McLaren Life banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts
@ZombiePhysicist I get your point, but it's the constant demands of stuff like adaptive cruise control from people that end up diluting the ethos of the car. Do you want the engineers to spend their time (and crucially budget) discussing how to put in lane control, ACC and so on or do you want them talking about how to make the car an exciting driving experience?

I think we're lucky so far that the steering wheel is free of controls for example, but I am sure there is a growing desire to 'just have a volume button' and then within 1 model year it would look like Ferrari's wheel.
I get your point as well but yes, for some comforts I do want them to spend time. I want a cup holder. It’s a quality of life thing when I’m in a long road trip. I do get that it can creep a car into something beyond its ethos and that is a concern. Agreed.

I’d say it’s a balance thing. Because if it creeps too far in the other direction you have a hard core race car that few want nor enjoy driving on the road. Like most things, there is a balance to be struck the makes most people happier.

For example, assuming you already have a stereo, adding car play essentially doesn’t weigh the car down. It’s just software. Yet it does take resources to get it implemented. So on the one hand it needn’t change the character of the car at all if you choose to ignore it, but it did take some attention by the designers to implement it, hopefully, well.

Btw, I personally do turn off acc and other Nannie’s myself.

Discussion starter · #24 ·
I have a 750S on order. McLaren said it’s a mash up of Artura and 765LT. It looks like it’s just a parts bin mash up. Which may be a good thing for a current 720S owner myself and future 750S. So it’s just wired carplay added? No complaints here but thought there was more.

I have a 750S on order. McLaren said it’s a mash up of Artura and 765LT. It looks like it’s just a parts bin mash up. Which may be a good thing for a current 720S owner myself and future 750S. So it’s just wired carplay added? No complaints here but thought there was more.
it has the binnacles, CarPlay, the new lift buttons and the new interface from the artura. iirc the lift system is also upgraded. There are a ton of mechanical improvements stolen or inspired by the 765

As much as I agree that the 'purity' of the 720 doesn't need ACC, I enjoy mine enough that I usually choose to drive it over the other options in the garage/driveway. Even on 'fun' drives, to/from the fun parts you sometimes run into unavoidable traffic. And stop/go traffic (in my opinion) is easier to deal with when you've got ACC. It's up there with 'ventilated seats' for nice-to-have's for me.

Now that I know the 750 doesn't have it I'm even less likely to want one haha. Thanks Mclaren?

Reactions: ZombiePhysicist
McLaren advertises that 30% of the 750S is new. When you look at it McLaren is right. It's an evolution of the 720S. It's not a watered down 765LT. I can't wait until September!

21 - 27 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.