McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.ferrarisanfrancisco.com/...Bay-Area-4d53bc3140463812000dd87443f3b11d.htm

267k new? You an probably get this for $200k? I'm amazed to see such a great car have 25% depreciation in one year and 725 miles? Granted there may be a story on the car - but its being sold by a top notch Ferrari Dealer so I wouldnt expect it. I keep thinking about ordering a spider but seeing these prices makes me want to wait a couple of years.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I wonder what the logic was for the owner to sell with so few miles.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
http://www.ferrarisanfrancisco.com/...Bay-Area-4d53bc3140463812000dd87443f3b11d.htm

267k new? You an probably get this for $200k? I'm amazed to see such a great car have 25% depreciation in one year and 725 miles? Granted there may be a story on the car - but its being sold by a top notch Ferrari Dealer so I wouldnt expect it. I keep thinking about ordering a spider but seeing these prices makes me want to wait a couple of years.
It's more like 22.6% depreciation, well I would have to say that the guys at Ferrari must have raped the living day lights out of the original. Now in return they are trying to instill fear in current McLaren owners, by selling at a ridiculously low price. If I didn't already own a McLaren I would do diligence on this vehicle and if everything comes up squeaky clean, buy this car without delay. Cheers.....??

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's more like 22.6% depreciation, well I would have to say that the guys at Ferrari must have raped the living day lights out of the original. Now in return they are trying to instill fear in current McLaren owners, by selling at a ridiculously low price. If I didn't already own a McLaren I would do diligence on this vehicle and if everything comes up squeaky clean, buy this car without delay. Cheers.....??

I agree - the price makes this car very tempting. My point on 25% was you can assume a car listed for $207k will likely sell for $200k which is 25%.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Agreed at 200K, it's a good price with little down side.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
There are almost 50 coupes for sale here in the USA. 50-60k off retail seems to be the going rate for a low mile under 1k mile car.

Figure the first owner lost 50-70k, the next owner will most certainly lose the same amount over 2-3 years.

Owner might have traded up to a 458 Spyder, and or the MP4 Spyder?

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
There are almost 50 coupes for sale here in the USA. 50-60k off retail seems to be the going rate for a low mile under 1k mile car.

Figure the first owner lost 50-70k, the next owner will most certainly lose the same amount over 2-3 years.

Owner might have traded up to a 458 Spyder, and or the MP4 Spyder?
It's what you call desperation for some, possibly due to the state of the economy which has impacted their financial obligations. Or as mentioned above, individuals that have a need to get rid of what they currently have in order to have the next trending product. Some of these characters have more money then brains, all of which creates a level of uncertainty and insecurity for those who currently own this beautiful car. Yes cars do depreciate some more then others, these levels are influenced by those who are looking to sell and their reasons for selling which in turn hurts us all. The winner in this scenario is the future owner of this cutting edge vehicle. Cheers.....??

·
Registered
380 Posts
People order the car and then they can't get in and out of it
It is like crawling into a mine shaft. ;)
The car kinda demands that the driver not have a large belly :D:)
Fellows: Are you joking about people selling the car because they aren't nimble enough to get in and out? I find that amazing. I would call through a soda straw if a 12C was at the other end.

If someone has too much time on their hands, how about posting an amateur video of someone getting in and out of the car. You could ham it up and make it pretty funny.

:D:D

·
Registered
418 Posts
Exactly, Ferrari trying desperately in the US at least to screw over the McLaren market.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Exactly, Ferrari trying desperately in the US at least to screw over the McLaren market.
I wouldn't be surprised by this. I can see a scenario where a hot car like the 458 Spider is offered to the McLaren owner over list price, with the premium being paid out with the reduced price in the McLaren trade in. The McLaren is then sold under market to depress prices. Just like the stock market, it only takes a small number of transactions to set a price. It costs Ferrari very little and isn't that risky since it only takes a small number of cars and not even all at once. You notice also in this particular case the car is being sold by Ferrari and not at auction. Why wouldn't they unload it at an auction yet sell it at a Ferrari dealer? So they can keep the price low. Look how much attention this has gotten already, with a world wide audience no less.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised by this. I can see a scenario where a hot car like the 458 Spider is offered to the McLaren owner over list price, with the premium being paid out with the reduced price in the McLaren trade in. The McLaren is then sold under market to depress prices. Just like the stock market, it only takes a small number of transactions to set a price. It costs Ferrari very little and isn't that risky since it only takes a small number of cars and not even all at once. You notice also in this particular case the car is being sold by Ferrari and not at auction. Why wouldn't they unload it at an auction yet sell it at a Ferrari dealer? So they can keep the price low. Look how much attention this has gotten already, with a world wide audience no less.
Would not be surprise and must say it's very effective and cheap way to screw a competitor

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
If this is Fezza being aggressive then it is war of a very dirty kind.

Why would they bother?

Surely they benefit from residuals staying healthy as the gap between trading your Mac for a Ferrari is less?

Ferrari survive by selling new cars not second hand cars. Their price point survives by maintenance of the brochure selling price which is a combination, firstly and key, of supply lagging demand and, secondly, residual values drawing punters in.

·
Registered
499 Posts
If this is Fezza being aggressive then it is war of a very dirty kind.

Why would they bother?

Surely they benefit from residuals staying healthy as the gap between trading your Mac for a Ferrari is less?

Ferrari survive by selling new cars not second hand cars. Their price point survives by maintenance of the brochure selling price which is a combination, firstly and key, of supply lagging demand and, secondly, residual values drawing punters in.
I wouldn't underestimate the competition between the 2 companies. From road to track, they are head-to-head. Again, it doesn't take very much to damage your competition with the strategy to depress their residuals. The conditions are not always available to do this, but right now, one manufacturer can get a price premium while the other cannot, for essentially directly competitive cars.

I am speculating of course...

·
Registered
691 Posts
I'm doubtful. First, it's a dealer controlling this, not Ferrari, and I know all too well that dealerships have their eyes so firmly fixed on the money that they're not likely to fall on this sword.

...unless there's a conspiracy and Ferrari is paying their dealers to...

...which would explain...

...and...

Never mind.

·
Owner
893 Posts
Fellows: Are you joking about people selling the car because they aren't nimble enough to get in and out? I find that amazing. I would call through a soda straw if a 12C was at the other end.

If someone has too much time on their hands, how about posting an amateur video of someone getting in and out of the car. You could ham it up and make it pretty funny.

George .... Speaking just for myself ...... I was joking !!;)
Cheers:)

·
Registered
691 Posts

I think that soundtrack to this video pretty much has to be the Benny Hill "chase" music ("Yakety Sax")

·
Registered
359 Posts
No way!
Local F car dealer took 12C in part x, to start with they went high on sale price as it's their money and eventually after 4 months had to drop £20k. Market sets the price!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts