McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why is it so difficult to find anyone who sells touch up paint? I contacted Boston and Seattle both basically told me to pound salt. I wrote back asking if their body shop does paint repairs as a sarcastic reply. If someone has a line on a dealership that will assist it would be great thanks everyone.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
A number of people over the years have come onto the forums and have been looking for paint codes. It is generally third body auto repair shops, owners who don't want to go through the mclaren authorized body shops...

Maybe it's more important to know why they cannot give to you or unwilling to give to you. They have many agreements with Mclaren of what they can and cannot do (legal agreements).

Mclaren spends a considerable amount of money to develop the paint and people pay for that with the cost of their car and repairs to the paint, etc.

Maybe; it's better to wonder why they won't give it to you...

Reactions: Spr

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I ask why they wont sell it. Waiting for a reply. Seems unnecessary for me to drive the 6 hours one way for a rock chip...

·
Registered
199 Posts
A local dealer was able to get me a very small touch up for my Vega Blue 600LT. There was a small nick on the passenger side rear bumper area behind the wheel. I wanted it touched up and polished out as much as possible ahead of the PPF going on. Maybe its just the dealer or the amount but I asked and they got it for me. Not sure how they got it but it was a really small amount. Probably about a quarter of the typical touch up paint bottles you typically see online. You couldnt touch up more than a half dozen little nicks or rock chips with it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I need a standard 1 oz. bottle if I can find it. I think the previous owner either had a habit of hanging his arm out the window with a watch on or...several tiny chips in one spot and I'm just that anal about the car.
20210301_121058.jpg

·
Registered
181 Posts
Yep thats the Rolex scratch pattern. It seems like it would be reasonable to get a touch up applicator for these small marks but maybe they want to force you to repaint.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
@Mikespeed6
Have not used this myself but this site (which can be difficult to navigate for low sales volume cars) does indicate McLaren Orange touch up paint available.....
This is a photo of the page for McLaren 570S McLaren Orange.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've seen this. Skeptical of aftermarket stuff. You dont see the marks from 5 feet away. I may just have the panel reshot when the car has to go to the dealer. I bought a warranty that covers this kind of stuff so it may be covered.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So Boston did just get back to me said that they haven't got any in my color right now in small quantities but is willing to mix up a 1 liter can for $344.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Its a good thing McLaren can't dictate we buy gas from them, or we'd be paying $50 per gallon.
Yeah no kidding. Although I could understand if it was an MSO color or perhaps even a metallic but thats why I chose to avoid those so a repair could be made if needed.

·
Registered
460 Posts
mclaren is making themselves to be too special to what they are. Its paint, who cares. No other manufacturer is such a pain in the ass to get a paint code. Not lambo, not Ferrari, not RR, not Bentley, none. And all of them have crazy color setups.

·
Owner
810 Posts
Any good body shop that mixes their own paint and has an analyzer can match it. I needed to replace one of those lower front pieces (I have no idea what it's called) and my shop analyzed the color, mixed it and it is stone cold perfect McLaren Orange.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Any good body shop that mixes their own paint and has an analyzer can match it. I needed to replace one of those lower front pieces (I have no idea what it's called) and my shop analyzed the color, mixed it and it is stone cold perfect McLaren Orange.

View attachment 209750
Some colors are very difficult to match orange is not one of them. Even having correct paint codes will not ensure a perfect match to an untrained paint guy. Most any car thats had a single panel sprayed can be easily spotted no matter the color.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Why is it so difficult to find anyone who sells touch up paint? I contacted Boston and Seattle both basically told me to pound salt. I wrote back asking if their body shop does paint repairs as a sarcastic reply. If someone has a line on a dealership that will assist it would be great thanks everyone.
Let me add my endorsement of Dr. Colorchip. Disclaimer: I haven’t tried a McLaren paint color color (been lucky so far with no chips) but have had very good results on Porsche, Ferrari, Mercedes and other cars. Worth a shot. The painting technique is unusual but effective, and the nicest part is that you can easily remove the touch up for a few minutes after applying it if you don’t like the look.

·
Owner
810 Posts
Some colors are very difficult to match orange is not one of them. Even having correct paint codes will not ensure a perfect match to an untrained paint guy. Most any car thats had a single panel sprayed can be easily spotted no matter the color.
I guess I have a very good paint guy. I have seen this shop do some brilliant work with lots of different colors, including metallics. Actually orange is not easy to match.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I guess I have a very good paint guy. I have seen this shop do some brilliant work with lots of different colors, including metallics. Actually orange is not easy to match.
You're lucky then. I haven't found a shop yet that has a paint guy skilled enough to correct colors and flop to match factory/existing. I know they are out there I just live too far from the ones I would trust.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts