McLaren Life banner

61 - 80 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Mine cracked today! Went to eat and came back and it spontaneously cracked. Car is 1 month old brand spanking new.
Sorry to hear this, its in the same damn place as my first and now second crack, I'm pretty sure mine happened whilst sitting stationary on my drive as well - keep us informed with your progress.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I had my windshield crack on my new spider after a about a month of driving it. I also had the windshield vinyl protection installed so it wasn't an impact crack. The dealer replaced it and about 2 weeks later it cracked again!!

Dealer says they're redesigning the windshield so I hope that will solves the problem!

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
is it me or is this happening more with spiders? my guerrilla glass cracked and the Gen 2 seems good so far and that was 2k miles ago.

how are they redesigning the windshield?

·
Registered
52 Posts
My 2019 has a stress crack as well. I was told the windshields are on a long backorder, which is telling. I'm taking my car in for it's 1 year service today, and they better not give me warranty trouble on this (I made them aware and took pictures). It is obviously a stress crack since it originates at the edge and there are no chips.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
When mine was replaced I was told it was with the newer version. I haven't driven it much since so nothing to report so far.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Mine cracked on my Spider today. I have 4,000 miles. Lower driver's side corner.

Joe

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Mine will be replaced under warranty no drama, and ready for me on Tuesday my service centre say mine is the only 720 they have had to replace the screen on so maybe they genuinely did presume it would be an insurance stone chip job.

·
Registered
400 Posts
My Dealer said that he has seen a few and ordered my replacement based on a picture.

Joe

Reactions: tb993tt

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
So the latest explanation from "the factory" is the manufacturer was moving the still too hot screens from the curing oven using pincers one each side (and these pincers were clamping right where both my screens cracked) causing the screen to be slightly thinner at the clamp points and causing the weak spot which resulted in the cracking.:sneaky:

·
Registered
400 Posts
As good as any explanation.

Joe

Reactions: tb993tt

·
McLaren Convert
407 Posts
So the latest explanation from "the factory" is the manufacturer was moving the still too hot screens from the curing oven using pincers one each side (and these pincers were clamping right where both my screens cracked) causing the screen to be slightly thinner at the clamp points and causing the weak spot which resulted in the cracking.:sneaky:
So if this is really the case, why wouldn't a windshield repair be covered under extended warranty in the future?

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
My Dealer said that he has seen a few and ordered my replacement based on a picture.

Joe
but these stress cracks appear to be happening at different points... not all the same area

·
Registered
400 Posts
Are they? Mine was lower driver's side.

Joe

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
but these stress cracks appear to be happening at different points... not all the same area
From what I can see on here they seem to be either on left or right sides at the edges where they have been allegedly "gripped" apart from the poster who had one in the tint area but then his dealer said it was an impact micro fracture so maybe he was right :unsure:

·
Premium Member
370 Posts
I had a 720s on loan from a dealer. That windshield cracked spontaneously while sitting in my air conditioned garage on the lower passenger side.

61 - 80 of 89 Posts