McLaren Life banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could someone give me an idea of the expected running cost's for the MP4 12C. At the moment I'm wheelchair bound after having major surgery to break my lower left leg in 2 places and fit a carbon fibre and stainless steel cage. And my upper leg was broken in one place, rotated and fixed in place with a metal rod and screws.All with a view to make my leg straighter. On top of that my entire right arm was amputated at the end of June too. I'm in this unfortunate predicament because a car driver says he didn't see me as he pulled out from a central reservation on a dual carriageway, leaving me nowhere to go other than the front of his car then into a metal fence surrounding a field.
During my very long stay in hospital I made the decision never to ride a motorbike again. You may think this would be the obvious decision to make but motorcycles where such a large part of my life that it was going to be very difficult to turn away from. The problem was made worse by the fact my wife still rides her Ducati Monster and she works for my best friend in the clothing department of a Ducati/Kawasaki dealers. So I decided if I couldn't have my Superbikes I'd have a supercar once my insurance paid out what should be a substantial sum in compensation.
At the moment I drive a 57 plate 335i M Sport (auto) but my plan has always been to buy a new Porsche 911 Carrera 4s but now I keep looking at the MP. I made some enquiries about the paddle shift, as I only have the one arm conventional paddles don't work for me but I've been made to believe its actually possible to push the left paddle forward to gear up. Whith the costs of second hand cars dropping I could get a very low mileage car with quite a few extras for not much more than the price of a well specked 911 the only un known quantity for me was servicing/running costs. So any info you could give me will be much appreciated.

All the best.
Dean Gibson

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
So first off, so sorry to hear of that terrible accident, and so freak'n impressed that you're marshaling on to go about your life with new happy adventures.

Ok, with regard to the paddles, absolutely. I drive on handed all the time, and it becomes rather intuitive. I love the rocker.

As for the expenses, it's pricey compared to a Toyota or even corvette (in the states), but relatively cheap for a super car. You can expect your tires to last about 10k miles (I believe replacements cost about $2k), annual service is about $1800. It gets about 19mpg in NYC and spirited driving (pretty good). Insurance is about $1200 more per year than my 5yr old corvette ($3200 per year--that's with a maxed umbrella policy).

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Giby. The running costs are reasonable for a super bike fast car and only a small premium over a 911. Tyre cost is less than a 911 for me as I used to get 5000 miles out of my 911's but get 9 to 10k out of the 12C. You can call a dealer and get service costs, brake replacement costs for your country........here in the UK we pay 20% tax.

The paddles are easy one handed, pull with fingers, push with thumb through the steering wheel.. One bonus is that the auto box has a different set up in normal,sport and track with telepathic ability to be in the correct gear for fun ballistic acceleration.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Exactly what the guys have said..^
I've found tyre wear to be similar to my 911 as in 10K on a set.
I also select one handed quite a bit, so not a problem there at all, but the auto in sport really does seem to get the gears I'm after anyhow..
Service wise the 12C is annually where the 911 is 2 years or 20K, so I've found the service costs to be double of my 911 ownership.
Access in and out of the car is not as easy as the 911 but when in, the entire experience is easily twice as much as the 911.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank's for the quick replies guys. The idea of a 12c is getting more realistic every time I hear about it. The service costs sound reasonable and as for the tyres there actually cheap compared to my BM which runs 19'' runflats which run at over £800.00 a pair for the rears. And to add insult to injury the ride quality is rubbish. As far as getting in and out of the car I don't think it'll be a massive problem. I actually purchased a 2013 Lotus Elise, And if you can get in and out of one of those anythings possible. Unfortunately the dealer had to return my cash as there were problems trying to get the auto gearbox conversion to work properly.
One other question. Is there the option to extend the manufacturer's warranty at the end of its term as you can with the Porsche. I think I'd find the idea of running a car of this nature without a warranty a bit of a worry ?

Once again thanks for the replies.
Drive safe.

Dean

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
Thank's for the quick replies guys. The idea of a 12c is getting more realistic every time I hear about it. The service costs sound reasonable and as for the tyres there actually cheap compared to my BM which runs 19'' runflats which run at over £800.00 a pair for the rears. And to add insult to injury the ride quality is rubbish. As far as getting in and out of the car I don't think it'll be a massive problem. I actually purchased a 2013 Lotus Elise, And if you can get in and out of one of those anythings possible. Unfortunately the dealer had to return my cash as there were problems trying to get the auto gearbox conversion to work properly.
One other question. Is there the option to extend the manufacturer's warranty at the end of its term as you can with the Porsche. I think I'd find the idea of running a car of this nature without a warranty a bit of a worry ?

Once again thanks for the replies.
Drive safe.

Dean
Yes you can extend the warranty Dean... I think it's 2000 or there abouts but worth checking the price. I might be wrong. You'll love the 12c... auto mode, which incidentally is very different whether you're in normal sport or track mode, and one handed up or down gear changes suggest it'll be perfect. Sorry to hear about your incident... hope that the 12c will help keep a smile on your face. !

·
Super Moderator
4,449 Posts
Dean,

It is possible to extend the warranty at least one additional year. I was given a price in USD that I currently can't remember and couldn't find quickly in e-mail. I'll see if I can dig that up (I think I posted it here a while, just need to figure out where!)

You might want to take a look at the McLaren Qualified (their CPO) program. It has some of the details.

http://www.mclarenqualified.com/

I've found that the US dealers don't really do a good job of keeping all the cars they have under the Qualified program updated on that site, but do an excellent job of listing them on their dealer site :D Not sure how it is in the UK though.

-Jamie.

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
:rolleyes:
Dean,

It is possible to extend the warranty at least one additional year. I was given a price in USD that I currently can't remember and couldn't find quickly in e-mail. I'll see if I can dig that up (I think I posted it here a while, just need to figure out where!)

You might want to take a look at the McLaren Qualified (their CPO) program. It has some of the details.

http://www.mclarenqualified.com/

I've found that the US dealers don't really do a good job of keeping all the cars they have under the Qualified program updated on that site, but do an excellent job of listing them on their dealer site :D Not sure how it is in the UK though.

-Jamie.
My experience is that they try and get the seller to agree the extension of the warranty but it's clear which ones are extended and which aren't. It's rare they aren't extended

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Hi Dean,
Fellow biker here, as a few of us are. You've really been through the mill buddy, thank God you survived as it sounds like it was a big one.

Clearly you're in the UK, going by your references. Where are you? Be happy to meet and explain/demonstrate a few things when you're ready. Good luck in any case.

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Hi Dean,
Fellow biker here, as a few of us are. You've really been through the mill buddy, thank God you survived as it sounds like it was a big one.

Clearly you're in the UK, going by your references. Where are you? Be happy to meet and explain/demonstrate a few things when you're ready. Good luck in any case.
Same here Dean,let us know what part of the country you are in ,we are spread wide,there will be someone on here not far away ??

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys for your offer of meeting Up. It would be good to actually see a car in person as up to now its been car mags only .But I live in Norfolk so I'm a bit out of the way. As I said earlier I'm not what you could call mobile at the moment due to the cage on my left leg which is planned to be there for the next four months. And I still have to get my insurance compensation sorted, I'm hoping that will all be done and dusted next year but at the end of the day it's down to the lawyers and the courts and they don't normaly do things quickly. It would be good to get up close and personal with a 12c. My closest Mac dealer is London but they dont appear to have much used stock. So for now I'll keep on reading about them and watching the odd u tube clip until my lifes back on track and I can get out there and try a few on for size LOL.

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
NORFOLK ,you never know who might be in your neck of the woods !! Depends if the members in your area read this thread,it might be easier than you think .......I will keep my fingers crossed for you.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts