McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening gents. Been thinking about something lately.

The <150k car category is important for McLaren to reach their goal of tripling annual unit sales. In this price range two cars that have really captured me are the BMW i8 and our very own P13. And they have done so for very different reasons.

The P13 will of course be: McLaren uncompromising performance, form follows function, P1 inspired looks in a 911 price range. Unless they really **** it up, it should sell itself.

The i8 brings one very interesting thing to the table: it's a sports car with 4 seats. Not having to choose between driving the sports car and having passengers is a great sales pitch. I really wish they had gone slightly more towards performance, instead of going so far in building a showcase of sustainability.

So what do you think, should McLaren build a 4 seater sports car? I wish they would.

I think it's highly doubtful it'll ever happen since all models so far are based on the same tub, which doesn't have the room for 2 more seats, but I figured this might inspire a good discussion.

They could always bring back the 3 seater :cool:

·
Registered
22 Posts
This is a very good thought,

Masaratti - Quattroporte
Porsche - Panamera

I guess the bigger question (and I dont know the answer) what are Ferrari saying? If they plan to do one fast hardcore 4 seater then I suspect so will the Woking crew!

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
When Mclaren are bought by Hyundai / Kia they will make fast 4 seaters, and the Satnav, called Sun-Jung , will work ...............and they will have reversing cameras.

·
Premium Member
1,252 Posts
They always said no to this, but anything is not set in stone I don't think, if there is enough demand and makes enough money I am sure business *could* lead the way for 4 seater option, especially for the far east.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is a very good thought,

Masaratti - Quattroporte
Porsche - Panamera

I guess the bigger question (and I dont know the answer) what are Ferrari saying? If they plan to do one fast hardcore 4 seater then I suspect so will the Woking crew!
The Quattroporte, Panamera and Rapide are saloons. Ferrari has the FF but it is even bigger being a grand tourer.

That's why I think the i8 is unique in being a 4 seater sports car. I think if McLaren went into this space they could dominate and create a very interesting niche. Only a manufacturer that really understands carbon fiber could make something small and light enough to still handle like a sports car while seating 4 relatively comfortably.

There are also people making rear seats that fit small children, this is not what this thread is about, but actually seating 4 normal adults (notice I said normal, not average :)).

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
You know Porsche became a 4x4 company after the launch of the 4 seater Cayenne when it reached 55% of sales followed by the 4 seated Panamera and shortly the small 4x4 , the 4 seater Macan, based on the Q5 which will out sell the Cayenne (probably)........... This happened when they judged they had reached a plateau in two seater market share........and. Porsche is the most profitable car company in the World by margin, cash flow and net profit per unit.........so it did them no harm, but only after reaching that plateau .

Most 911 fanboys see the Cayenne as hideously overweight and ugly and the Panamera as a barge but they still buy their Turbo's and GT3's in vast numbers.

·
Dread man , truly dread
1,183 Posts
You know Porsche became a 4x4 company after the launch of the 4 seater Cayenne when it reached 55% of sales followed by the 4 seated Panamera and shortly the small 4x4 , the 4 seater Macan, based on the Q5 which will out sell the Cayenne (probably)........... This happened when they judged they had reached a plateau in two seater market share........and. Porsche is the most profitable car company in the World by margin, cash flow and net profit per unit.........so it did them no harm, but only after reaching that plateau .

Most 911 fanboys see the Cayenne as hideously overweight and ugly and the Panamera as a barge but they still buy their Turbo's and GT3's in vast numbers.
Very true .

I see panamera and cayenne etc as the money to build 918 , 960 , gt3 rs etc .
If it helps mclaren with cashflow I think its a good idea but only AFTER the brand is well established in wider circles .

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
The Quattroporte, Panamera and Rapide are saloons. Ferrari has the FF but it is even bigger being a grand tourer.

That's why I think the i8 is unique in being a 4 seater sports car. I think if McLaren went into this space they could dominate and create a very interesting niche. Only a manufacturer that really understands carbon fiber could make something small and light enough to still handle like a sports car while seating 4 relatively comfortably.

There are also people making rear seats that fit small children, this is not what this thread is about, but actually seating 4 normal adults (notice I said normal, not average :)).
Your point re carbon fibre is interesting. Where I struggle is why do driver/owners want to take 3 passengers at 2g in corners, excelerate and brake at stomach churning pace especially when they must be wealthy enough to own multiple vehicles..........maybe that's the answere!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Your point re carbon fibre is interesting. Where I struggle is why do driver/owners want to take 3 passengers at 2g in corners, excelerate and brake at stomach churning pace especially when they must be wealthy enough to own multiple vehicles..........maybe that's the answere!
For me it's not about wealth or lack thereof, nor is it about making your passengers toss their collective cookies (that's just a side benefit). It's about not having to make a choice between the fun car and the people mover.

I love my two seater sports car, I drive it to work every day. It's nimble, fast and a ton of fun to drive. I'm firmly in the Gordon Murray camp and prefer a smaller car: "Most super cars today are absurdly wide. It is totally unnecessary". The F1 footprint is about the same as a boxster.

I considered getting a sportier 4 seater like an M3 or a C63 AMG, but after driving them I felt that even though they were very fast in a straight line, they just didn't deliver the driving dynamics.

So that's why, even though the i8 has the performance of a car costing half as much, is still in the running. And unless Mclaren completely botches the P13, I'll be picking up one of those as well. If somehow I could fuse those two cars together it would be the perfect car IMHO.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Drive the Rapide S.

Just came to terms on one with my dealer. I think I'm hooked on British cars. Like British hi-fi speakers, they give a rather less in your face experience. Even in orange.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I see panamera and cayenne etc as the money to build 918 , 960 , gt3 rs etc. If it helps mclaren with cashflow I think its a good idea but only AFTER the brand is well established in wider circles .
+100. The bottom line is that the company needs to be profitable to put money into product development. Porsche figured that out in 1990's when they came out with a Boxster to help subsidize 911 costs. Since then they have expanded their product line. All companies do this to survive.

·
Registered
886 Posts
A four seat car with two doors is not meant for real adults, IMO. In fact, the rapide rear seats are quite small for a proper saloon.

·
Registered
715 Posts
A four seat car with two doors is not meant for real adults, IMO. In fact, the rapide rear seats are quite small for a proper saloon.
Yes they are. But they work and it's properly gorgeous. I'm on a diet as I tap this and bought a desk with a treadmill under it for the few times I end up in the rear seats. True story.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts