McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe it is because I have a 2013 with the upgrade,but as someone who has a 458 and several other sports cars, I would put the Mac spider right near the top.

Boring design, poor exhaust note? , etc--- are you kidding me?

This car is nuts. A great layout , crazy quickness, wild, superior paint (volcano red) and a car only in production 2 years????

Not sure where the negativity took root ( Top Gear moron?) but the Mac company deserves huge credit . :)

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
Tmb1, nice to see that you are discovering for yourself what many of us owners already know. :) I'm not sure how long you've been following McLaren's new venture, but some of us forum members have literally been here from the start and honestly, this is a golden era of Internet appreciation for McLaren compared to the copious amounts of bull's hat nonsense that we've read along the way. Granted, most of this crap is perpetuated by customers of other Marques that are justifiably fearful of a true competitor spoiling their ability to keep their car flipping scheme alive, but alas, I present to you the top 10 stupidest things said about McLaren on the Internet:

10 - The styling is bland.

9 - It sounds like crap.

8 - The carbon chassis is a gimmick.

7 - A 458 is faster.

6 - Ron Dennis is like John DeLorean.

5 - By year two, McLaren will be bankrupt.

4 - Nobody in the U.S. knows who McLaren is, so they won't sell any cars there.

3 - Nobody cares about having a super car that also has a great ride.

2 - Nobody cares about downforce.

and of course, the all-time número uno:

1 - It has no soul because it was conceived and assembled by automatons! :p

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As far as the styling it gets as many hawks as anything I own. I was prepared to hate the sound, until I drove it. Awesome note, which I actually like better than my 458 note-- when everyone was telling me the opposite .

·
Registered
499 Posts
I think the big difference is that Ferrari strives to appeal to what some consumers *think* a super car should be like. McLaren, to a fault, strives to build a great driver's car.

There's no convincing an "aspirational" driver. It is all about "look", "heritage, "sound"(?) and "soul", never about performance. When it comes to performance when it's in their favor it is important, when it goes against them "performance doesn't matter". Hypocrites maybe?

Most F-car drivers have never driven on a track. Heck, have you seen the Ferrari Challenge drivers? Reminds me of antique car racing. Compare to Porsche Cup drivers... Driver's Ed is in the house (just kidding for those of you who are actually good Challenge drivers).

I drive my 12c much more than my 458 because it is more focused, more precise, more streamlined for driving, and less distracting. It is a better drivers' car.

That said, I think Ferrari is at the top of their game as a car company. I do like the fact that they forge their own blocks. Who can claim that? That does speak to heritage. As "traditional" as it is, in terms of technology I am going to get an F12. (Only because I can't convince my wife that I really need a $1.2M P1... )

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
I think the big difference is that Ferrari strives to appeal to what some consumers *think* a super car should be like. McLaren, to a fault, strives to build a great driver's car.

There's no convincing an "aspirational" driver. It is all about "look", "heritage, "sound"(?) and "soul", never about performance. When it comes to performance when it's in their favor it is important, when it goes against them "performance doesn't matter". Hypocrites maybe?

Most F-car drivers have never driven on a track. Heck, have you seen the Ferrari Challenge drivers? Reminds me of antique car racing. Compare to Porsche Cup drivers... Driver's Ed is in the house (just kidding for those of you who are actually good Challenge drivers).

I drive my 12c much more than my 458 because it is more focused, more precise, more streamlined for driving, and less distracting. It is a better drivers' car.

That said, I think Ferrari is at the top of their game as a car company. I do like the fact that they forge their own blocks. Who can claim that? That does speak to heritage. As "traditional" as it is, in terms of technology I am going to get an F12. (Only because I can't convince my wife that I really need a $1.2M P1... )
I must say very well written Goplay, as for myself performance is numero uno, followed closely by looks. Which are the key reasons for my ownership of a Mac and its one hell of a beauty, if I may say so myself. Now I have had to make some slight modifications to appeal to my senses, of cour with the exception of the front end. Which is the reason for me having to change it as well the exhaust, I love it loud and fierce.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
I must say very well written Goplay, as for myself performance is numero uno, followed closely by looks. Which are the key reasons for my ownership of a Mac and its one hell of a beauty, if I may say so myself. Now I have had to make some slight modifications to appeal to my senses, of course with the exception of the front end. Which is the reason for me having to change it as well the exhaust, I love it loud and fierce.
Sorry I hit the send button with my fat fingers before I was finished, I made the correction noted above. Cheers....??

·
Registered
499 Posts
I must say very well written Goplay, as for myself performance is numero uno, followed closely by looks. Which are the key reasons for my ownership of a Mac and its one hell of a beauty, if I may say so myself. Now I have had to make some slight modifications to appeal to my senses, of cour with the exception of the front end. Which is the reason for me having to change it as well the exhaust, I love it loud and fierce.
Yeah, I am considering the MSO front bumper. It looks great but do I really want to spend $30K on car jewelry? :p

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Yeah, I am considering the MSO front bumper. It looks great but do I really want to spend $30K on car jewelry? :p
Sure Goplay why not it's the way the car should have looked from the get go. I'm just going to go one step further by adding the Vorsteiner side splitter to finish things off. You only live once, so you might as well enjoy it while you can. Cheers.....??

·
Registered
114 Posts

You have hit the nail on the head with this comment. How true.

·
Registered
367 Posts
People posting anticipated 'Ring times of 7:00 to 7:10 did not help the cause. Neither did teething problems, the plasticky engine bay, the LP700 bringing CFRP in the same time frame, or 458 hype, the latter though, easily dismissed!

I didn't like the exhaust note at first, but that was non-inconel, pre-upgrade.
Things take time. I wasn't there, but it's said Bob Dylan was boo'ed the first time he played an electric guitar on stage.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I personally think they delivered a product that wasn't fully developed. That was A HUGE mistake.:mad: If the British journalists got the 2013 MY V10.2 upgraded version as their "press car" then they wouldn't have much to whine about. I'm sure they would have found something BUT they wouldn't be able to get on the negative press band wagon like they all did. Anybody with half a brain wouldn't believe you if you said that the F458 is superior to the 12C from a performance standpoint.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I personally think they delivered a product that wasn't fully developed. That was A HUGE mistake.:mad: If the British journalists got the 2013 MY V10.2 upgraded version as their "press car" then they wouldn't have much to whine about. I'm sure they would have found something BUT they wouldn't be able to get on the negative press band wagon like they all did. Anybody with half a brain wouldn't believe you if you said that the F458 is superior to the 12C from a performance standpoint.
Yes, I completely agree with this. Most super car buyers are buying for the "show-off" factor. This is a function of what other people will think about their purchase. Press reviews specifically feed into this.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts