McLaren Life banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading about battery issues due to failure of the battery tender I decided to leave my driver side window halfway down for winter storage, which is in a private garage with no supervision. Since I have a car cover I figure there is no harm. If on the slim chance the battery were to fail I can still open the door manually using the physical key found in the FOB and not risk shattering the glass window. Best insurance is to check on the car every 2 weeks to ensure the battery tender is still working properly.

·
Owner
545 Posts
I did the same thing and keep it on the tender though it's really unnecessary because the window will drop automatically once the battery goes down to a certain level on the newer models.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I did the same thing and keep it on the tender though it's really unnecessary because the window will drop automatically once the battery goes down to a certain level on the newer models.
But it does not always drop as it should. Leaving the driver window cracked an inch or two, assuming the vehicle is in secure storage is easy insurance to minimize future headaches.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I had to leave my 650 for 5 months. Not on tender as I was afraid of lightning surges. Windows left completely down in anticipation of a dead a battery. Came home, battery dead windows all the way up. Go figure.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Since the battery tender connection is in the frunk as well as the actual battery it makes more sense to leave that open for access in the event of a dead battery. You can simply close the latch with a screwdriver to fool the car to think the frunk is closed. Car cover still goes on just fine with the frunk lid only sitting about 1” higher than normal. This is what I do.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts