McLaren Life banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
911 Turbo RWD 900hp, 2009 Gallardo LP560-4, 2015 Huracan LP610-4
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Coming from verde ithaca lp560-4 & currently RWD Converted 911T, & LP610-4 verde mantis, I want to buy a 2016-17 or even 2018 570S, this one does not need to be in any shade of green...zero special attraction...anyway I am new to McLaren, mostly have heard horror stories, unreliable, dealer invoice makes people cringe, but great fun cars when they are in the mood to work as they should. What should I know before purchasing, should I stay away from the 570S? Are they good cars? How many miles are they good for? How may Miles should I purchase one with already? Clutch life? Best way to drive them? Realistic average cost of ownership?

·
2012 MP4-12C
918 Posts
You are asking a McLaren community if they think McLarens are good cars... care to guess what the answer will be? :)

There are TONS of threads on this forum answering your questions above. Search and you shall find your answers.

In summary, I have spoken to very few people who regret buying a McLaren, especially those who purchased used to avoid the initial drive-off depreciation. It is not backed by a major parent company (Audi/VW in the case of Lambo), but most maintenance issues (costs and frequency of occurrence) are very comparable across this level of car from what I have seen.

Reactions: vinnyb

·
Registered
199 Posts
Coming from verde ithaca lp560-4 & currently RWD Converted 911T, & LP610-4 verde mantis, I want to buy a 2016-17 or even 2018 570S, this one does not need to be in any shade of green...zero special attraction...anyway I am new to McLaren, mostly have heard horror stories, unreliable, dealer invoice makes people cringe, but great fun cars when they are in the mood to work as they should. What should I know before purchasing, should I stay away from the 570S? Are they good cars? How many miles are they good for? How may Miles should I purchase one with already? Clutch life? Best way to drive them? Realistic average cost of ownership?
The 570s might be more reliable than the 720s given the more conventional suspension setup. It utilizes the second generation monocell structure with thinner sills than the 12c/650s allowing for easier entry and exit while maintaining almost 99% rigidity in the spider version. The engine is capable of producing a lot more power and will be reliable (to like even 80k to 100k miles) if you do not have a lemon. Do a pre purchase inspection and get a car that was driven constantly. Dont be afraid of miles. My recommendation would be, if you wanna keep the car for a while get one with 10k miles and take care of it. If you want one for fun get one with 20k miles and sell it afterwards. If transmission is not faulty it should give you a long life too, havent heard of clutches being changed too often before tens of thousands of miles at times (unlike the e gear cluthes :p )

1 - 4 of 4 Posts