McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noticed this crack the other day

It's not a stone chip it is coming from the side, either the door shutting has caused it or the body flexing ?
Anyway the good news is it has been approved for warranty replacement - is this a one off or has anyone else seen/heard about this issue ?

2,854 Posts
I don’t think it’s from either personally. I would say it’s from either a defective windshield or poor install. The body doesn’t flex and out of dealing with McLaren for almost 6 years, I’ve never heard of anyone shutting the door and their windshield cracking.

Anything can happen of course, just speaking from my experience and none of my customers have ever mentioned anything like this before hence my opinion .

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don’t think it’s from either personally. I would say it’s from either a defective windshield or poor install. The body doesn’t flex and out of dealing with McLaren for almost 6 years, I’ve never heard of anyone shutting the door and their windshield cracking.

Anything can happen of course, just speaking from my experience and none of my customers have ever mentioned anything like this before hence my opinion .
Yes hopefully this is indeed the reason.

·
720s
903 Posts
Easy fix and who knows. I never have heard of anyone having this issue.

Good to see you driving her in the rain :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Noticed this crack the other day

It's not a stone chip it is coming from the side, either the door shutting has caused it or the body flexing ?
Anyway the good news is it has been approved for warranty replacement - is this a one off or has anyone else seen/heard about this issue ?

In my 2018 model it never happened in my 2019 already twice.The car has less than 2000 km so far.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Does it have anything to do with climate? Are you guys with windshield cracks in northern or colder regions? not that it should matter but I'm just wondering if that somehow is causing it?

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Does it have anything to do with climate? Are you guys with windshield cracks in northern or colder regions? not that it should matter but I'm just wondering if that somehow is causing it?
It hasn't been that cold maybe -4C :confused:

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
In my 2018 model it never happened in my 2019 already twice.The car has less than 2000 km so far.

Have they told you what is causing this? I know quite a few people with 720s and haven't seen this. Some 18s and 19s. I hope you get it sorted once and for all.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yes. This happened to me the first week of buying the car. They covered under warranty. My dealer told me it’s a stress crack

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes. This happened to me the first week of buying the car. They covered under warranty. My dealer told me it’s a stress crack
That is not great, I've hardly been stressing the car the crack appeared during driving in crappy winter weather no big Gs put through the tub :(

·
Registered
69 Posts
FWIW, some C7 Z06 Corvettes experienced a similar issue. It was due to the improper application of sealent at the time of windshield installation. This allowed the glass to flex leading to the crack. R and R with new proper even application of sealant and new glass cured the problem.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Have they told you what is causing this? I know quite a few people with 720s and haven't seen this. Some 18s and 19s. I hope you get it sorted once and for all.

I have no information of the root cause. They just keep changing it. The deliverytime for the windscreen is quite long so maybe they are changing the supplier

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have a 570S Spider one year old I am on my third windscreen, two replaced under warranty, one McLaren said I had to pay for as they said it was due to impact on the screen.

I think it is a result of having thinner windscreen glass due to weight saving, I now would not use a jack to lift the car up as I think this can also cause the screens to crack, they need a proper four poster lift to make sure this does not happen.

I am about to get ClearPex applied to the front screen as I hope this may ward off any potential rock chip trikes in the future, sorry I cant be much more help.

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
I have clearplex on my car it is great another alternative is called bray

4 to $500 installed is better at saving Rock chips versus 5K for a windshield

1 - 20 of 89 Posts