in the form of proper physical facilities in all the 'GLOBAL CITIES" in which he claims to have offices (including, he would have us believe, South Africa, France, Turkey, Australia, Thailand, Hong Kong, Germany, Canada and Dubai), I call it BS.

Rather than being the proprietor of a global empire, it is much more likely that this is a guy operating out of his kitchen, or maybe a small one- or two-person rented office space. I wish him no harm, but the claims and implications of his website and advertising are simply not credible.

·
Premium Member
2,234 Posts
When I said it seems legit to me, what I meant was I wouldn’t trust them to sell my car, let alone one that is worth more than £1000.00

121 - 124 of 124 Posts