McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
UPDATE
I got the car back from Scottsdale McLaren. They were wonderful to deal with. Even picked the car up. They went above and beyond. They fixed everything, worked with McLaren, kept the car for several days to drive and test. I got the car back today, I'm still definitely in love with this car! Hopefully no more issues, I will keep it on the battery charger at all times. Can't wait to get it to the track in a few weeks, I'll do a post after that. Thanks for everybody's help!!!

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
AZ - sorry to hear you are having all these problems. You probably don't want to hear this but you do need to take it to the dealer and have them go through it. They will make sure all the necessary service is up to date which may include a software update. Nonetheless they should be able to diagnose all the failure codes.

Reactions: TAILWAG

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
AZ - sorry to hear you are having all these problems. You probably don't want to hear this but you do need to take it to the dealer and have them go through it. They will make sure all the necessary service is up to date which may include a software update. Nonetheless they should be able to diagnose all the failure codes.
Yeah I've done that twice. They did tons of updates/recalls, all software. Both times the same codes reappeared on the way home. LOL. Then every time I drive it, it's a crap shoot if the same codes show up, or new ones do.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Do you keep the car on a tender when not using and is your battery reading 100% when you start the car?

also, let the car achieve base idle before putting it in gear and driving it. (This usually takes about a minute or so of engine running). (Also, If you already have codes it can take a couple driving cycles to clear them So don’t expect the code to disappear automatically)

if you are doing these two things and still having issues then unfortunately you will need to bring it back in

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
3 year old car with only 1,100 miles isn't a whole lot. These cars need to be driven.

Roadside assistance to the dealer and them returning it back it to you shouldn't be much effort.

This looks like it is on the dealer. They should be doing a 20 to 25 mile road test after updates/warranty work to make sure the bugs have been cleared.

Continue to drive the car for one month with a continuing error doesn't seem to be a smart way of doing things.

Did you buy the car from the servicing dealer? How quickly things get done (appointments, logistic support to get the car to them and back to you, how much care they take in doing things does matter where you purchased the car from).

Reactions: Spr

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If I didn't drive it with the codes I wouldn't be able to have driven it at all. Not one time in the past year. The car not having many miles is no excuse for a modern car to have these kinds of problems. Most of my cars barely have any miles on them, but I can jump in them and drive them without code after code after code. And yes sir I bought it from the local Mclaren dealership. It was a late 2018 car so 2 years old now with lots of warranty left. Where I am at now in life and how busy I am I just can't own a car like this. Who could? Everytime I get in the car I KNOW 100% that there will be codes thrown. How can a car like that even exist? LOL

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you keep the car on a tender when not using and is your battery reading 100% when you start the car?

also, let the car achieve base idle before putting it in gear and driving it. (This usually takes about a minute or so of engine running). (Also, If you already have codes it can take a couple driving cycles to clear them So don’t expect the code to disappear automatically)

if you are doing these two things and still having issues then unfortunately you will need to bring it back in
Yes always on the factory tender, and I always let oil get to 150 before I even put it in gear.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Unfortunately then it sounds like you have a real issue. Demand the dealer take significant action to get it resolved.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
If I didn't drive it with the codes I wouldn't be able to have driven it at all. Not one time in the past year. The car not having many miles is no excuse for a modern car to have these kinds of problems. Most of my cars barely have any miles on them, but I can jump in them and drive them without code after code after code. And yes sir I bought it from the local Mclaren dealership. It was a late 2018 car so 2 years old now with lots of warranty left. Where I am at now in life and how busy I am I just can't own a car like this. Who could? Everytime I get in the car I KNOW 100% that there will be codes thrown. How can a car like that even exist? LOL
Ok. Thanks for the info. I hope it gets resolved for you. As you are probably aware; the cars are finicky with errors and disappear quickly. The limp mode errors are the serious ones and need immediate attention. That has only happened to me once and it was on track (spark plug). I have a launch edition car 3+ years now and 7,000 miles with 35+ track days on it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok. Thanks for the info. I hope it gets resolved for you. As you are probably aware; the cars are finicky with errors and disappear quickly. The limp mode errors are the serious ones and need immediate attention. That has only happened to me once and it was on track (spark plug). I have a launch edition car 3+ years now and 7,000 miles with 35+ track days on it.
Yeah that's what everyone says and why I still drive it with the codes, because they usually just keep disappearing and reappearing. Just to dinner and back at 45mph. But the car has me scared now to track it. Would you drive a car at 160mph on track next to a wall while thinking "Man I hope the dash doesn't pop up with another "suspension failure" heh.

·
Registered
898 Posts
drop it off at dealer and ask them to do a thorough inspection and when you get it back,drive the thing . sitting around doesn't do it any good.
not exactly sure how long you've owned it but going from 400 to 1100 mi is not exactly "usage" and this car unlike most of your other ones,need to be driven.just the nature of the beast!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
drop it off at dealer and ask them to do a thorough inspection and when you get it back,drive the thing . sitting around doesn't do it any good.
not exactly sure how long you've owned it but going from 400 to 1100 mi is not exactly "usage" and this car unlike most of your other ones,need to be driven.just the nature of the beast!
How many miles a year do you need to drive a Mclaren for it to not throw codes everytime you use it? 5,000? 30,000? lol. I work from home, I only use the car to go to dinner a few nights a week, that's it, that's all I want it for. And two track weekends a year at a track my Viper doesn't pass sound at. So you are saying if I want to use my car only to go to dinner, I need to find another brand? I had a Gallardo I drove 1,000 miles in three years, it never went to the dealer except scheduled maintenance. I've got a 2016 ACR, 4,000 miles, 100% hard, brutal track miles on slicks. It's never been to the dealer.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
How many miles a year do you need to drive a Mclaren for it to not throw codes everytime you use it? 5,000? 30,000? lol. I work from home, I only use the car to go to dinner a few nights a week, that's it, that's all I want it for. And two track weekends a year at a track my Viper doesn't pass sound at. So you are saying if I want to use my car only to go to dinner, I need to find another brand? I had a Gallardo I drove 1,000 miles in three years, it never went to the dealer except scheduled maintenance. I've got a 2016 ACR, 4,000 miles, 100% hard, brutal track miles on slicks. It's never been to the dealer.
Get rid of the car. Some cars are just bad. Toys are not worth the headache. I think I would leave the brand with your experience but mine has been okay. On my 2nd 720 and both were fine.

·
Registered
2012 MP4-12C
754 Posts
I tell people to not even consider buying a car with less than 1,000 miles a year on it, preferably 2,000 a year or more on it, ANY make or model. My buddy at a Lambo dealer had a Gallardo come in, an 04 with 2,400 miles on it and it needed $24k of work to get it to START, not even drive properly, just start. It was another $18k to make it right.

There might be some genuine gremlins, but I bet if you shipped me your car for 30 days you'd get it back with no errors. Full disclosure, it would have 2-3k more miles on it.

·
Registered
873 Posts
its probably software
car is probably andy for just being taken out for dinner
ypuncan always pick a restaurant farther away.
Phoenix to Sedona is always a noce drive. Make an afternoon of it.
Driving five to ten miles just to eat just ain’t worth it

·
Registered
394 Posts
I agree with you. Miles should have nothing to do with throwing codes and a car shouldn’t do that if it’s driven 1k a year or 10k a year. I’ve had 3 Mclarens and for each one I only put 1-2 k miles a year. On my 12c it would throw codes all the time and I eventually bought a code scanner so I could reset the codes each time as I got tired of taking it to the dealer. My 650s and 720s were mostly trouble free. I’d leave it at the dealer until they could figure it out and maybe involve Mclaren NA. Good Luck and hope you can get it sorted out.

·
Registered
51 Posts
It's pretty sad that buying an exotic car with extremely low miles can be considered a con. It's such a common practice in the exotic car community.

There are way too many posts from owners with low mileage cars that have a plethora of problems, only to be told, "the car needs to be driven more" or "you should have bought a car with more mileage that was more sorted out."

It's not a solution. Ferrari and Lamborghini aren't plagued with issues like this. I don't recall ever seeing a post that said, "I started up my F40 with 100 miles after 3 years and it's just throwing codes. It's the worst car ever."

Yes, these cars are newer and have much more technology, but that's not an excuse to have a bad product. Leave it to Tesla to make that excuse.

·
Registered
873 Posts
It's not a solution. Ferrari and Lamborghini aren't plagued with issues like this. I don't recall ever seeing a post that said, "I started up my F40 with 100 miles after 3 years and it's just throwing codes. It's the worst car ever."
Ask a Ferrari owner in the 60s and 70s how many times in a month it was in shop and the answer should not surprise you.

·
Registered
2012 MP4-12C
754 Posts
I agree with you. Miles should have nothing to do with throwing codes and a car shouldn’t do that if it’s driven 1k a year or 10k a year. I’ve had 3 Mclarens and for each one I only put 1-2 k miles a year. On my 12c it would throw codes all the time and I eventually bought a code scanner so I could reset the codes each time as I got tired of taking it to the dealer. My 650s and 720s were mostly trouble free. I’d leave it at the dealer until they could figure it out and maybe involve Mclaren NA. Good Luck and hope you can get it sorted out.
It's a known fact McLaren's are very sensitive to readings from sensors being out of tolerance, and it's a known fact that not circulating fluids regularly causes seals to dry out. Now combine the two and there's an answer. Additionally, catalytic converters get clogged when they aren't heated up, so short drives don't clean them out, especially if they aren't spirited. This will in turn cause various errors, even some you may not expect. Tyler Hoover's MP4-12C had a rough idle, Tavarish drove it a few times and the idle problems and errors stopped. The issues aren't exclusive to McLaren, McLaren are just more sensitive to it.

It's pretty sad that buying an exotic car with extremely low miles can be considered a con. It's such a common practice in the exotic car community.

There are way too many posts from owners with low mileage cars that have a plethora of problems, only to be told, "the car needs to be driven more" or "you should have bought a car with more mileage that was more sorted out."

Yes, these cars are newer and have much more technology, but that's not an excuse to have a bad product. Leave it to Tesla to make that excuse.
Perhaps there are so many posts about it because that's the fix. It IS a solution. Ferrari and Lamborghini are both plagued with those issues. You won't see a post about an F40 with 100 miles throwing codes because it's an OBD0 car. You're sounding like the people that won't buy a car made in the last 40 years because "power windows are just another thing to break" and fuel injection "is just asking for trouble". With new technology comes finding the shortcomings of that technology over time. Know why you don't see 04-05 RR Phantom's with stock wheels that often? They found out the tire technology was a bad idea. How about those Lamborghini E-Gear transmissions? Buy a $400k Mercielago and the clutch is supposed to last 4,000 miles? GM has a practice of putting new technology in Cadillacs where the problems are found before putting that technology in the lower level brands.

·
Registered
2012 MP4-12C
754 Posts
Ask a Ferrari owner in the 60s and 70s how many times in a month it was in shop and the answer should not surprise you.
I think you worded that incorrectly. What I believe you meant to say was how many months it was in the shop, not how many times in a month.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts