McLaren Life banner

21 - 40 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Yeah that's what everyone says and why I still drive it with the codes, because they usually just keep disappearing and reappearing. Just to dinner and back at 45mph. But the car has me scared now to track it. Would you drive a car at 160mph on track next to a wall while thinking "Man I hope the dash doesn't pop up with another "suspension failure" heh.
I'm on my 8th mclaren with another one incoming. I track a lot, with a lot of other mclarens and other cars. Mechanical issues happen with all marques (since you mentioned viper acr (I have a friend who lemoned it), one of his issues was his rear window shattering ON THE WAY TO THE TRACK.

I have had a suspension error but it is usually on start up and not when the car is moving. It is an error that goes away and usually has to do with how the car was started up (assuming your car has had the software updates). Car could have lifter on, you start up the car with the door open, etc., or it could just detect a certain situation and it creates the error to protect itself. That situation usually goes away upon re-start (some times it takes several minutes). It has happened to me in the paddock - I called mac service advisor from the track and he told me that another 720s at the same track day called him about two minutes earlier with the same issue. Both issues went away (was it a coincidence or something happened to both of us at the same track and at the same time and the same session?). Possible scenario is that I have aftermarket steel brakes which are heavier and this could sometimes cause the issue, non oem wheels/non oem tires, etc., can contribute to these temporary type issues.

720s is designed to protect itself and you and always errs on the side of caution with its errors. The only serious errors is when it goes limp and this is extremely, extremely rare.

My confidence level is extremely high with 720s - it is the most tracked exotic car that one will see. More and more of them are showing up at track days (8 of them at the last track day and this wasn't a dealer day or a coordinated effort by owners to show up).

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
It's pretty sad that buying an exotic car with extremely low miles can be considered a con. It's such a common practice in the exotic car community.

There are way too many posts from owners with low mileage cars that have a plethora of problems, only to be told, "the car needs to be driven more" or "you should have bought a car with more mileage that was more sorted out."

It's not a solution. Ferrari and Lamborghini aren't plagued with issues like this. I don't recall ever seeing a post that said, "I started up my F40 with 100 miles after 3 years and it's just throwing codes. It's the worst car ever."

Yes, these cars are newer and have much more technology, but that's not an excuse to have a bad product. Leave it to Tesla to make that excuse.
What's sad is that people take their news from car forums. They are a bastian of fake news, distorted postings and are becoming fan pages of marques or rants from people who have very little credibility outside of forums.

Ferrari/Porsche - have many people involved on the business side of things that keep people on point and the owners know that they have to keep up narratives to you know; keep values of their cars up.

Mclaren - almost all the frequent posters are DIY, and involved in the auto industry directly or indirectly. it has the least amount of owners posting on forums. There isn't anything that can be solved or asked about on these forums that a persons sales or service advisor can't tell them.

·
Registered
2012 MP4-12C
633 Posts
What's sad is that people take their news from car forums. They are a bastian of fake news, distorted postings and are becoming fan pages of marques or rants from people who have very little credibility outside of forums.

Ferrari/Porsche - have many people involved on the business side of things that keep people on point and the owners know that they have to keep up narratives to you know; keep values of their cars up.
Are you trying to tell me the brand that sends cease and desists for wrapping your car a color they don't like, makes more cars than they say they will on limited production cars, takes bribes to get on limited lists, and most owners shun other owners for having miles on their car would go out of their way to maintain a perceived brand image? /sarcasm It's almost like they'd offer a 7 year warranty with service included so nobody else would touch the cars to know what's really going on or something.

·
Registered
42 Posts

Mclaren - almost all the frequent posters are DIY, and involved in the auto industry directly or indirectly. it has the least amount of owners posting on forums. There isn't anything that can be solved or asked about on these forums that a persons sales or service advisor can't tell them.
That's the internet for you. Unfortunately, when people have a hard time finding the information they need, that's where they go. That's why testimonials are so important.

Perhaps McLaren corporate should step up and help direct the narrative a bit so that the brand doesn't get constantly bashed for making unreliable cars that are known for breaking down. Is it a misconception, perhaps, but the resale values and insane depreciation should tell you how the general market perceives the brand.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a proud owner, but that doesn't stop me from being honest about the shortcomings of the brand. It's lacking in so many ways and there is so much corporate can be doing to maintain a loyal customer base.

·
Registered
McLaren 720S spider, 2020. Spark.
427 Posts
Not seeing anyone jumping in to argue that your car is not the very worst.

So maybe McLaren are not that totally awful, and you can maintain the dubious bragging right of McWorst.

·
Registered
2012 MP4-12C
633 Posts
That's the internet for you. Unfortunately, when people have a hard time finding the information they need, that's where they go. That's why testimonials are so important.

Perhaps McLaren corporate should step up and help direct the narrative a bit so that the brand doesn't get constantly bashed for making unreliable cars that are known for breaking down. Is it a misconception, perhaps, but the resale values and insane depreciation should tell you how the general market perceives the brand.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a proud owner, but that doesn't stop me from being honest about the shortcomings of the brand. It's lacking in so many ways and there is so much corporate can be doing to maintain a loyal customer base.
I can't tell you how many people think every 12C engine and transmission made fails and costs $150,000 to repair. What isn't helping is the corporate response to many things, particularly influencers who publicly share their experiences.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I'd have less troubles obviously with a new Turbo S and they are fast as hell, but I don't really like their looks. I like the new Bentley GT too, but I sense those might have problems too. I shoulda kept my Mercedes GTR, it had zero issues in the year or so I had it, and I even had Renntech turbo's etc on it. Can't afford a Tributo, what else is out there? lol.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
When I bought this car I was aware that I'd probably have an issue or to over a year or so, I accepted that going into it with such a low production and extremely fast and badass car. I just didn't expect (and can't deal with) a problem every single time I drive it. I didn't even mention the build quality problems because I can live with those (extreme rattles everywhere).

·
Registered
2012 MP4-12C
633 Posts
I'd have less troubles obviously with a new Turbo S and they are fast as hell, but I don't really like their looks. I like the new Bentley GT too, but I sense those might have problems too. I shoulda kept my Mercedes GTR, it had zero issues in the year or so I had it, and I even had Renntech turbo's etc on it. Can't afford a Tributo, what else is out there? lol.
If you're gonna drive it to dinner, 20 miles a month, may as well just get an Accord.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I can't tell you how many people think every 12C engine and transmission made fails and costs $150,000 to repair. What isn't helping is the corporate response to many things, particularly influencers who publicly share their experiences.
Exactly why 12C's are so cheap and the best supercar for the money. Great for those in the market for one. Horrible for those that took a huge depreciation bath and decided to leave the brand altogether.

From what I've seen, this forum hasn't grown much over the years. Departing owners are being replaced by new ones, but overall, the stickiness isn't there.

I just feel so bad for @Arizona and it really sucks to see this kind of stuff going on. The dealership should have fixed the issue the first time around.

What really sucks is that he doesn't even have the option to take his car to a more competent shop because McLaren doesn't make is easy for someone else to service/repair it.

Furthermore, McLaren has owners who don't have the time to deal with these types of issues by the balls with overpriced warranties that are constantly increasing in price while the number of covered items continue to decrease (like accumulators).

When McLaren owners say they've never had an issue, it's as if they won the lottery, rather than it being the norm. I, personally, have never had an issue, but I do breathe a sigh of relief every time I get back into my garage. Is it normal to feel this way? LOL

·
Registered
42 Posts
If you're gonna drive it to dinner, 20 miles a month, may as well just get an Accord.
But you know driving an exotic car 20 miles a month is much more common than driving an Accord 20 miles a month, right?

Perhaps you have a different perspective because you have the time and desire to do some of the work on your car. Most people don't.

·
Registered
261 Posts
So by this logic an accord would not have problems being driven 1k a year but a 300k car does? I’m not sure why you are critical of how someone else decides to use their car. It’s his car and he can drive it however he wants. The OP apparently has an issue with his car and telling him to drive it more is not a solution. I’ve had over a dozen supercars and all of them have been driven 1-2k/year. Not driving them much does Not cause problems. There are some cars, regardless of mileage that just have problems. Just do a quick search on this forum and you will see plenty of Those. Arizona, I would try a different dealer and maybe they can get to the bottom of your problems.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Why would I do that? I don't like Accord's. I work my ass off in this house 12 hours a day 7 days a week, when I leave the house I like to drive something I like.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
If you go on AutoTrader and look at any exotic in this price range, you'll quickly see on average most are driven 1-2k miles a year. Most people with an exotic car own several cars (I've got 18). Mine has 1100 miles, but if it wasn't always broken, it would probably have 3,000. I won't do long trips with this car I have no confidence. Lots of other problems I haven't mentioned, like I'll drive it somewhere, then when I get back in it in the parking lot it won't start. I have my foot on the brake, hit the start button, nothing happens. Sometimes it takes a minute to get it started. My heart sinks everytime thinking I'm stranded. Also the tilt wheel stopped working about 6 months ago.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Exactly why 12C's are so cheap and the best supercar for the money. Great for those in the market for one. Horrible for those that took a huge depreciation bath and decided to leave the brand altogether.

From what I've seen, this forum hasn't grown much over the years. Departing owners are being replaced by new ones, but overall, the stickiness isn't there.

I just feel so bad for @Arizona and it really sucks to see this kind of stuff going on. The dealership should have fixed the issue the first time around.

What really sucks is that he doesn't even have the option to take his car to a more competent shop because McLaren doesn't make is easy for someone else to service/repair it.

Furthermore, McLaren has owners who don't have the time to deal with these types of issues by the balls with overpriced warranties that are constantly increasing in price while the number of covered items continue to decrease (like accumulators).

When McLaren owners say they've never had an issue, it's as if they won the lottery, rather than it being the norm. I, personally, have never had an issue, but I do breathe a sigh of relief every time I get back into my garage. Is it normal to feel this way? LOL
Great post brother!

·
Registered
74 Posts
McLaren: Let's just pump out cars with subpar quality control and let the warranty sort out any issues. Once the warranty expires, we're in the clear!

Dealer: Let's tell our customers these cars need to be driven and that letting them sit in the garage leads to too many issues.

Owners: I need to drive it 10k-15k miles a year to make sure my car is OK!

Well, naturally, the more you drive it, the more likely you can find whatever issues lie underneath. Unfortunately, not everyone can drive their supercar 10k miles a year. McLaren needs to do better.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
When I bought this car I was aware that I'd probably have an issue or to over a year or so, I accepted that going into it with such a low production and extremely fast and badass car. I just didn't expect (and can't deal with) a problem every single time I drive it. I didn't even mention the build quality problems because I can live with those (extreme rattles everywhere).
Why not a huracan evo? Or a 488 Spider. Lots of options. Or you can just have the dealer flat bed the car from your house and fix the issues. It’s been a few years since I went to the service side of the dealer. They always come and drop off the car.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I appreciate owners posting their issues and experience with their McLarens. It is always good to hear every issue that current and future owners may run into. It always sucks when issues compound and hopefully the OP is able to get this car sorted for the better his next trip to Mclaren.

21 - 40 of 79 Posts