McLaren Life banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
570S Owner
2020 720S Coupé
109 Posts
Agreed wholeheartedly. Suit was filed last week by my co-counsel FYI.
Questions: Who are the named defendants?

If the dealer(s) is(are) one(some) of them, how are you getting around the arbitration clause that's in most of the sales contracts?

On a side note, while I might not agree with the way you wrote your post, I do completely understand your anger, frustration, etc. After my getting nowhere with either the dealer (The Collection Miami - worst/most incompetent/fraud-committing service department I've ever experienced (Collection, PLZ sue me for defamation - I'd love to have you in regular court rather than arbitration) ) nor with the higher-ups in McLaren (no follow-up at all from after sales - even after communicating on the VP level (with a fantastic guy)), I've decided it just isn't worth my time/aggravation. I'm simply counting down the days left in the lease and will never consider buying/leasing anything from the brand again. For those wondering, the car is a 2020 720S Coupe ($400k sticker) that was ordered and purchased(leased) new by me. Neither The Collection nor McLaren cared in the least to sort anything out (after Collection repeatedly lied/made stuff up/pretended to 'service' the car etc.) And, just to be balanced, my 2019 570 was problem-free and a joy in every way (for the year I had it). The problem is quality control, service, and manufacturer/dealer/owner problem resolution. It's all a shame because if you get one of the vast majority problem-free cars, life is awesome...but if you get one of the (maybe) few not-so-awesome-ones, you are in for misery, frustration, conflict, and headaches.

·
Registered
151 Posts

If the dealer(s) is(are) one(some) of them, how are you getting around the arbitration clause that's in most of the sales contracts?

On a side note, while I might not agree with the way you wrote your post, I do completely understand your anger, frustration, etc. After my getting nowhere with either the dealer (The Collection Miami - worst/most incompetent/fraud-committing service department I've ever experienced (Collection, PLZ sue me for defamation - I'd love to have you in regular court rather than arbitration) ) nor with the higher-ups in McLaren (no follow-up at all from after sales - even after communicating on the VP level (with a fantastic guy)), I've decided it just isn't worth my time/aggravation. I'm simply counting down the days left in the lease and will never consider buying/leasing anything from the brand again. For those wondering, the car is a 2020 720S Coupe ($400k sticker) that was ordered and purchased(leased) new by me. Neither The Collection nor McLaren cared in the least to sort anything out (after Collection repeatedly lied/made stuff up/pretended to 'service' the car etc.) And, just to be balanced, my 2019 570 was problem-free and a joy in every way (for the year I had it). The problem is quality control, service, and manufacturer/dealer/owner problem resolution. It's all a shame because if you get one of the vast majority problem-free cars, life is awesome...but if you get one of the (maybe) few not-so-awesome-ones, you are in for misery, frustration, conflict, and headaches.
Dont give up on the Mclaren. Try and document the issue and take it to another dealer. Sometimes servicing dealers are scumbags, sometimes the problem is hard to diagnose, yours sounds like a bit of both. Mclarens are amazing cars and the people you dealt with should not and DO NOT represent the brand

I emailed the generic mclaren north america customer service email and i spammed them with videos until they replied and got factory techs looking into my problem directly to make absolutely SURE i do not have to go back to the dealer again. Even if they mess up again, my dealer (which also represents multiple car marques) is working more intensively on my car with actual pressure from mclaren and i feel comfortable knowing that.

·
Owner
521 Posts
This is probably the worst experience I have ever heard about. That is terrible. Hopefully you get it resolved, but it seems the only way this is going to happen is if they agree to buy the car back, which they should. If and when they do, I would just be done.

Reactions: Spr

·
Registered
2,600 Posts

Yeah didn't you custom order a silver car? I remember your post about specing it out.

what kind of issues did you have

·
Registered
2012 MP4-12C
705 Posts
Porsche bends over backwards to make things right and their servicers are properly trained and competent. Mclaren's are basically a service station attendant working on your car, so it's either a roll of the dice, incompetence or fraud to make money off warranty.
I've heard the exact opposite of Porsche from a few people. As a matter of fact, one had a 918, and 911r, and they jerked him around on a GT2RS. When his car finally came in (after the dealer sold his car to someone else, then got another one and sold that one to someone else) he was so pissed he just sold it 4 days later. In terms of service, I've heard of similar problems you're having. I was in the market for a new daily, drove into the Porsche dealer in my McLaren, a porter opened the door for me and once inside not a single person even acknowledged I was there. After browsing for 15 minutes I just left.

Luckily, my car has been very good with no serious issues at all. Plus, 2 of the 3 dealers in my area seem to be pretty good (the third I wouldn't even try because of horrendous experiences with their Aston Martin service). My only complaint is the inflated cost of the yearly maintenance and extended warranty. However, stories like yours are way too common. Having too many cars, bad service departments, and a bad corporate attitude towards customers is going to drag this company down, it has already. You can get away with one of those problems, but certainly not all three.
The joys of servicing yourself, you don't have to deal with any of that. But make no mistake, the inflated maintenance and warranty is universally ridiculous (another reason to DIY). Of every dealer I've dealt with the service department, for whatever reason, the only one I can't say anything negative about is a local Cadillac dealer. The worst thing they ever did was give me a loaner for a recall service that was an ugly color. The McLaren dealer in Atanta may have improved since replacing the service manager (which was awful before) but you went through the same guy for Lamborghini, Aston Martin, McLaren, Lotus, or Rolls Royce so same story for those brands.

I think the key point to remember here is basically all car brands have dealers that are independently owned and operated, and those are the people that will ultimately make or break your perception of the brand. Yes corporate can veto/override decisions and are responsible for how things leave the factory, but they're also the last line of defense when you have a problem. If you have 3 dealer options for a brand and they all suck, that's just unfortunate.

·
Registered
201 Posts
So this garbage thread had to be posted in two places to try to inflict even more brand harm? So I’ll repeat here what I said in the other thread—I’m calling BS on the legitimacy of these allegations ... I’d be willing to bet there are material undisclosed facts that undermine OP’s allegations.

I’ve had three McLarens and would gladly buy another. They’ve all been perfect, and I think the 675LT is one of the all time greats.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yup, everyone who has a problem with a mac car or dealer is lying :ROFLMAO: Lots of liars in this community. I guess Pat will set the record straight in that case.

·
Premium Member
3,789 Posts
You must not be familiar with how to win political positions in the United States.
Maybe you can inform me of how it's done.

The last I heard, there were four ways of doing it:

• Being a thin-skinned, dishonest, narcissistic clown;
  • Being a lackey who nods like a trained seal whenever his boss looks at him;
  • Being someone who's lost half his marbles and didn't start with a full bag to begin with; or
  • Sleeping with the most important politician in your state.

Is there a fifth way?
:unsure:

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Yup, everyone who has a problem with a mac car or dealer is lying :ROFLMAO: Lots of liars in this community. I guess Pat will set the record straight in that case.
I've been on these forums for a very long time. I've known the situation of a few "ranters". There is a legal process to resolve disputes and ranting on car forums that are one sided isn't one of them.

Common theme for people who are dissatisfied:

1) modifiers
2) DIY
3) bought used from third party
4) bought used from non servicing dealer
5) leaving material facts out of the rant

You can actually complain to NHTSA.gov. They will post it on their website for all to see. You have to clearly write it, put your name to it, etc. There is a process.

fwiw; just about every mac dealer and third party dealer is begging for inventory. Many Mac owners are mutli mac owners.

It's sad to see when people have 8,000, 11,000, 20,000 miles on their cars and trying to use unique ways to try to get out of them by ranting on forums.

car forum posters and their views on most things that are car related to not relate to the typical owner.

Reactions: Wone87

·
Registered
151 Posts
I've been on these forums for a very long time. I've known the situation of a few "ranters". There is a legal process to resolve disputes and ranting on car forums that are one sided isn't one of them.

1) modifiers
2) DIY
5) leaving material facts out of the rant

You can actually complain to NHTSA.gov. They will post it on their website for all to see. You have to clearly write it, put your name to it, etc. There is a process.

fwiw; just about every mac dealer and third party dealer is begging for inventory. Many Mac owners are mutli mac owners.

It's sad to see when people have 8,000, 11,000, 20,000 miles on their cars and trying to use unique ways to try to get out of them by ranting on forums.

car forum posters and their views on most things that are car related to not relate to the typical owner.
What would be the correct way to amend a situation like this? From what I can understand, the OP is suggesting that Mclaren client services and his dealership is not complying with his demands at all (i agree that the case is a litte vague). Im sure neither party is completely irrational. Why cant there be a resolution? This go to court culture is fairly new and weird to me

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Nady. You well know me and the issues. You know they're not fluff. I've been trying to be reasonable since last year and have taken the car to 3 dealers now. I have all the service records to prove everything. All issues are evident. You all can speculate all you'd like. Send me an PM and happy to share. Defamation is irrelevant with defense of truth. Clearly you are not an attorney.

To the others, thanks for your support. Again, note the reasoning for the post as I identified within. I've tried to be reasonable with Mclaren in every which way possible. It was never my intent to lemon the car, I just wanted it fixed, but the treatment and resulting damage and issues documented through countless emails and services records with not having the car for what almost a year being in the shop are truly outrageous.

Reactions: steel_3d

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm not a lawyer, but I don't think anyone's ever lost a defamation case for calling someone scum :) Defamation is not calling people names, but telling lies about their character.

But we're really veering off into irrelevant territory here. Either Spr's claims are true, and most of us would think mac's behavior was wrong in these instances, or he's lying and someone would have to present evidence for that.

So let's stick to the facts.

·
Premium Member
3,789 Posts
I'm not a lawyer, but I don't think anyone's ever lost a defamation case for calling someone scum :) Defamation is not calling people names, but telling lies about their character.

But we're really veering off into irrelevant territory here. Either Spr's claims are true, and most of us would think mac's behavior was wrong in these instances, or he's lying and someone would have to present evidence for that.

So let's stick to the facts.
Depends on whether the defamed suffered a loss. If the defamed became unemployable in his profession the motoring industry because someone went on a public motoring forum and said he was 'scum' and a 'loser' and alleged that on multiple occasions when representing his employer he told the defamer to 'go fuck yourself', there could be a substantial loss.

Regardless of the details of defamation law, this is a forum normally frequented by people who normally act like grown-ups. Regardless of the validity or otherwise of the OP's assertions and arguments, he is enlightening no one by indulging in foul-mouthed rants.

·
Registered
2012 MP4-12C
705 Posts
Maybe you can inform me of how it's done.

The last I heard, there were four ways of doing it:

• Being a thin-skinned, dishonest, narcissistic clown;
  • Being a lackey who nods like a trained seal whenever his boss looks at him;
  • Being someone who's lost half his marbles and didn't start with a full bag to begin with; or
  • Sleeping with the most important politician in your state.

Is there a fifth way?
:unsure:
This is off topic so I'll limit it to this response only, but you also have to run for office not by saying why you're good but why everyone else is bad and insulting everyone that isn't humping your leg. Using colorful language like you pointed out is a must. Endless financial and/or sex scandals mandatory.

1) modifiers
2) DIY
This is me, and I'm quite satisfied.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts