McLaren Life banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last weekend I had to clean the poor girl as she was so dirty and remarked stone chips in the front bumper. Mark adviced Xpel Ultimate so I start reading about it. I don't know to believe the add that its self healing so pls jump in and give me your experience.
I've talked with local car wrappers and they hdon't have this product but will try to get it.
Did you guys wrap the entire car or only certain parts? If only certain parts is there a noticable difference?

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Belg. I wrapped the front bumper, bonnet,wings top and sides, mirrors,A-posts, door lowers, turning vane front edges plus in and out surfaces with Ventureshield.

9000 MILES and chip free despite travelling behind other vehicles and on stone tar roads in Scotland, the Alps, Dolomites, French back roads, Woking and on track.

Interesting the rear wheels are stone chipped and pock marked.

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
You have to take it with a pinch of salt,its only as good as the size of stone that hits it!!! Mine is self healing and has kept all the stone chips off but 2,which must have been sizable as they penitrated the film,ive yet to pur hot water on the film to re heal,but in some ways its pointless as the damage is now done:confused::(

·
Registered
261 Posts
You have to take it with a pinch of salt,its only as good as the size of stone that hits it!!! Mine is self healing and has kept all the stone chips off but 2,which must have been sizable as they penitrated the film,ive yet to pur hot water on the film to re heal,but in some ways its pointless as the damage is now done:confused::(
Andy, pal. :)

Would you think a respray would be due in another two or three years?
If so, would a non-elite paint make sense for if we're intent on heavy use?

One may as well factor in the idea now.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Belg. I wrapped the front bumper, bonnet,wings top and sides, mirrors,A-posts, door lowers, turning vane front edges plus in and out surfaces with Ventureshield.
Same people and same places wrapped on mine.. not sure on the self healing properties as I have two lovely chips in the wrap across the front bumper ( where I'd expect to get them).

However it's better than a chip in the paint, so I consider it job done and very happy with the results.:)

·
Registered
11,177 Posts

With hindsight i would now go for a non-elite paint,that because the car is a keeper and will also be a high mileage,you live and learn !!!

·
Registered
4,955 Posts

I mentioned to Mclaren London that the VR paint is very soft and they said all the paints are soft because they are water based and not baked.........so wrapping seems mandatory if you want to delay paint degradation.

The non elite paints must be cheaper to respray as less technology and less difficult to get a colour match?

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I have the same areas as RIC wrapped and it's superb, not a mark on it. It also gives considerable peace of mind when you hear stones hitting the car, knowing it's suitably protected.
However, if I were doing it again, I'd use Expel Ultimate. Have a look at the thread below to see it in action.
http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/170292-nissan-gtr-paintshield-tint.html
Installed at a good friend of mines premises, he is renowned as one of the best wrappers in the UK.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I definitely want to go for that Xpel but no dealer is using it over here. The shop said they will try to get the product.
For those guys who didn't do the entire car. Is there any colour difference?

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
I definitely want to go for that Xpel but no dealer is using it over here. The shop said they will try to get the product.
People cannot tell it is wrapped unless they are detailers and they are a funny...........sorry experts of a kind.

Truly. in my eyes it is clear and unobtrusive but chips are like light emitting diodes.......know what I mean?

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good idea Mcdc. That he stops in Belgium before going to Switzerland!!

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Also good idea. .. As long as my car gets wrapped I'm happy. That stone chip in the bumper is really sticking out an eye. (Sounds strange to translate this expression in english)

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
@Naranja: Would you think your friend could travel to the continent ? I would love him to wrap my MSO bumper with Expel Ultimate or Ventureshield.
I'd bet he would, but the costs would be prohibitive wouldn't they? I will text him in principle though.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Belg, I think the Ultimate has to be installed by an official dealer. Hopefully they are and they can get it.
I am a bit of a cleaning nut; snow foam, two buckets, lambs wool mitts, microfibre towels etc etc (sad, some might say) and I love the clear protection. You can barely tell it's on, honestly, unless you can find an edge. I polish and wax mine completely normally and it comes up a treat, no colour difference at all. (For info, my car is MO).

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
If the product is that good, why is no one selling or installing in your neck of the woods. It could be a great venture for someone out there in the European community to invest in. Boy if I only lived out there I think I would jump into the opportunity, location would have to be in the German, Swiss or Austrian alps though. Cheers.....??

1 - 19 of 19 Posts