McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All:

I love Mclaren cars but the brand and servicing is beyond garbage and replete with fraud. I don't know about you but my entire experience with Mclaren has been a horrible nightmare or fraud and malfeasance. It is beyond grossly disparate from any other high end brand, Porsche, Ferrari, Lambo, et al. Most recently I took the car to its 3rd servicer in my short ownership - yes THIRD because of prior problems with incompetence of service with Ogara San Diego leaving 30 bolts off a fender liner whilst denying warranty claims, then giving me shit about it (I am happy to provide the emails.) Next try was Newport when the car lived there for something like 4 or so months each time coming back with 4 more problems that were never present before including a broken windshield and several times when I drove from San Diego to get the car to have a check engine lighted after signing paperwork, et al.at pick up! However, most recently, I took the car to Rancho Mirage - this time not out of choice despite the Mclaren San Diego club unanimously advising it was the only decent servicer - but out of necessity because on the way to check out a 600lt roof scoop car it threw transmission codes yet again. This, mind you after Mclaren has already agreed to lemon my car due to countless transmission issues they refuse to properly fix- all the while trying to screw me on illegal bad faith statutory calculations of thousands of dollars necessitating a full lawsuit for civil penalties and CRLA damages just to get around Pat who is scum. In sum I have been told countless times to go fuck myself despite countless attempts at reasonable resolution. Pat must be fired and Mclaren must mandate certified technicians only to work on the car as I'm told Ogara SD doesn't even have one by Pat hence my problems.

Back to Rancho Mirage. The car had transmission faults on the way there so bad it dropped out of gear. Being a Mclaren, I pulled over and restarted it hoping for the best. No such luck. It chimed at me the entire drive to go to the service center. Just as I was almost there - down the street- it locked up the rear wheels almost causing an accident. I called them and advised the nice English gent I had the appt with. He told me to bring it in and couldn't have been nicer. However, over the several months it rotted there they curbed my finspeeds wheels and put HUNDREDS of miles in 120 weather on my Michelin cups wasting same and then tried to give the car back to me without telling me about the damage or repair until pick up. It was obvious the right front did not matching the rest. More interesting, the AC decided to short killing the fans and compressor while there - Odd, it never had these problems. The car went back for the wheels and you guessed it for transmission problems popping up yet again. They then advised me they'd properly powdercoat them after I gave them Finspeed's info to make it right. I was then advised it didn't match the first time, then they didn't strip them the second and it looked like shit the second. They they advised me they'd buy me a new wheel if they couldn't match it with their painter. Low and behold they shipped the car back advising it was fine after finding out the price. Was it fine? Fuck no. They painted (without stripping) ALL four wheels without my advisement or consent. God knows how heavy they are now.

In sum, what are we to do? Pat is a loser that denies warranty coverage. I tried to speak with after sales to try and get some help after they aided Ron - while fucking him over then sort of trying to rehabilitate their image honored their agreement after breach btw. I live in San Diego. I love Mclaren. This car obviously has issues. Every experience with a service has resulted in further damage or fraud. I've legit owned this car what 1.5yr and had it like 4mo? I love the cars but damn. This is why this brand will fail. BTW. I am an attorney and looked up how many lawsuits are ongoing against Mclaren and their dealers. You'd be startled.

I am simply dumbfounded. Porsche bends over backwards to make things right and their servicers are properly trained and competent. Mclaren's are basically a service station attendant working on your car, so it's either a roll of the dice, incompetence or fraud to make money off warranty. Who knows. I've spoken with countless Mclaren owners and they unanimously agree this must change or we will leave the brand.

Let me know you're thoughts and similar experiences. I'm going to be forced to unfortunately sue Mclaren just to comply with California law.

As to the flaming, please understand I've tried each and every avenue to be reasonable, gong so far as to travel hundreds of miles to try other dealers. I've been beyond reasonable but this is just ridiculous.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Luckily, my car has been very good with no serious issues at all. Plus, 2 of the 3 dealers in my area seem to be pretty good (the third I wouldn't even try because of horrendous experiences with their Aston Martin service). My only complaint is the inflated cost of the yearly maintenance and extended warranty. However, stories like yours are way too common. Having too many cars, bad service departments, and a bad corporate attitude towards customers is going to drag this company down, it has already. You can get away with one of those problems, but certainly not all three.

·
Registered
90 Posts
All:

I love Mclaren cars but the brand and servicing is beyond garbage and replete with fraud. I don't know about you but my entire experience with Mclaren has been a horrible nightmare or fraud and malfeasance. It is beyond grossly disparate from any other high end brand, Porsche, Ferrari, Lambo, et al. Most recently I took the car to its 3rd servicer in my short ownership - yes THIRD because of prior problems with incompetence of service with Ogara San Diego leaving 30 bolts off a fender liner whilst denying warranty claims, then giving me shit about it (I am happy to provide the emails.) Next try was Newport when the car lived there for something like 4 or so months each time coming back with 4 more problems that were never present before including a broken windshield and several times when I drove from San Diego to get the car to have a check engine lighted after signing paperwork, et al.at pick up! However, most recently, I took the car to Rancho Mirage - this time not out of choice despite the Mclaren San Diego club unanimously advising it was the only decent servicer - but out of necessity because on the way to check out a 600lt roof scoop car it threw transmission codes yet again. This, mind you after Mclaren has already agreed to lemon my car due to countless transmission issues they refuse to properly fix- all the while trying to screw me on illegal bad faith statutory calculations of thousands of dollars necessitating a full lawsuit for civil penalties and CRLA damages just to get around Pat who is scum. In sum I have been told countless times to go fuck myself despite countless attempts at reasonable resolution. Pat must be fired and Mclaren must mandate certified technicians only to work on the car as I'm told Ogara SD doesn't even have one by Pat hence my problems.

Back to Rancho Mirage. The car had transmission faults on the way there so bad it dropped out of gear. Being a Mclaren, I pulled over and restarted it hoping for the best. No such luck. It chimed at me the entire drive to go to the service center. Just as I was almost there - down the street- it locked up the rear wheels almost causing an accident. I called them and advised the nice English gent I had the appt with. He told me to bring it in and couldn't have been nicer. However, over the several months it rotted there they curbed my finspeeds wheels and put HUNDREDS of miles in 120 weather on my Michelin cups wasting same and then tried to give the car back to me without telling me about the damage or repair until pick up. It was obvious the right front did not matching the rest. More interesting, the AC decided to short killing the fans and compressor while there - Odd, it never had these problems. The car went back for the wheels and you guessed it for transmission problems popping up yet again. They then advised me they'd properly powdercoat them after I gave them Finspeed's info to make it right. I was then advised it didn't match the first time, then they didn't strip them the second and it looked like shit the second. They they advised me they'd buy me a new wheel if they couldn't match it with their painter. Low and behold they shipped the car back advising it was fine after finding out the price. Was it fine? Fuck no. They painted (without stripping) ALL four wheels without my advisement or consent. God knows how heavy they are now.

In sum, what are we to do? Pat is a loser that denies warranty coverage. I tried to speak with after sales to try and get some help after they aided Ron - while fucking him over then sort of trying to rehabilitate their image honored their agreement after breach btw. I live in San Diego. I love Mclaren. This car obviously has issues. Every experience with a service has resulted in further damage or fraud. I've legit owned this car what 1.5yr and had it like 4mo? I love the cars but damn. This is why this brand will fail. BTW. I am an attorney and looked up how many lawsuits are ongoing against Mclaren and their dealers. You'd be startled.

I am simply dumbfounded. Porsche bends over backwards to make things right and their servicers are properly trained and competent. Mclaren's are basically a service station attendant working on your car, so it's either a roll of the dice, incompetence or fraud to make money off warranty. Who knows. I've spoken with countless Mclaren owners and they unanimously agree this must change or we will leave the brand.

Let me know you're thoughts and similar experiences. I'm going to be forced to unfortunately sue Mclaren just to comply with California law.

As to the flaming, please understand I've tried each and every avenue to be reasonable, gong so far as to travel hundreds of miles to try other dealers. I've been beyond reasonable but this is just ridiculous.
We’re posting this again? Oh jeez.

Sorry you apparently had a bad experience. Not much us on the forums can do. As said already.

My 12C has been great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
2012 12C Coupe - VR
1,700 Posts
All:

HI Sean,
So sorry to hear about all of the issues and frustration you've had with your car and the service centers. The repeated transmission issue definitely sounds like a lemon law situation. Hopefully you can arrange a buy-back and you can get a different McLaren that doesn't have these issues. I know you have your heart set on a 600 LT!

One thing I learned in my dealings with McLaren North America Aftersales, the service centers are all independent contractors, and hence, McLaren Corporate has no legal responsibility for anything that occurs at a service center including your wheel damage, windshield, etc. So, if you are pursuing legal action, you will have to add the service centers as a defendant in your suit.

I did learn that if a car has been out of your possession for > 1 month or has had a repeated issue that could not be repaired at least 4x, it qualifies for a lemon law buyback. Hopefully you can get this arranged as soon as possible so you can move on past this.

McLaren North America Aftersales and McLaren San Diego/O'Gara were very fair to me with my issues (PSA/WARNING: DO NOT MODIFY YOUR MCLAREN IN ANY WAY IF...) , and I am now pleased with the resolution. Hopefully you will get your issues resolved fairly as well.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes I'll be adding PS in the suit given their response. Totally unacceptable. I already have agreement to buy the car back from Pat but they're miscalculating the use fee and statutory required additional amounts including registration. Rediculous. Time for civil penalties.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Yes I'll be adding PS in the suit given their response. Totally unacceptable. I already have agreement to buy the car back from Pat but they're miscalculating the use fee and statutory required additional amounts including registration. Rediculous. Time for civil penalties.
I'm sure you know, but for everyone else, lemon laws are different in every state, so you have to find out what qualifies under lemon law in your state and the mandated remedy is also specific to each state. Having said that, you can sue the manufacturer even if it falls outside of the state lemon laws, its just not cookie-cutter so you need a solid case to win (or have the car company settle).

One more note: the law that applies is the state you purchased the car in, not the state you live in.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes. I'm an attorney and already engaged in negotiations and wrote the Complaint.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Magnasson moss act, federal level warranty act designed to protect purchasers from manufacturers who do not live up to their warranty commitments. As an attorney I am sure you know about that and if they are buying it back that’s great. Mine was a demo with 2000 miles on it and they said they couldn’t buy it back because it wasn’t new. Left me powerless until I found an attorney specializing in this kind of law. Good luck.

·
2012 12C Coupe - VR
1,700 Posts
I am curious how many McLarens have been bought back by McLaren corporate? Is this data public knowledge?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I would not buy a car from any other brand, had more issues with my two Porsches (997 Turbo and GT3) than I had with my 570 after the same driving distance and 2 years of owning both.

From a driving dynamics, steering feel, chassi feedback and seating position nothing I've driven comes close. As a bonus its also better looking and faster than the competition.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I am curious how many McLarens have been bought back by McLaren corporate? Is this data public knowledge?
Hardly any cars get legally lemoned. Marque's do it a different way.

When a car is truly a lemon; it happens very early in its ownership history and it will happen with low miles.
People who do full blast on car forums leave out many, many, many details when they don't like the response from the marque;

Namely:
How much did they pay for the car
Where did they buy it from
New vs. used
How many miles were on the car
Modifications made
Where the car was serviced
How many miles when they tried to lemon or they consider it a P.O.S.
What history they have with other marque's in trying to lemon cars

The above would give a clear picture of things of why manufactures react the way they do.

It's pretty comical when a person drives a car over 10K miles and then says its a P.O.S. and try to lemon it. (marque's basically know when a person is trying to get out of a car and trying to use the lemon thing as a hostage).

I've known people who lemoned a car after they drove it for over 20K miles and then went into another marque and lemoned a car from that marque also.

All these rants that we see on car forums generally have a certain customer type which is not the general customer.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Trust me, I know the law and educated Pat on same to repeated bad faith. Lemon law is a joke compared to what I do. It's more akin to workers comp or the low of the low subject matters. I just won a fee motion after an appeal and trial we did. This is nothing for me. Some people just can't be helped. I hope he gets fired after this is done. He is a beyond unreasonable human being. This is why there are civil penalties. Had he simply complied with the law this would have been done last year.

As to actual reporting of the number of lemons, I'm advised by many prior owners on their deals that Mclaren in violation of the law refuses to title them as lemons and simply repurchases and resells them so they don't have actual and those poor statistics reflected. Apparently they just push it on to the next victim per them.

·
Registered
145 Posts

When a car is truly a lemon; it happens very early in its ownership history and it will happen with low miles.
People who do full blast on car forums leave out many, many, many details when they don't like the response from the marque;

Namely:
New vs. used
Modifications made

The above would give a clear picture of things of why manufactures react the way they do.

It's pretty comical when a person drives a car over 10K miles and then says its a P.O.S. and try to lemon it. (marque's basically know when a person is trying to get out of a car and trying to use the lemon thing as a hostage).

I've known people who lemoned a car after they drove it for over 20K miles and then went into another marque and lemoned a car from that marque also.

All these rants that we see on car forums generally have a certain customer type which is not the general customer.
"I've known people..." Isn't it great how people take one specific case and then use it as proof of some bigger generalization? What does the mileage matter other than some states have a specific mileage limit written into their law? I had a car that was fine for 10,000 miles then left me stranded 3 times in two months with the same issue. Luckily they actually found and fixed the problem on the third attempt, otherwise it would have fallen under the lemon law in my state. Car was fine after that. A problem doesn't have to happen immediately and the car doesn't have to be a P.O.S to qualify as a lemon.

But hey, don't let the obvious get in the way of your "rant".

·
Registered
2019 McLaren 600LT Chicane Effect
40 Posts

Namely:
New vs. used
Modifications made

Have to disagree with you a bit here. I'm intimately familiar with a 2014 Dodge Viper SRT T/A and a 2016 Tesla Model S getting lemon lawed here in CA (Bay Area). Both required legal representation, both took a long time and a lot of fighting to get resolved, and in both the manufacturer ended up losing a lot more than if they had just bought the cars back without taking it to court. The T/A went through 2 engines in 30k miles, First went out at 24k, the second just before 30k, and had a plethora of other issues as well. The Tesla spent 9 months of its second year with the manufacturer and 7 months of its third year in the shop. There was a third case of a co-worker's Shelby GT-350 that got replaced with a brand new one by Ford with no questions asked due to sever oil cooler issues. That car was 2 years old and had 18k miles on it.

I'm only familiar with SPC's stance as far as what he has posted here, (don't know him or his car), but I wouldn't dismiss what he is saying. Sounds pretty much like what I've seen in the past with manufacturers not wanting to lemon law a car. Can also understand the manufacturer's stance though. There are a lot of cases of people looking for a way out after having regret for other reasons, and hoping that they can get a lemon law out, while in some other cases if they make it hard enough, some people won't follow through even if they actually have a lemon. I imagine that it either all comes down to financial risk for them, or to someone's ego.

·
Registered
23 Posts
"There are a lot of cases of people looking for a way out after having regret for other reasons"

I don't know what you guys are on about. Lemon law is very simple. If the car is not in the shop for a month or doesn't go back 4 times for the same problem, it's not a lemon. If the manufacturer doesn't want lemons, they shouldn't make shit cars, or they should fix them properly the first or second time. Then there would be no question of customer motives. Besides, the issues in this post are beyond lemon law, and mac agreed to lemon the car a long time ago. It's about a bad car and bad service and bad faith.

·
Registered
40 Posts
"There are a lot of cases of people looking for a way out after having regret for other reasons"

I don't know what you guys are on about. Lemon law is very simple. If the car is not in the shop for a month or doesn't go back 4 times for the same problem, it's not a lemon. If the manufacturer doesn't want lemons, they shouldn't make shit cars, or they should fix them properly the first or second time. Then there would be no question of customer motives. Besides, the issues in this post are beyond lemon law, and mac agreed to lemon the car a long time ago. It's about a bad car and bad service and bad faith.
Maybe you didn't understand what I was saying. I am saying that there are people out there that look for an excuse to return a car, a trying to Lemon Law their car is one of their methods, but their car doesn't meet the criteria. They go to the dealer complaining, they go to the boards complaining, but by law their car doesn't meet the threshold of being a lemon. A manufacturer isn't going to take a car back that doesn't meet the criteria no matter how much complaining/letters written/who was contacted. And then there are those cases where the car meets all the criteria by law, and the manufacturer still doesn't want to take the car back, hoping the individual will just go away as they try to make it too much trouble to deal with.

Just so you understand, I currently own a McLaren, and am looking at owning another LT in addition to the one I have (765 Spider if they come out in time, or a great 675LT Spider will do as well). I see their problems, and for me I can live with those for the enjoyment I get out of it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
And neither of your points apply to this post :) At the very least because mac agreed to lemon a long time ago.

So let's focus on the issues at hand: bad car, bad service and bad faith.

Being an apologist in the face of stuff like this, changing the subject, will not make the brand better. It may not even survive. Then your and my appreciation for the cars will be meaningless.

Like I said: if mac doesn't want lemons, they shouldn't make shit cars or they should fix them properly. Very simple. In fact they should over-compensate people who were affected by their failures. That'll force them to get better faster. Denying lemons and warranties will only prolong their failure. Improving the quality of their cars and their service will make them thrive. It's the smart thing to do. Short sightedness is dumb. Not stocking common failure items in the US is dumb. Not fixing bad parts for years is dumb. Trying to cheat customers is dumb. Pinching pennies while losing tens of millions is dumb. Etc. Etc. Most of these are EASY fixes. They would even compensate for the initial quality issues. But if even people on the receiving end of the stupidity don't want to make it better, no one will. If management believes what you believe, that "our cars are mostly perfect, it's just some assholes trying to get out of cars for free" when the cars and service are clearly broken, it's guaranteed nothing will get better.

These are all management issues and Mac's management is extremely poor, including their management of their dealers. Pat himself is part of that management. Management needs to be held accountable, or nothing will get better, and the brand may fail.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Agreed wholeheartedly. Suit was filed last week by my co-counsel FYI.

Reactions: Vorais

·
Registered
40 Posts
And neither of your points apply to this post :) At the very least because mac agreed to lemon a long time ago.

So let's focus on the issues at hand: bad car, bad service and bad faith.

Being an apologist in the face of stuff like this, changing the subject, will not make the brand better. It may not even survive. Then your and my appreciation for the cars will be meaningless.

Like I said: if mac doesn't want lemons, they shouldn't make shit cars or they should fix them properly. Very simple. In fact they should over-compensate people who were affected by their failures. That'll force them to get better faster. Denying lemons and warranties will only prolong their failure. Improving the quality of their cars and their service will make them thrive. It's the smart thing to do. Short sightedness is dumb. Not stocking common failure items in the US is dumb. Not fixing bad parts for years is dumb. Trying to cheat customers is dumb. Pinching pennies while losing tens of millions is dumb. Etc. Etc. Most of these are EASY fixes. They would even compensate for the initial quality issues. But if even people on the receiving end of the stupidity don't want to make it better, no one will. If management believes what you believe, that "our cars are mostly perfect, it's just some assholes trying to get out of cars for free" when the cars and service are clearly broken, it's guaranteed nothing will get better.

These are all management issues and Mac's management is extremely poor, including their management of their dealers. Pat himself is part of that management. Management needs to be held accountable, or nothing will get better, and the brand may fail.
I think we are basically in agreement. However, my original comment was directly towards another poster, thus the reason why I quoted them. I was writing in generic terms, including all manufactures, with 2 examples from 2 companies that made it extremely hard on the customer with a lemon, and a third that made it extremely easy (actually even before it got to the Califronia legal definition of a lemon). The second paragraph of what I wrote, which you have latched onto, was still in in response to the poster I quoted, and was basically still regards to all manufactures and customers, not just McLaren.

To be McLaren specific: McLaren currently in my opinion falls into either the post sales bean counter mentality (try to make it so hard that overall costs out is less due to more people giving up than those getting judgements w/ additional penalties) or the ego mentality. The bean counter issue trying to make it hard to lemon a car is also further supported by the reports that they will resell most of those lemoned cars to another unsuspecting individual, knowing many of them have never had the issues fully resolved. Further support for after sales finance department taking precedent over customer service is the fact that they seem to be willing to try and void out entire car warranties here in the US for aftermarket exhausts and the like, with no evidence that the change had anything to do with the part that failed under warranty. Takes a lot of headache and/or legal action to get any results.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Agreed wholeheartedly. Suit was filed last week by my co-counsel FYI.

Good luck, and hope the process goes quick so that you get a quick resolution. I'm curious to see if McLaren keeps this simple, or if they do a lot of shenanigans trying to delay the case out as far as possible.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts