McLaren Life banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, wondering if anyone can help me out here before I just get it trailered into my local dealership…

I was driving home, luckily not too far away. Heard a quiet “ping” noise from the rear passenger side, followed by the car being quite difficult to drive in a straight line.

Parked up and found the rear passenger wheel sat with a lot of camber (negative? Not sure of terminology but bottom of the wheel was further out from the car than the top)

As the car rolls that wheel tends to oscillate in and out from neutral back to a lot of camber.

Any idea which bit I’ve snapped and how much they are to replace?

Thanks!
Tom

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Lower control arm ball joint? Whatever failed, it's probably caused damage to other parts too. Hopefully not too many! I was looking at used control arms a few weeks ago for my 570, they were cheaper than I expected.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
You'll probably also require an alignment once it's fixed, which is a non-trivial cost. I've just been quoted $880 for it because they're replacing the control arms under warranty, but the claim doesn't cover the alignment.....

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
they're replacing the control arms under warranty, but the claim doesn't cover the alignment.....
Replacing a control arm must include alignment, at least of that wheel.

I'd be tempted to say that you don't want the alignment done, and wait for them to tell you that it has to be done when the control arm is replaced ..

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Replacing a control arm must include alignment, at least of that wheel.

I'd be tempted to say that you don't want the alignment done, and wait for them to tell you that it has to be done when the control arm is replaced ..
LOL. Right? I understand alignment not being covered, but the only reason it needs one is because of the bushing failure!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts