Votes: 10 41.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I received a Novitec style wing a few days ago and it has become a debate at the house. Some say it will not look good and the car should stay pure. Others (me :) ) think it will add to the car's styling. So, we are conducting a poll.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I think the 570s rear looks unfinished without a wing. But Novitec is the only wing I would fit because its curves closely followed the muscular lines and hips of the car’s rear and looks like they were meant to be part of the car.

the other wings stand up high and straight like park benches and create a straight, abrupt line on a car that otherwise has no straight lines. Worse, the bigger wings jut out way too tall and too wide and look overproportioned. There’s no cohérence of design.

of course the others give more downforce so if that’s your purpose for ‘winging it’ then that’s fair enough. But design wise the Novitec wins by far, imo.

thst said, I can’t really tell if that wing copies the Novitec exactly, or if it’s a little droopy on the ends...how’s the quality and where'd you get it?

·
Registered
86 Posts
That's the ONLY color I'd have second guesses with. I have a Novitec on mine and every time I see another 570 with no wing it just looks... naked. And not it a good way.

I'd still install it. Maybe give it an orange laquer in the future if it really stands out too much

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think the 570s rear looks unfinished without a wing. But Novitec is the only wing I would fit because its curves closely followed the muscular lines and hips of the car’s rear and looks like they were meant to be part of the car.

the other wings stand up high and straight like park benches and create a straight, abrupt line on a car that otherwise has no straight lines. Worse, the bigger wings jut out way too tall and too wide and look overproportioned. There’s no cohérence of design.

of course the others give more downforce so if that’s your purpose for ‘winging it’ then that’s fair enough. But design wise the Novitec wins by far, imo.

thst said, I can’t really tell if that wing copies the Novitec exactly, or if it’s a little droopy on the ends...how’s the quality and where'd you get it?
It was made by a friend and the quality is excellent.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So far it doesn't seem to be going the wing way :(

·
Registered
McLaren 720S spider, 2020. Spark.
427 Posts
I’m guessing this is solely for appearance, unless you are going to be tracking.

I have not seen such a wing on a 570 in person, but in the pictures they do look silly to me on a street car. Adolescent.

But that’s just me. I prefer to leave our 720’s wing down most of the time too. I’ve had a track car with a real functional wing and splitter and dive planes etc and really used them. That sorta got it out of my system.
And have seen so many ricers with almost homemade wings.

Have you any other carbon fiber on the car? A unique piece might seem out of place. And I’ve never seen a wing with a seem in the center

·
Registered
167 Posts
50 / 50 - well that’s decided then! 😀

Personally I prefer the clean look without. Wings belong on track cars - or 1990’s modified cars.

That being said it’s your car and you should decide - not a bunch of random people participating on an Internet forum poll.

·
Registered
McLaren 720S spider, 2020. Spark.
427 Posts
This can become a slippery slope. I put an exhaust on our Elise and wound up with a trailer and tow vehicle.

If this wing were to work out well to you, what might be next? Lowered? Unique rims? LEDs in engine compartment?

All that and more might be the way to go, but this might be your last chance to stay out of the rabbit hole.

Reactions: rw99

·
Owner
578 Posts
To each his own. For me, I think the 570 looks perfect, as is. The only reason I would add a wing is if I needed more rear stability. My Track Pack has a bigger rear spoiler and it seems to help keep the car planted when I'm at the track. The GT4 wing and High Downforce kit provides function. I've seen the Novitech wing and its profile will do nothing for function. But again........ to each his own.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I had two different 570S’ One with a wing and one without. It absolutely looks unfinished in my opinion without a wing on it. Put the wing on and don’t second guess it, it’ll look like it should’ve from the factory.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I have a Track Pack (higher rear lip spoiler) and a Novitec wing. In my opinion, the Novitec wing completes the rear end look of the 570S, and the vast majority of those who comment on it think it's a factory option.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I haven’t voted because I’m having the exact same dilemma. I love the clean lines of the 570 but from some angles (especially the spider) it looks like something is missing.
Pretty sure I’m going to try out adding a wing to mine. And novitec is the way to go for sure

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
THX for everyone participating. Some opinions are very helpful but it is not convincing my better half. A friend of mine suggested to mention to her the fact that the wing was designed by a German company and it was tested in the wind tunnel; it creates downforce and it makes the car safer when I take her out. That did not fly with her :) It seems that she is winning this battle.

I am planning to discuss the wing idea with one of the guys at McLaren who worked on the 570 during the design & clay modeling stages. It will be interesting to hear what he will say.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts