McLaren Life banner

81 - 89 of 89 Posts

·
Owner
553 Posts
It is crazy how often this is happening. I just had mine replaced a week ago - I am paranoid about it happening again.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
i wonder what % of cars this is happening to? My car was delivered in january 2018 and no crack yet.... knock on wood

·
Registered
400 Posts
I have a 2020 Spider that I got mid May. It happened in mid August at 3,800 miles. Waiting for the replacement.

Joe

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have a 2020 720s Spider produced in March 2020. My screen just cracked this past weekend in a 12" wavy diagonal line just under the mirror. I had 2 windshields replaced on my 2016 650s Spider as well in the past under warranty. Coincidently prior to this weekend I had asked the service manager if 720s were having glass issues and he said yes. He mentioned they were experimenting with different adhesives as the belief is there's not enough flex at the seals.

I'd encourage all of you to check your windshield often if you think you don't have this issue. It is EXTREMELY hard to notice unless you have a raking light source at the right brightness and angle. I can only see it if the car is on a slope with bright sunlight shining on it. It's hard to photograph as well. At first it will look like a spider left some web strand across your glass.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I have a 2020 720s Spider produced in March 2020. My screen just cracked this past weekend in a 12" wavy diagonal line just under the mirror. I had 2 windshields replaced on my 2016 650s Spider as well in the past under warranty. Coincidently prior to this weekend I had asked the service manager if 720s were having glass issues and he said yes. He mentioned they were experimenting with different adhesives as the belief is there's not enough flex at the seals.

I'd encourage all of you to check your windshield often if you think you don't have this issue. It is EXTREMELY hard to notice unless you have a raking light source at the right brightness and angle. I can only see it if the car is on a slope with bright sunlight shining on it. It's hard to photograph as well. At first it will look like a spider left some web strand across your glass.
I never had a stress crack on 650.

what you are describing on 720 seems to be the antenna

stress crack is very evident on 720s and not how you describe it

·
Registered
122 Posts
I never had a stress crack on 650.

what you are describing on 720 seems to be the antenna

stress crack is very evident on 720s and not how you describe it
ABSOLUTELY not the antenna. I am aware of what that looks like. This is a crack inside the glass as you cannot feel anything with a razor blade etc. Same thing happened 2x on my 650 and both were documented by McLaren and replaced. It took them many tries to document it via photos for McLaren warranty requirements.

I have heard it described as a delamination and/or stress crack. Not sure what they may call this but it's a defect.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
ABSOLUTELY not the antenna. I am aware of what that looks like. This is a crack inside the glass as you cannot feel anything with a razor blade etc. Same thing happened 2x on my 650 and both were documented by McLaren and replaced. It took them many tries to document it via photos for McLaren warranty requirements.

I have heard it described as a delamination and/or stress crack. Not sure what they may call this but it's a defect.
You must be new around here -:). Visit more often.

81 - 89 of 89 Posts