McLaren Life banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car got picked up today for its big upgrade (Oooh, can't wait!). However, one of the additional tasks the Dealer will have to fix is a big-ass crack that's appeared bang in the middle of the windscreen at the top. It's gone from 2" to around 6" over the space of a week. The driver that picked up the car told me he's taken a bunch of 12C's in for windscreen cracks in exactly the same place.
Anyone else had this happen?
If this is a systemic problem, I wonder if the replacement glass is stronger/more resistant to stress-cracking?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Gravel roads

It is the gravel roads of Texas where you guys drive 100mph+ among pickup trucks and concrete mixers. The "stress" occurs when a really big rock hits the glass. :)

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is the gravel roads of Texas where you guys drive 100mph+ among pickup trucks and concrete mixers. The "stress" occurs when a really big rock hits the glass. :)
Have you been following me?! Actually, no rock impact, just an ever-growing perfectly straight crack exactly in the middle running vertically down from the top edge. Will be interesting to hear what the dealer says.....

·
Registered
983 Posts
Had that happen as well. Was replaced under warranty. That was my second windshield (first one took a bolt head on). So I've gone through more windshield than tire sets so far...

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info Hyper

I was presuming it would be a warranty issue. The trucker that picked mine up (so take this information with a pinch of salt) told me that its been mostly happening to cars that have been tracked

·
Registered
144 Posts
Now i also have a crack in my windscreen, no signs of stone chips or anything else so it must be a stress crack, i really hope it will be covered by the warranty.
It seems to be a common problem, i saw a official MP4-12C on a car show that had a huge crack with no signs of external damage. The McLaren representative at the show just said that this could happen to any car.

·
Registered
218 Posts
oh no that's not good news for me as i have no more warranty as there is no dealer here in the philippines. hope it doesn't happen to me.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When they fixed mine, the dealer told me that apparently there's a small screw in the top rail of the windscreen frame, and the factory doesn't always tighten it enough, thus creating a hard point that subsequently initiates the crack.
And of course, there's also a factory recall for the black trim that comes unglued - its just held on with double-sided tape!

·
Registered
173 Posts
My windshield trim has been repaired 4-5 X..Apparently did not spec proper adhesive for very high humidity ie: Florida....

·
OWNER
76 Posts
My third windshield has been great now for about 600 miles. Before it would crack within 100 miles of install. Fingers crossed!!!

·
OWNER
76 Posts
I thought about that windshield skin, but my cracks were never from a rock just stress cracks in the bottom corners of the windshield. Curious to see how you like the skin. Good luck!!!!

·
Registered
418 Posts
I thought about that windshield skin, but my cracks were never from a rock just stress cracks in the bottom corners of the windshield. Curious to see how you like the skin. Good luck!!!!
I am not 100% happy with the Windshield Skin, but it is more of an issue of the guy who installed it. I am going to have it reinstalled by the guy who installed my XPEL and the Tint.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts