McLaren Life banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Modding this would be ruining it. I would NEVER ever do that to it. If I want something changed, I will get MSO to do it when it is built, so it remains factory original.

It certainly doesn't need more power.

One (reversible) exception though. I will probably fit the valve mod, so they stay open.

·
Registered
2019 720S MO
59 Posts
This thread sounds like we are on the Porsche forum with bunch of grandpas whining how modifying a car is stupid. They are the same group that puts 500 miles only a year on the car driving to local cars and coffee . Most of them don't know what launch control is and think that going WOT puts too much stress on the car .

·
Registered
151 Posts
This thread sounds like we are on the Porsche forum with bunch of grandpas whining how modifying a car is stupid. They are the same group that puts 500 miles only a year on the car driving to local cars and coffee . Most of them don't know what launch control is and think that going WOT puts too much stress on the car .
Is everyone just going to take that??

·
Registered
562 Posts
Is everyone just going to take that??
He's entitled to his opinion and he may be right :)

I have habitually always modded my Pork and did the 720S at a lower level, exhaust, CF bits, but I do tend to agree with the grandpas on here that the 765 is not a car to mod but I guess we need to wait and see what goodies are available.

Exhaust valve mod will be up there for Euro/Oz owners apart from that the engine doesn't need more power as it seems limited by traction. If someone comes up with a wheel tyre (wider) package that really improves traction without compromising handling and doesn't add weight then that is something I may consider. Apart from that I'm struggling to think what else can be "improved" ?

·
Registered
985 Posts
I commute in my 12C, but I also have an ESC, which is primarily to cover the drivetrain. It would, therefore, be dumb to modify it.

Many talk of catless downpipes, which are illegal (road use) in the US and some other countries, not to mention irresponsible, IMO.

Then there's those that lower their cars, messing-up the suspension geometry and travel, and often damaging the underside. I bought the car for its engineering, so making crass mods would be dumb.

Properly engineered engine mods and remaps (rolling road) have their place (but are illegal in California). However, for road use, they exacerbate traction issues.

·
Registered
722 Posts
im not whining
just happy being a grandpa with some fast cars that like to drive fast
i will yet the young and foolish mess up a perfectly great engineered car and spend their money doing so.

·
Registered
151 Posts

This video single handedly made me not want to tune my (keeper) cars. At 9:08, listen to Jeremy Clarkson's short conclusion about modified cars. The car he just reviewed is a TWR XJ220. Those who know TWR can attest to their engineering prowess.

You may expect better performance, but unlike an rb26 engine or 2jz, i dont feel like these high strung super high performance engines have any give without compromising reliability. The 765 with only 40 more horsepower requires new pistons, gaskets and fueling system (not to mention recalibration of suspension engineered by cambridge phd students etc etc etc). If you must, modifications should be more comprehensive than an exhaust and ecu as we see with 850hp modified 720s' for example. I am 23 and come from a country where car culture is either JDM or nothing so tuning and modifying evos and 350z's was all we did when we were teens. However, there are very smart people out there who can indeed find ways to introduce reasonable gains.

P.s i never put an exhaust on my 720 or m5 and my sls was always loud enough. My 599 has a fab speed exhaust. I do not feel like exhausts should be an issue, however i miss the times when exhausts made sense. When i see a turbo s or mclaren whsitling away, i question the exhaust. Back when there were lesser regulations and engines were sonorous and unmuffled, even the biggest grandpa ballers used to put tubi exhausts on their f40's and f50's. That was class, right now it's akin to dodge challenger/jdm culture

·
Registered
849 Posts
I would consider wider tires front and rear as well as suspension alignment but thats about it. Lots of data needed before you do anything, we have little to no info on how these cars are setup from the factory and reviews are inconsistent.

·
2012 MP4-12C
812 Posts
Believe it or not we already have a customer who put our high flow sport cats on his 765LT!!
So this customer spent extra money for a car that has an ultra-light titanium exhaust from engine ports to tips, including the downpipes, and then changed them out for a heavier aftermarket sport-cat system made from 304SS (I assume)? I understand some may want more sound (haven't heard the 765LT in person myself yet), but damn... even my mod-loving self could not justify that! Same deal for Novitec, suggesting that the car wasn't exciting enough and would only be better after their modifications (near the end of their video).
Risks warranty
Spending more money to make the car worth less
Illegal modifications can void insurance here. If someone is injured in an incident I was responsible for I would be on my own and would make an attractive target for law suits.
These are the big 3 for me. I used to be very active in the modding community (as many on this forum know from my previous VO 12C). However, after reviewing how much unrecouped money I have spent on mods over the past ~10 years, seeing @RonMathMD's warranty experience with the turbo inlet tubes, and realizing the insurance implications if your provider is unaware of the modifications post-accident, I have sworn off performance-enhancing mods. The risk-reward just cannot justify changing a brand new car for me.

As was stated above... IT IS A 765LT!

But I guess, for some, having a car limited to 1 per 10-million people worldwide just isn't enough in it of itself. :unsure:

·
2012 MP4-12C
812 Posts
The 765 with only 40 more horsepower requires new pistons, gaskets and fueling system (not to mention recalibration of suspension engineered by cambridge phd students etc etc etc).
True, but compared to 720S, the 765LT was required to be able to sit at redline for days on a track with that extra power. Even here, there are MASSIVE margins for the engine (at least up to Senna's engine output, though note the peak torque is identical suggesting Senna just holds onto a slightly higher boost near redline for the extra 34 HP), but as you point out, adding power just shortens the fuse on a ticking time bomb.

·
Registered
73 Posts

This video single handedly made me not want to tune my (keeper) cars. At 9:08, listen to Jeremy Clarkson's short conclusion about modified cars. The car he just reviewed is a TWR XJ220. Those who know TWR can attest to their engineering prowess.

You may expect better performance, but unlike an rb26 engine or 2jz, i dont feel like these high strung super high performance engines have any give without compromising reliability. The 765 with only 40 more horsepower requires new pistons, gaskets and fueling system (not to mention recalibration of suspension engineered by cambridge phd students etc etc etc). If you must, modifications should be more comprehensive than an exhaust and ecu as we see with 850hp modified 720s' for example. I am 23 and come from a country where car culture is either JDM or nothing so tuning and modifying evos and 350z's was all we did when we were teens. However, there are very smart people out there who can indeed find ways to introduce reasonable gains.

P.s i never put an exhaust on my 720 or m5 and my sls was always loud enough. My 599 has a fab speed exhaust. I do not feel like exhausts should be an issue, however i miss the times when exhausts made sense. When i see a turbo s or mclaren whsitling away, i question the exhaust. Back when there were lesser regulations and engines were sonorous and unmuffled, even the biggest grandpa ballers used to put tubi exhausts on their f40's and f50's. That was class, right now it's akin to dodge challenger/jdm culture

The limits of a platform are never discovered by the timid. Most* owners will never put more than 20k miles on their 720s/765LT and will never see how long the drivetrain will last in their ownership.

Leading shops like M Engineering will be the ones who can tell you how much power you can safely make on stock drivetrain before you end up needing to build

·
Registered
252 Posts
I understand you can get more power, probably reliably (depending on the skill of the tuner, some better than others and there's another uncertain risk) but when in standard form it can break traction in 3rd gear (?4th) what are the practical real life benefits outside a prepped drag strip? Pehaps bragging rights?

Also you can't compare most Porsches with a 765LT. They are generally NOWHERE near as powerful as the 765. I could even understand modifying a 992 Turbo S as the AWD allows the useful deployment of more power relatively safely but in a light RWD car with close to 800hp already, I'm not sure.

·
Registered
562 Posts
The limits of a platform are never discovered by the timid. Most* owners will never put more than 20k miles on their 720s/765LT and will never see how long the drivetrain will last in their ownership.

Leading shops like M Engineering will be the ones who can tell you how much power you can safely make on stock drivetrain before you end up needing to build
I actually hate the use of this word "platform" which is used by people who seem to think they know better than the experts who imagine, develop, test and produce their product, these arrogant people consider it a "platform" for their superior knowledge - what absolute bollocks, you think that when the engine is on one of the many Ricardo engine dynos that they haven't destroyed many engines whilst finding the limits ? Have any tuners done this ? thought not.....you don't think that they have already tried various different power and torque curves to find the optimum which matches all the rest of the components ?
Don't get me wrong, getting a Senna like map to unleash the extra inbuilt top end in conjunction with 315 tyres for grip may well be a tempting option at some point but I think most will wait until the dust settles a bit and we get to know our cars properly ;)

·
Registered
73 Posts
I understand you can get more power, probably reliably (depending on the skill of the tuner, some better than others and there's another uncertain risk) but when in standard form it can break traction in 3rd gear (?4th) what are the practical real life benefits outside a prepped drag strip? Pehaps bragging rights?

Also you can't compare most Porsches with a 765LT. They are generally NOWHERE near as powerful as the 765. I could even understand modifying a 992 Turbo S as the AWD allows the useful deployment of more power relatively safely but in a light RWD car with close to 800hp already, I'm not sure.

Your points are valid ones and honestly a few years ago I would have agreed that modding a RWD car for big power is useless when you consider the traction issues. Now the reason I changed my mind... Motec Systems have been a game changer for RWD cars hooking and from what I understand at least 1 shop is working with Motec to develope a unit for the 720s. These Motec systems are currently in 2000whp Dodge Vipers and are hooking on prepped and unprepped surfaces. So in a year or 2 I would expect to see 1500whp 720s on Motec hooking and absolutely smashing everything in that power range.

With that said I wouldnt mod a 765LT because I couldnt bring myself to change such a special car.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I actually hate the use of this word "platform" which is used by people who seem to think they know better than the experts who imagine, develop, test and produce their product, these arrogant people consider it a "platform" for their superior knowledge - what absolute bollocks, you think that when the engine is on one of the many Ricardo engine dynos that they haven't destroyed many engines whilst finding the limits ? Have any tuners done this ? thought not.....you don't think that they have already tried various different power and torque curves to find the optimum which matches all the rest of the components ?
Don't get me wrong, getting a Senna like map to unleash the extra inbuilt top end in conjunction with 315 tyres for grip may well be a tempting option at some point but I think most will wait until the dust settles a bit and we get to know our cars properly ;)

In the mod world in the U.S. a 'Platform' is which to build off of and the 720 is a platform just like the Huracan/R8 and the Viper is a platform. Some platforms are much better to start with as you can increase performance with minimal modifications (720+DP+Tune= Crazy Power) and some are worse (Ferrari F430 as an example). I think it may just be differences in use of the word from across the pond. No tuner or shop owner I know uses "Platform" in a manner to insinuate a specific car wasnt optimized from factory with the gear it comes with or that the maker didnt know how to take advantage of its stock potential.

I think the 720s is amazing from factory and its even more impressive they left so much on the table for greedy gear heads to extract (At the expense of no warranty) XD

·
Registered
562 Posts
In the mod world in the U.S. a 'Platform' is which to build off of and the 720 is a platform just like the Huracan/R8 and the Viper is a platform. Some platforms are much better to start with as you can increase performance with minimal modifications (720+DP+Tune= Crazy Power) and some are worse (Ferrari F430 as an example). I think it may just be differences in use of the word from across the pond. No tuner or shop owner I know uses "Platform" in a manner to insinuate a specific car wasnt optimized from factory with the gear it comes with or that the maker didnt know how to take advantage of its stock potential.

I think the 720s is amazing from factory and its even more impressive they left so much on the table for greedy gear heads to extract (At the expense of no warranty) XD
I know exactly how they are using the word "platform" and they are using that word to insinuate that they can do better when in many instances they ruin a great car, I'm not necessarily talking about Mclaren, just a pet issue of mine (y)

·
Registered
McLaren 720S spider, 2020. Spark.
476 Posts
I have a guideline that every dollar spent modding a car reduces the resale value by that amount. I’d think for higher value cars, a lot more than that.

I don’t care what vehicle I might buy used, an untouched (unmolested) one is worth more to me.

Reactions: ksp
21 - 37 of 37 Posts