McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am seeing a number of 650’s dipping into the 130k range with 10-15k miles!! WTF? Why don’t these damn cars hold any value lol. I always imagined they would bottom out around $130-$140k but not so soon. I guess the cost of ownership has a lot to do with it and all the newer models. I’m sure people are trading it in and taking a bath.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I find the 12C better looking. It's hard to know what many actually sell for. The way McLaren is managing parts and ESC prices can't be helping.

IMO, the bottom for good cars will be lower than many want to accept. High repair costs and cheaper, newer other performance cars, albeit without the same finesse, will hit prices as ours age. I'll still enjoy mine :)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 650s is A TON of car for low 100's. Crazy to think about. At least the cost of ownership will weed a lot of people out which is good and bad. Good for those wanting something they don't see a lot on the streets...bad for the resale =(

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
If there was a single moment in time that was the genesis of McLaren Automotive's wayward product strategy, it was the 650S.

Alas, digression.

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
^ Interesting comment, can you elaborate?
Sure, but I will tread lightly as after all, I was simply an early 12C adopter that was frustrated by MA throwing in the towel on the model and that became increasingly disgruntled by subsequent sales and marketing decisions.

That said, whether ultimately a positive or negative move, in retrospect one would have to at least admit that releasing the 650S was an unorthodox play that probably did a fair amount to confuse both the ownership base and the general public. It was a rushed band-aid, effectively a front bumper facelift and mild calibration to the engine and suspension stiffness, that was pawned as a new model. That is not to speak harshly of the car itself, of course it was as competent as the MP4-12C and we argued here for months on whether or not it was better, or just somewhat different.

In any case, it was a surprise, as most felt (and were told) that MA would mimic Ferrari's product cadence in terms of base coupe, base spider, track coupe & spider, etc. I don't think the kink and resulting uncertainty it cultivated did much to help the resale market for McLaren cars. In fact, I think it caused a drag on new car sales, too, in the long run.

Of course, many shenanigans and models have ensued and, seemingly, the cadence of models from base through to LT is now established. I suppose the 650S is now sort of just lost in the fray of variants. For example, one would not expect to see them do the same thing with the 570S or 720S models; I suppose we are already past that point. So the 650S remains this sort of outlier; I don't think the used market understands where to place it, or value it.

The counter-argument, maybe, is that the MP4-12C is the outlier and the product cycle really began with the 650S. But that presumes that they are 2 different cars, which they really aren't.

The counter-counter argument, is that resale is bad simply because it is a McLaren. But there are enough furiously-debated threads about that already.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Really appreciate your perspective...if the 650 is an outlier in the scheme of things, how would you view the 675LT? The reason that I ask, is that I have been debating a 650 vs 675 with the $100K delta. Leaning towards the 675, but maybe I should just wait to see how the 720s does once that LT comes out, along with the next gen.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The 650s looks much better then a 12c. The 650 is also a much better car all around then a 12c. Others seem to think so too:

·
Registered
62 Posts
The outlier is the mp4-12c. That was the brand launch car, and while it reset the bar in the industry performance wise, it had to be refreshed with a new moniker to fix its lackluster front design and to simplify the model designation to something easily digestible and logical.

However, the 675 is the car to have. It is absolutely worth the premium, is closer in performance to a p1 than it is to a 650 and is greater than the sum of its parts. Bonus is it actually has meaningful appreciation potential. Several collectors with world class collections say it is their favorite car.

·
Registered
514 Posts
The 650s looks much better then a 12c.
That's obviously a personal thing - I disagree. I don't like the looks of any of the post-12C McLarens - they're just too .. American. Less really is more, IMO.

The 650 is also a much better car all around then a 12c.
I've not driven one, but you would hope that they'd made improvements.

We're lucky to have either in our garages, but the 12C styling is, IMO, elegant. Being cheaper doesn't hurt either.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I really prefer the analog interior dash of the 650/675 vs the 720s, plus there will always be a faster model. The 650 seems like a really great all around car, but I wont be driving daily so might as well go with 675. Both seem like an awful lot of car for the money these days.

·
Registered
494 Posts
There are a finite number of 12C/650S out there and it's arguably a much smaller fleet than 570 and 720 cars. Today, you should drive and enjoy these cars. The value may be revived down the road if and when the Mclaren brand survives and thrives as a successful sports car company.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Really appreciate your perspective...if the 650 is an outlier in the scheme of things, how would you view the 675LT? The reason that I ask, is that I have been debating a 650 vs 675 with the $100K delta. Leaning towards the 675, but maybe I should just wait to see how the 720s does once that LT comes out, along with the next gen.

waiting argument means never jumping in. no one can tell you if the delta between a 650 and a 675 is worth it because metrics wise on the street is moot. The only value is what it makes you feel behind the wheel.
IMO if you have not experienced a lot of high HP cars, the 650 is plenty. If you have good experience with fast cars, it might take the 675 to make that "spark" and connection, which you will quickly realize the 650 just wont do it.

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
In this context the positive is that the LT IS the car that the market was expecting to follow the 12C. There is much less confusion about what it is, and what it isn't.

The negative is that MA departed again by marketing the 570S variants as yet another class of vehicles even though one can argue, again, that they really aren't. So now you have an unknown number of 600LT cars out there that will, until the end of time, always be cross-shopped by potential 675LT buyers.

As kamran says, if McLaren is ultimately very successful, like Ferrari, I don't think it will matter. If they aren't, or are only moderately successful, I think it will matter quite a lot, in terms of resale. I mean 15 years from now.

·
Owner
188 Posts
The 650 for $150k or less is a TREMENDOUS value-car.
I bought mine for $ 165k, kept it for about 6 months and got $ 167k on trade. I thought they were going to hold in that range - I just checked and I haven't seen a single one for LESS thatn $ 150k - you have a few on ebay where they are ASKING for $ 130k or best offer, but I can guarantee you the reserve is much higher and they won't let them go for that cheap.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I bought mine for $ 165k, kept it for about 6 months and got $ 167k on trade. I thought they were going to hold in that range - I just checked and I haven't seen a single one for LESS thatn $ 150k - you have a few on ebay where they are ASKING for $ 130k or best offer, but I can guarantee you the reserve is much higher and they won't let them go for that cheap.
Are you only checking eBay? If so, that is a very limited source. There are a number of clean 650s in the 140 range on other sites like CarGurus, autotrader, etc.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Several for less than $150k

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,
New Mclaren owner here..
Just bought a 2015 650S , previously had Ferrari's, and Aston's and so far, really love the car. I've been reading a lot of posts about the 650S , but my initial impression is, it is a true super-car. Acceleration is impressive, but the ride is also quite comfortable. Anything I should know in terms of reliability or potential service issues?

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
The 650s looks much better then a 12c. The 650 is also a much better car all around then a 12c. Others seem to think so too:

Eh, last time I checked 675LT were still getting the same dash errors as a 12C, accumulators go just the same way, and if you stepped blindfolded into a 650S you couldn't even tell me if it was a 12C or 650S.

The both depreciated at the same pace for the same reason: They were the same car to just about everyone, headlights and 25 hp/tq or not.

If someone asked me if they should by a $110K 12C or a $140K 650S, I'd tell them to buy a 570S.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
About this Discussion
65 Replies
23 Participants
Iron5
McLaren Life
McLaren Life is the best McLaren forum to discuss reliability, problems & more for supercar models like the F1, P1, 570, 650, 12C, and 720S!
Full Forum Listing