McLaren Life banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone

I joined a few days ago and read through several pages on the 675LT forum to absorb some info. But this is my first port here.

A little bit about myself. I've never owned a McLaren or any other exotic. Currently, driving an Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio. My prior driver's cars include BMW M3, Porsche 991.1 4S, Mini Cooper JCW, Fiesta ST etc. I am passionate about cars and enjoy driving on the back roads and twisties. When I drive, I try to keep my car in a good rhythm. Herky jerky is not my style. I would rather go medium pace in rhythm than fast, abrupt and out of balance. I like cars that feel connected and provide feedback.

Here are some virtues/characteristics that come to mind when I ask myself what I value in a car:
  • driver engagement
  • satisfying to drive
  • feel like a Singer 911 (I can only imagine, I've never driven one)
  • super fun in the twisties, back roads, canyon roads
  • steering feel/feedback
  • fast/sharp steering
  • must be fun at low/moderate speeds i.e. should not be fun only when pushed hard
  • must also be fun when pushed hard
  • small/nimble
  • lightweight
  • stability at high speed
  • stability under duress and heavy breaking
  • well balanced
  • bonus points for manual transmission
  • a convertible
  • nice exhaust but not unnecessarily/obnoxiously loud
  • should look nice i.e. evoke emotion in you (not others) every time you look at it
  • NVH expectation: should be able to have a conversation at cruising speeds
  • should make you go for a drive for no reason
And a few things that are not important to me in a car:
  • does not need to be the fastest 0-60 or 0-120 etc.
  • does not need to be the most exclusive or limited production
  • don't care about horsepower (I think 350 - 400 is plenty)
  • don't care about drag racing
  • don't care about burn outs/donuts
I want to ask current or prior owners of 675LT, based on what I stated above, would a 675LT Spider be a good option for me?
Other cars I am considering are Porsche GT3 and the new Porsche Boxter Spyder.

Thanks very much for your time and opinions.
Cheers!

·
Registered
187 Posts
You just described a Boxster Spyder to a T in your post above. In fact, I hadn't even gotten to the last paragraph and I was thinking "this guy needs to buy a Boxster Spyder and save himself a bunch of money!"

And yes, I speak from experience. I, too, lust for a 675LT, and I constantly ask myself if it is worth upgrading to when I love my current slightly modified 650S spider. This is my 3rd McLaren and I have had 38 Porsches and I also find myself lusting for a Boxster Spyder. Great car!

GLWS!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for your message. Boxter Spyder is most definitely on the radar :)
I am intrigued by 675LT because I sense a definite passion that owners exude about it. How it makes them feel and how it feels so connected. And that has usually been a yardstick by which I gauge what people have to say about their vehicles. Its certainly a different price point compared to a Boxter Spyder.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also a couple of very intriguing advantages that 675LT spider has over Boxter Spyder :
1. The weight advantage of a few hundred pounds.
2. Stiffness because of the McLaren monocoque.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Maybe a new speedster as well? Although you could buy a fantastic 675 spyder for that money and have plenty left over for years of warranty and I know where my money would go between the two. Not that I'm against the Speedster but it's a GT3 convertible at the end of the day.

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
Yes, a 675LT(S) would be an option.

However, I believe a better option would be a used 570 Spider based on price, availability, options, colors, warranty, etc. When the dust settles on the Toilet paper pandemic, you should test drive a 570 Spider. I believe you will be very pleasantly surprised by the abilities of the 570 and if not, drive a 600LTS or a *675LTS (*if you can find a dealer that will allow a test drive, some do & some don't). Lastly, late model (2014) 12C's should be considered simply on it's value/price propostion.

Good luck, McLaren makes some incredible and wonderful cars.

·
Registered
69 Posts
In my opinion ,if budget allows, there is nothing that compares to a 675LT spider for the money. The proactive suspension(super series models) gives the car incredibly versatility on the street and the pureness and delicacy of the driving experience is unbelievable. The only way to relate to the car is to drive one and see. Only 500 spiders were made and only 12 for sale on Autotrader currently so choices are few. I had given up on modern sports cars until this car came along but this is now along with my 550 Maranello forever cars. Best of luck.

Stan

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you so much for the feedback and suggestions guys. I have considered a 570S too but I really feel 675LTS might be calling my name. I mean car enthusiasts don’t just declare any car to be a “forever car” like @Stan550 just did. That kind of passion and emotion is a measuring stick for me.

·
Registered
187 Posts
If money is truly not a consideration, buy a 675LTS and you'll never need to buy another toy. I think it is this decade's equivalent of the Carrera GT and it will only become more coveted over time. Conversely, as great as the Boxster Spyder is, it will simply be superseded by the next iteration of the model.

Enjoy your search - it is half the fun!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Sold my Boxster fun car no comparison to 675LT and they weigh cis very similar. Boxster has very tall gears low torque. GT3 sold and great track car and fun, and would say the same no comparison. 675 is just in a different league for what it does. Too much car for the street, but so what it’s fun. My two keeper cars I have now 2019 GT3RS that I love and my 675LT great pair and both are raw! Good luck.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I don’t track my 675LT, or haven’t had the opportunity. I’ve always had Porsche’s, and my RS is really the go to there and it’s more than my capability. The 675 with the added power over the RS I’d be pushing my skills, and that’s dangerous. The 675LT is my treat car for some spirited driving with the boys, and will more or less a street car for me vs the RS. I really enjoy the 675LT ....good luck

·
Registered
69 Posts
I participated in one of my Mclaren dealers track days with my 675 and it was amazing, I have Corsas on my car not the Trofeos(track oriented tire). The balance, feel and stability were outstanding but you could definitely get the car to move around, in a good way because you could feel exactly what was going on and it's so balanced. With that said, it is scary fast, I brought along my 550 and felt much more relaxed pushing the lower limits of that car. I remember the dealership owner was ahead of me on the track in his Senna and he wasn't able to pull away from me even on the long front straight.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Sold my Boxster fun car no comparison to 675LT and they weigh cis very similar. Boxster has very tall gears low torque. GT3 sold and great track car and fun, and would say the same no comparison. 675 is just in a different league for what it does. Too much car for the street, but so what it’s fun. My two keeper cars I have now 2019 GT3RS that I love and my 675LT great pair and both are raw! Good luck.
Was your GT3 a manual? I have been contemplating selling my Ferrari 430 spider for one. Also how firm is the 2019 RS I've heard its really choppy on the street? I'm not looking for a track car just another fun weekend street car. I have the 550 also so I have the manual covered but if I went GT3 I would get the manual.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Was your GT3 a manual? I have been contemplating selling my Ferrari 430 spider for one. Also how firm is the 2019 RS I've heard its really choppy on the street? I'm not looking for a track car just another fun weekend street car. I have the 550 also so I have the manual covered but if I went GT3 I would get the manual.
My GT3 was a 2015 manual wasn’t offered, and the RS is not bad I use the paddles which is great so no issues. The GT cars you just have to drive them in the high rev band, and that’s the not so fun part driving on the street with low torque numbers. Hot 9k rpm risk going to jail. By the way I sold my 458 for the 675 and regrets at first, and all good now.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I really enjoy the 430 spider, with almost 500 hp it's plenty fast for the street, and by today's standards it feels loud, analog and visceral. More than likely this will also be a long term keeper.

·
Registered
118 Posts
My view: drive the three cars you mentioned and you will know immediately which one you want. I personally don’t think there is a better driving experience then driving the 675LT spider properly on a nice day with the top down. One thing I can say—my whole life I always preferred manual transmission cars but now I never for an instant yearn for one in my 675 or gt3rs. To the contrary, the dual clutch transmissions are so integral to the experience and performance, I am GLAD they aren’t burdened with manuals.

In any event, the three cars you referenced are so different that you will easily be able to decide which is for you after driving them

1 - 19 of 19 Posts