McLaren Life banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all!

For some of us, it's time to store the sports cars until spring time.
Besides for a good wash and service, what do you guys as far as storing the car?

Mine will be in my garage on a trickle charger. I will let it run for 20 minutes every 10 days or so and i was told to put a little extra air in the tires to avoid flat spots for not driving for so long.

This also goes for the rest of my toys. (Most of them)

Cheers and happy holidays to everyone!

-Andy

·
Registered
376 Posts
Don't forget the Gas Stabilizer.

Joe

·
Registered
715 Posts
What's everyone's thought on the starting up for 20 minutes?

A couple of years ago I asked about the extra air trick. I was told by several people in the tire business that a) it doesn't work and b) it's tough on the bead. Not sure what to think. I have the tire cozies and they've always worked fine.

·
Registered
27 Posts
A few opinions:
1. Gas Stabilizer can be controversial. I have been told it can swell rubber seals and cause issues. Use it in my lawn equipment and snowmobiles. Have never put it in my cars for winter storage- old Corvettes, Porsche and Ferrari.
2. Don't think it is a good idea to start every 10 days. The cars really need to get hot to burn off all the moisture accumulated in the fluids and exhaust system. I have let my cars sit all winter on trickle chargers, no start problems in April. The other alternative is to start once during the winter and let the car run for 20-30 minutes. I have done that too. Another fun plan is one winter ride, roads and weather permitting, addresses the tires too. But you will need to rewash the car before it gets put back to sleep.
3. Tires I agree. Pump them up. They will get flat spotted, but after a 30-45 minute ride and getting some heat in them, you will be all set.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Is the trickle charging necessary if leaving for say a month in the cold without any use or even touching the car?

Not sure what temps you are talking about but I have -25c ( not sure of that in F ) from around now until march. My storage facility stays around 0c let's say. Each year I leave a lamborghini, jaguar and lotus in storage - for rouhgly 3 months - and have never done anything with any of them however the lotuses always have issue stating but I just use a mobile jumper ..... I say this as the mclaren is new for this year and so far it does make far more 'cold' noises than the others ... Creaking and groaning wise .... So I wonder if they have (may have) more issue? I doubt it but if you guys have had maccas for a year and in cold climates I'd be interested to hear

This year as I am sticking around I intend to use them every so often when weather permits - ie - blue sky and clear roads from midday for a short spin

I have not had the macca out as yet but where I am the snow has fallen and my Porsche has already struggled as the ploughs are leaving way to bigger 'trough'

So a drive per month in short should keep tires and power ok?

* salt use in certain road areas is my biggest concern ....

·
Registered
312 Posts
Didn't you get the standard trickle charger with your car? I would just hook it up and be done with it - the lithium ion battery might not take kindly to neglect.......

Is the trickle charging necessary if leaving for say a month in the cold without any use or even touching the car?

Not sure what temps you are talking about but I have -25c ( not sure of that in F ) from around now until march. My storage facility stays around 0c let's say. Each year I leave a lamborghini, jaguar and lotus in storage - for rouhgly 3 months - and have never done anything with any of them however the lotuses always have issue stating but I just use a mobile jumper ..... I say this as the mclaren is new for this year and so far it does make far more 'cold' noises than the others ... Creaking and groaning wise .... So I wonder if they have (may have) more issue? I doubt it but if you guys have had maccas for a year and in cold climates I'd be interested to hear

This year as I am sticking around I intend to use them every so often when weather permits - ie - blue sky and clear roads from midday for a short spin

I have not had the macca out as yet but where I am the snow has fallen and my Porsche has already struggled as the ploughs are leaving way to bigger 'trough'

·
Registered
1,523 Posts

Ferrari's have the same starting issue after sitting for a few months. Easy fix, quick start, shut off, then retstart, works every time for me.

·
Registered
122 Posts
yeah = the trickle charger is in car, in front hood somewhere as dealer showed it on delivery. have never touched it since being shown it. As you say may stick it on incase and be done with it

Ferrari trick - yeah that works for some .... i am always surprised with the Lambo's

What i have found this week is the Lambo AWD on the gallardo does have advantages at times getting across the snow

Fun begins in full next week as Thursday forecast for the heavy snows.

Thanks. Happy winter driving !

·
Registered
27 Posts
Do not let the McLaren battery go flat. It is a pain to jump. 20 minutes plus to remove the front tub, need a philips screw driver (supplied), 4mm allen wrench(not supplied)- go figure. That assumes your car is unlocked and you can open the front hood easily. Some engineer should be shot for this design, inexcusable that there is not an accessible jumper block in the front trunk that can be accessed in 30 seconds. I do not know how long a McLaren battery will last un tended. My Ferrari 458 would go 3 weeks and quit but it took 3 minutes to jump it- passenger footwell access. Battery maintainer always, just too easy.

·
Registered
122 Posts
:D Happy new year to those in Pacific, Asia and Europe - those in USA your up next !

@ Mike : good advice and especially the comments on the battery placement - thats a key thing to know

Supercar new year event on Friday here so after that will be ( hopefully washed Saturday ) and then tucked away for a while with the electric 'drip-feed' attached

Happy new year to anyone reading 2014

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Do not let the McLaren battery go flat. It is a pain to jump. 20 minutes plus to remove the front tub, need a philips screw driver (supplied), 4mm allen wrench(not supplied)- go figure. That assumes your car is unlocked and you can open the front hood easily. Some engineer should be shot for this design, inexcusable that there is not an accessible jumper block in the front trunk that can be accessed in 30 seconds. I do not know how long a McLaren battery will last un tended. My Ferrari 458 would go 3 weeks and quit but it took 3 minutes to jump it- passenger footwell access. Battery maintainer always, just too easy.
Jumpers are HORIBLE for the Electronics and battery of any car.

They cause huge voltage spikes.

Use the trickle charger, there is no need for jumpers.

Jumpers are even worse for the Li-ion battery mclaren uses!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
First time my car was jumped was when the battery died when my car was at a body shop for a few days getting my front bumper fitted. boosting this battery made its lifespan horrible. I replaced the battery just recently!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts