McLaren Life banner

Window opening on it's own!

9K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  jessica 
#1 ·
Hi,

I've owned a 540c for a year now and it's a superb machine, but I've just got a strange issue with my windows opening on their own. At any random time, often in the middle of the night, one of the windows will go down on it's own, which then triggers off the alarm, which then also triggers off the tracker people, who then phone me and tell me "intruder alert".

This happens on either window, and the windows open by different amounts each time, varying from a couple of mm to 4 inches so far.

I then go to the car, press the key fob, open the door, shut it, the window then goes up again as usual, and then I wait until the next time it does this.

I've given the car to McLaren Birmingham who are waiting for the fault to occur on their premises so they can then work out what to do to fix it. It's that frustrating thing of being random so no idea when it's going to happen. The thing is, I can't really carry on and drive it because I can't leave it anywhere in case the window opens, and then either something could get into the window, burglar, rain etc. Has anyone got any idea's on this at all as McLaren Birmingham aren't sure at the moment?

Cheers, Alex

See less See more
#3 ·
I have the same problem with my 720S with variable window opening,10 false Tracker alerts to date as well as door rattles at higher speeds.
The issue has been diagnosed as faulty door latches, a known fault apparently. Coincidentally my car is also with McL Birmingham and has been stuck at their service centre for the last 7 weeks:(
I got an update yesterday to say that MTC (or rather their Supplier) had now manufactured new latches and Birmingham had just received them and will be fitting them today/Monday.
Hopefully that will resolve all the problems.

#8 ·
Thanks everyone. To answer that question, the car/battery is 2 years old. But the battery being wrong isn't straightforward as McLaren Birmingham pointed out to me. They told me that if the battery goes dead then both windows should open together to the same amount. But in my case, my windows have been going down one at a time, each window at different times, and different distances each time. On top of that, my battery on many of those occasions has been plugged into the conditioner so should have been 100% charged.

Huahincraig, 7 weeks, what a pain! Regarding the door catches, I'm not sure about that either. The door catches were replaced a few weeks ago on my car, along with the "touch lock switch" apparently.

What's helpful is that the problem happened again over the weekend whilst in McLaren Birmingham's workshop, and I was called by Tracker again saying intruder alert. McLaren Birmingham called me this morning when they opened, to say that the drivers window has gone down about 5mm and that they are now looking at it again. I hope they can find something in the next day or two...

#9 ·
Windows opening on their own

I’ve just taken delivery of a new 570gt( a week old now). The same thing has been happening to my car over the last two nights. Firstly, with the car locked, the passenger side window decided to drop 25mm in the middle of the night and set the alarm off. Last night with the car in the garage but unlocked, the drivers side window decided to open about 20 mm and set the alarm off at 03:00 this morning On pressing the open button on the key fob, the window closed again. No tracker alert in either case, so I imagine it is the interior motion sensor alarm.

#10 ·
Morning Monty,

After the two door latches and the "touch sensitive lock switch" were replaced - which didn't solve the issue, they finally then also replaced the two "window regulators" which were apparently faulty on driver and passenger side (They got error codes finally). I've had the car back for a week and so far no more issues :)

#11 ·
If my 2017 570S sits (without being on charger) for more than a week, the passenger window rolls 1/2 way down.

If it's on the charger, this doesn't happen.

#13 ·
Hopefully my gt is now resolved. Changing window regulators didn’t solve the issue. Now the door latches have been changed. So far so good over the last week at the dealers. The gt issue was totally random where the window would drop half way, sound the alarm and then roll its way back up to 5mm open. Was the same whether on charge or not. I’ve been on first name terms with the Vodafone tracker people for four months - hope it’s resolved this time with the door latch change.

#14 ·
My 570gt has had panic attacks for the four months since he was new - usually in the early hours of the morning. Needless to say, my wife and I are now on firast name terms with Steve at Vodafone automotive who is always very polite when he calls about the intruder alert and tracker activation. My gt often decides to drop either window half way then rolls it back up to 5mm open which is where it stays until you open and close the door.
He went in to McBristol and had his window regulators replaced but a few days later started having the panic attacks again. He is in to McBristol for a second time where he has now had his soft close latches replaced. All looks ok for a week but he will remain at the dealer until the end of the month to ensure he is cured.

#14 ·
Its been a while, but after my last post above, I got the problem yet again. This time McLaren HQ had another look and replaced the door latches again saying that both previous ones were faulty, I think they must have had a fault batch made. This time it's been months and no further problems, so I think that's the answer, it's the door latches!

#15 ·
After two visits to McBristol my 570 gt random window dropping and intruder alert alarm issue looks to be resolved.
The first time both window regulators were replaced. A few days later the issue was back. She would drop her windows about 3”, alarm sounded and then she would raise the window back up to just 5mm open. We would get the Vodafone folks sending us a text and phoning up - usually occurred in the early hours of the morning. The second visit to McBristol the door latches were changed. So far so good.
I’d get this fault regardless of battery charge and whether I had the smart charger on.

#16 ·
I think this is likely due to a faulty soft close latch(es), or related software that controls them. I don't know about the 720s, but this is a pretty well known quirk of 12c, 650's and 675's with soft close latches.

This would happen occasionally on my 12c with retrofit latches, until one failed and I had to get both replaced. Also know that if one latch goes bad, they BOTH need to be replaced because they somehow "talk to each other" as I was told by a Mclaren tech.

#17 ·
there might also be another problem, or a subset of your problem. sometimes, the windows go out of adjustment and need to be recalibrated, this is a known problem on all mclarens, it is not covered under warranty and can easily take about 6 hours for a non experienced tech to properly adjust the windows, if the problem continues i am told it is under warranty and they replace the whole window unit. Check with Dan at McLaren of San Francisco for more insight.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.