McLaren Life banner

41 - 60 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
McLaren 720S spider, 2020. Spark.
427 Posts
There are sometimes things I’m not aware of but seems that McLaren on a national basis need to be simply responsible about this sort of mess. Like either sort the car in a timely fashion or take that one back, get you another with a least as acceptable spec to you, and sort it out on their time and dime.

Key word, responsible. These stories have real effects for us all.

·
Registered
2012 MP4-12C
633 Posts
What really sucks is that he doesn't even have the option to take his car to a more competent shop because McLaren doesn't make is easy for someone else to service/repair it.

Furthermore, McLaren has owners who don't have the time to deal with these types of issues by the balls with overpriced warranties that are constantly increasing in price while the number of covered items continue to decrease (like accumulators).

When McLaren owners say they've never had an issue, it's as if they won the lottery, rather than it being the norm. I, personally, have never had an issue, but I do breathe a sigh of relief every time I get back into my garage. Is it normal to feel this way? LOL
McLaren followed the Apple model. Charge for a warranty, blame the user for any issues, cover nothing. All McLaren owners I talk to often don't have issues, and all of them drive their cars more than 1,000 miles a year. Hell I'm putting 400 on mine this week, and I never question if I'll have a problem or not every time I get in it.

But you know driving an exotic car 20 miles a month is much more common than driving an Accord 20 miles a month, right?

Perhaps you have a different perspective because you have the time and desire to do some of the work on your car. Most people don't.
It's not even about having the time or desire to work on the car, it's the fact that I DON'T have to do more than maintenance, really. Driving an exotic 20 miles a month SHOULDN'T be common, is the point. If you aren't gonna drive it, why have it? You need a mode of transportation, that's it. I drive mine when I need to go somewhere, not for a specific event. I drive it to the track, I drive it to the grocery store, I drive it to just have a fun drive.

So by this logic an accord would not have problems being driven 1k a year but a 300k car does? I’m not sure why you are critical of how someone else decides to use their car. It’s his car and he can drive it however he wants. The OP apparently has an issue with his car and telling him to drive it more is not a solution. I’ve had over a dozen supercars and all of them have been driven 1-2k/year. Not driving them much does Not cause problems. There are some cars, regardless of mileage that just have problems. Just do a quick search on this forum and you will see plenty of Those. Arizona, I would try a different dealer and maybe they can get to the bottom of your problems.
If a $25k car does it, it gets written off as being a cheap car, if a $325k does it there is a complaint it shouldn't because it's expensive. As a mechanic, I'm telling you, cars sitting make them not work properly, no matter who makes it. My Astro for example didn't get driven for a while before I got it, then the transmission leaked, then I drove it a bunch, then the leak stopped. Catalytic converters MUST get hot to function properly, if they don't get they get clogged. Driving infrequently and short distances cause cats to get clogged, which cause other issues. There is a reason the "Italian tune up" is a thing, it works. Think that's only for old cars? My 2014 ML63 AMG in comfort mode starts in 2nd gear, if you never put it in Sport it never uses 1st gear. All gear changes were jerky but 1st to 2nd was really jerky. Then I did autocross with it, Italian tune up style, and now it shifts super smooth all the time in every gear. This is my daily driver. Periodically running cars really hard makes them function better if they've been babied or unused.

If you go on AutoTrader and look at any exotic in this price range, you'll quickly see on average most are driven 1-2k miles a year. Most people with an exotic car own several cars (I've got 18). Mine has 1100 miles, but if it wasn't always broken, it would probably have 3,000. I won't do long trips with this car I have no confidence. Lots of other problems I haven't mentioned, like I'll drive it somewhere, then when I get back in it in the parking lot it won't start. I have my foot on the brake, hit the start button, nothing happens. Sometimes it takes a minute to get it started. My heart sinks everytime thinking I'm stranded. Also the tilt wheel stopped working about 6 months ago.
Just because others don't drive theirs doesn't mean it's the best thing. I have 6 cars, even my 1990 CRX gets miles. It's circular logic, the car would work better if you drove it but you won't drive it because of the issues. I was planning on doing a video on why McLaren's won't start and how to resolve them sometime soon. I wouldn't be shocked if some if not all of your issues were resolved by disconnecting the battery overnight.

Why not a huracan evo? Or a 488 Spider.
Huracan Evo looks like a solid car, but it has new tech so something will go wrong just the same. 488 there will be complains about sticky buttons, those are already doing it, and they're a worse performer than a 720s, and they'll sent a cease and desist because you put the wrong brand of gasoline in it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
It's not even about having the time or desire to work on the car, it's the fact that I DON'T have to do more than maintenance, really. Driving an exotic 20 miles a month SHOULDN'T be common, is the point. If you aren't gonna drive it, why have it? You need a mode of transportation, that's it. I drive mine when I need to go somewhere, not for a specific event. I drive it to the track, I drive it to the grocery store, I drive it to just have a fun drive.

If a $25k car does it, it gets written off as being a cheap car, if a $325k does it there is a complaint it shouldn't because it's expensive. As a mechanic, I'm telling you, cars sitting make them not work properly, no matter who makes it. My Astro for example didn't get driven for a while before I got it, then the transmission leaked, then I drove it a bunch, then the leak stopped. Catalytic converters MUST get hot to function properly, if they don't get they get clogged. Driving infrequently and short distances cause cats to get clogged, which cause other issues. There is a reason the "Italian tune up" is a thing, it works. Think that's only for old cars? My 2014 ML63 AMG in comfort mode starts in 2nd gear, if you never put it in Sport it never uses 1st gear. All gear changes were jerky but 1st to 2nd was really jerky. Then I did autocross with it, Italian tune up style, and now it shifts super smooth all the time in every gear. This is my daily driver. Periodically running cars really hard makes them function better if they've been babied or unused.
It's not up to anyone, but the owner, to decide how they want to use their car. There's no point questioning it. If he wants to buy the car to hang up on his wall, it's his prerogative. There's also big difference between spending $300+ for a new or practically new car versus paying $100K for a used one. Some owners simply want to preserve the "newness" of their car, and they pay a premium for that.

People who spend $300K+ on cars don't necessarily expect to have zero issues, but it's not unreasonable for them to expect the manufacturer to treat them better than Honda would. And they SHOULD expect their $325K car to be overall better than a $25K car both from a quality and service standpoint. They pay a premium for the overall experience of owning the car and it's up to McLaren to back that up.

·
Registered
2012 MP4-12C
633 Posts
It's not up to anyone, but the owner, to decide how they want to use their car. There's no point questioning it. If he wants to buy the car to hang up on his wall, it's his prerogative. There's also big difference between spending $300+ for a new or practically new car versus paying $100K for a used one. Some owners simply want to preserve the "newness" of their car, and they pay a premium for that.

People who spend $300K+ on cars don't necessarily expect to have zero issues, but it's not unreasonable for them to expect the manufacturer to treat them better than Honda would. And they SHOULD expect their $325K car to be overall better than a $25K car both from a quality and service standpoint. They pay a premium for the overall experience of owning the car and it's up to McLaren to back that up.
Right, you can do whatever you want with your car after you buy it (unless it's a Ferrari), but don't complain about it if you neglect it. I've seen people complain about reliability of a car they didn't change the oil in for 3 years, you get no sympathy from me. People inherently expect a better product when it costs more. You pay $325k you get a better performer, it doesn't mean your expectation of quality will be the same as someone elses. There are people that expect ZERO issues from a brand new car with new technology, especially when they pay more. The thought is paying more for reliability not paying more for technology. Yes, McLaren should address some things differently than they do, but dealers are independently owned too so it's not just the manufacturer.

·
2012 12C Coupe - VR
1,657 Posts
I'd recommend politely discussing these issues with your local McLaren dealership. They should transport the car to and from the dealership for you given the numerous issues it has. That won't take much of your time. If the dealership cannot fix everything, you might have to take it up to McLaren North America (email: [email protected]). I can refer you to the VP of Aftersales as well if needed. If they can't fix your car in a reasonable time frame, you might be forced to negotiate a buyback with McLaren North America or contact a lemon law attorney. The 720 driving experience is SUBLIME when the car works... But when it breaks, it is EXTREMELY frustrating.

Another thought: Perhaps ask Mclaren North America to have your car transported to Newport Beach for repairs. Their service department seems to be very competent.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I recommend invoking the Lemon Law with your current 720S. This has nothing to do with you or your driving habits, or any self-diagnosed voodoo offered up here. Your specific model is not reliable.

If you really love the 720S, then I think you will have really good leverage with your local dealership if you pursue purchasing another (newer-- not launch edition) example.

I own #988 and just recently I received the "Suspension Failure" dash warning light which puts the car into limp mode. It tends to clear up when I drive the car more, but a problem never fixes itself. I have driven the car about 5k miles over the past 18 months including tracking it 4-5 days. Other problems I continue to deal with:

1. Overly sensitive front proximity sensors.
2. "Key not Found" warning light.
3. Rare window lowering after I raise the window,
4. A traction control amber light that flashes when I drive over 170 mph (difficult to read this light at speed!)

The Gorilla Glass issue has been resolved after replacing each side twice. My radio screen has not frozen up since the software was upgraded in 2019. In total that is seven items that have haunted my 720S ownership experience as the second owner. Who knows what the first owner experienced.

Nonetheless, nothing excites me more than the uniqueness of this car in the market place. Good luck with your automotive pursuits!

Reactions: TurboUp

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Why not a huracan evo? Or a 488 Spider. Lots of options. Or you can just have the dealer flat bed the car from your house and fix the issues. It’s been a few years since I went to the service side of the dealer. They always come and drop off the car.
I didn't know this, i will ask about that. This would be a great help.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
The actually doesn't sit, I drive it about twice a week to dinner. Same as all my other cars that have never had a problem.
Anyway, I emailed my service advisor at the Mclaren dealership elaborating everything, he already knows most of the issues from the previous visits. Hopefully they'll come get it and drive it after they "fix" it to confirm it's fixed. Hopefully no issues before my Nasa weekend Oct 10/11. If it continues to have problems obviously I'll have to get rid of it. :(
Thanks everyone for their input!

·
Registered
42 Posts
The actually doesn't sit, I drive it about twice a week to dinner. Same as all my other cars that have never had a problem.
Anyway, I emailed my service advisor at the Mclaren dealership elaborating everything, he already knows most of the issues from the previous visits. Hopefully they'll come get it and drive it after they "fix" it to confirm it's fixed. Hopefully no issues before my Nasa weekend Oct 10/11. If it continues to have problems obviously I'll have to get rid of it. :(
Good luck and please us posted. I really hope the dealership/McLaren get this resolved to your satisfaction.

·
Registered
2012 MP4-12C
633 Posts
If you aren't driving it hard in that time, my points still stand about the catalytic converters, which will show some crazy errors. Short light drives cause cat problems.

·
Owner
578 Posts
You have 18 cars. Drive this one twice/week, work 12 hrs/day from home..... as well as drive all the other ones. That's either a lot of driving, or I'm not sure what. If it is this bad, at this point, why on earth haven't you lemon lawed it? Maybe this one is just a 'problem child'. These laws are very consumer friendly. Let them get you one that works.

Is the NASA weekend at AMP? I love that track.

If you are in AZ, we get a few guys together on Sundays for a little 'jaw sessions' and some drives. You are welcome to join us. Mine gets driven and zero issues... for whatever that's worth.....

IMG_3486.jpeg

·
Registered
788 Posts
Yeah I've done that twice. They did tons of updates/recalls, all software. Both times the same codes reappeared on the way home. LOL. Then every time I drive it, it's a crap shoot if the same codes show up, or new ones do.
Try and lemon it

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
this is why i dont buy used... even though it had 400
miles on it, its 2018... mine at the time new 2018 now has 9k miles so about 3k per year. this car may have sat, unserviced for a long time... stuff got neglected and fixes are now more complex. anyway, everything OP is saying is fixable with a software upgrade and with the error messages on the power steering and suspension, that may need new actuators...

So two conclusions: 1) your dealer is a bunch of idiots and are not correctly pinpointing the issues ... which have all been rectified in other cars or 2) you have a lemon.

Everything you mention is software related and potentially hardware with actuators needing replacement but easy fixes nonetheless....

My 2020 G63amg has had electrical/software issues, my RR did and my Porsche did... my Ferraris did. goes with the territory.

My 2018 has been close to bulletproof outside of electronics and broken glass and actuators... it hasnt been perfect but i have 9k miles on her... and my dealer is top notch and fixes everything the first time... with pick up and drop off service. white glove

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
You have 18 cars. Drive this one twice/week, work 12 hrs/day from home..... as well as drive all the other ones. That's either a lot of driving, or I'm not sure what. If it is this bad, at this point, why on earth haven't you lemon lawed it? Maybe this one is just a 'problem child'. These laws are very consumer friendly. Let them get you one that works.

Is the NASA weekend at AMP? I love that track.

If you are in AZ, we get a few guys together on Sundays for a little 'jaw sessions' and some drives. You are welcome to join us. Mine gets driven and zero issues... for whatever that's worth.....
Yeah, AMP! come on out if you want to see me run. (If I still have it LOL) Are you a nasa member? It would be a good time to start if you aren't! I'll be going for the all time track record there, CW and CCW ( I already have the CCW record in my Mercedes GTR)

·
Registered
326 Posts
First of all sorry to hear about all these issues. Second of all in the time it took you to write all these posts I would be complaining to the dealer or asking them to rectify the situation. If you bought it from them in the car still under warranty just leave it there until it’s fixed. If it’s not fixed have them buy it back. I agree with you that life is too short to deal with these issues. I’m in Scottsdale with a 720 no issues. Is Scottsdale dealership can’t get things right, try going elsewhere but they should absolutely take care of the problem and you shouldn’t have to deal with

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
First of all sorry to hear about all these issues. Second of all in the time it took you to write all these posts I would be complaining to the dealer or asking them to rectify the situation. If you bought it from them in the car still under warranty just leave it there until it’s fixed. If it’s not fixed have them buy it back. I agree with you that life is too short to deal with these issues. I’m in Scottsdale with a 720 no issues. Is Scottsdale dealership can’t get things right, try going elsewhere but they should absolutely take care of the problem and you shouldn’t have to deal with
Yep obviously I'm also in contact with the dealer. Making a post here in this community doesn't mean the poster is doing nothing else. The problem is they do the recalls/fixes, then on the way home or the next day the same codes or new ones pop up. The dealer is not at blame here IMO. They get the car, they do what they are supposed to do.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Yep obviously I'm also in contact with the dealer. Making a post here in this community doesn't mean the poster is doing nothing else. The problem is they do the recalls/fixes, then on the way home or the next day the same codes or new ones pop up. The dealer is not at blame here IMO. They get the car, they do what they are supposed to do.
There are laws to deal with this. If the car can’t be fixed and continues to give problems, dealer will buy it back. If you have 18 cars, just give the 720
Back to the dealer with strict instructions not to give it to you till all issues are addressed. In the meanwhile, drive one of them other 17
Cars.

oh and btw- F8 iis An amazing car. Sell 5 of your other ones to get an f8. Well worth it.

·
Registered
760 Posts
lemon is not that simple and varies state to state. dealer needs to step up his efforts and deliver you a product that will not light like a Christmas tree.
your 720 is no more of a lemon or special that it should have issues that either can't be corrected or specific to this one chassis! in most cases, the car is not the lemon,the dealer techs are!

·
Registered
MY2019 720s
12 Posts
....... The dealer is not at blame here IMO. They get the car, they do what they are supposed to do.
It is the dealers responsibility to have skilled service engineers who can diagnose and repair cars. These are hand-built supercars, they won't all leave England perfect. For whatever reason that dealership cannot diagnose this issue. Are they having trained engineers work on it, or just regular mechanics / school leavers?

41 - 60 of 79 Posts