McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I just got home and picked up the car and took it for a spin.

Needless to say, the shifts feel super slow. I'm it in Active -> Manual -> T/T. I was cruising down the street at moderate speed/rpm, pulled the level... 1 second later it shifted.

Sometimes I just stared at the number waiting for it to change. And that was just one gear. I don't think I even managed to go up several gears. I thought maybe I was doing pre-cog and not pulling enough, but I definitely put some force into it. Are shifts only fast high in the revs? Can't I get a fast shift at like 4000 rpm?

Down shifts were super quick, but I just can't figure out how to get fast upshifts.

What am I doing wrong?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Sorry I can't be of help, as I'm awaiting delivery of my car, but...... can you explain to me this term "pre-cog"? I've seen it mentioned here a few times, and still unsure of what exactly it means.
Thanks... and hope you get it figured out soon!

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Noone, sounds like something off. The only time I do not get a fast gear change (in fact get no gear change) is when trying to upshift from 1st to 2nd and have my RPMs at less than 2k.

Otherwise it just shifts. I'm usually in N suspension and Sport/Manual on the power.

MacAttack. PRECOG is a manual preselection of a gear in one of the double clutches. So if you depress either of your paddles half way and hold it at the half way mark, but do not depress all the way, you have preselected that gear in one clutch, while the car is driving on the other clutch/gear. Then when you do depress the paddle the rest of the way, the gear will change much faster than normal.

Why would you do this. An easy example is you're accelerating from 30 to 60MPH, and you're in 4th gear. The automatic would normally be ready to shift UP into 5th, and would use the 2nd clutch to preload 5th. however, if you see that there is a guy driving next to you and you want to really put down the hammer and get by him, you could PRECOG down into 3rd gear, and instead of the auto picking the wrong gear (5th), you can have 3rd gear preloaded, then when you get up next to the car next to you, hit the paddle the rest of the way, and the gear will shift much faster into 3rd because it's already preloaded.

Hope that made sense.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Noone, sounds like something off. The only time I do not get a fast gear change (in fact get no gear change) is when trying to upshift from 1st to 2nd and have my RPMs at less than 2k.

Otherwise it just shifts. I'm usually in N suspension and Sport/Manual on the power.

MacAttack. PRECOG is a manual preselection of a gear in one of the double clutches. So if you depress either of your paddles half way and hold it at the half way mark, but do not depress all the way, you have preselected that gear in one clutch, while the car is driving on the other clutch/gear. Then when you do depress the paddle the rest of the way, the gear will change much faster than normal.

Why would you do this. An easy example is you're accelerating from 30 to 60MPH, and you're in 4th gear. The automatic would normally be ready to shift UP into 5th, and would use the 2nd clutch to preload 5th. however, if you see that there is a guy driving next to you and you want to really put down the hammer and get by him, you could PRECOG down into 3rd gear, and instead of the auto picking the wrong gear (5th), you can have 3rd gear preloaded, then when you get up next to the car next to you, hit the paddle the rest of the way, and the gear will shift much faster into 3rd because it's already preloaded.

Hope that made sense.
Hmm.. thanks for the explanation. Sounds confusing though! :confused:
Can I just select the sport or track setting to have the pedal to the metal available at all times?? :D

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, I'm going to record a video tomorrow and I'll post it.

So you're saying that if you're at, say, 40mph in 2nd, you could shift up to 5th super fast with three clicks of the paddle in T/T, manual mode?

I'm going to be so damn pissed off if this car has a problem. I've already come home to find the car not as described as when I bought it, cosmetically, and I will be livid if there is a transmission problem. Absolutely livid.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Hi Noone1. Unfortunately I'm traveling and won't have access to my car till next week. But I don't recall any lag, and recall that it shifts pretty crazy fast; the limitation seems to be how fast I smack the paddles.

Hopefully someone can confirm the above in your scenario before then, but if not I'll try and grab a video as well.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts

So you're saying that if you're at, say, 40mph in 2nd, you could shift up to 5th super fast with three clicks of the paddle in T/T, manual mode?

I'm going to be so damn pissed off if this car has a problem. I've already come home to find the car not as described as when I bought it, cosmetically, and I will be livid if there is a transmission problem. Absolutely livid.
Where did you buy it? Have the dealer take a look at it cause this doesn't seem normal at all

·
Registered
359 Posts
It only shifts fast if I use precog every time, which is kind of annoying. I feel like I can shift faster with a manual, which makes me think I'm doing something wrong.

I clicked it like 10 times in a row and only got up 3 gears.
Have you got one of the new 11 speed 12C's? :rolleyes:

Joking aside, you can't precog multiple gears. Precog is simply allowing you to tell the car what the next gear will be, this only works for one gear up or down. If you are asking for 3 or 4 gears up or down there is every chance that in a manual car you will complete the change much faster since you will shift in a non sequential fashion. Can't really think of a situation where you would want 3 or 4 gears up the box - maybe 2 or 3 down for an overtake? (4 gears is a large rev range to cover)

What you really need is a non sequential paddle system to achieve the fastest possible multiple changes - oops wrong forum to discuss. :D

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Are all 7 gears available in manual mode?
Even in manual mode it won't let you pick seventh if you're going too slow, anything less than around 45 mph-ish

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
My '13 Spider doesn't have a half-way detent, so no pre-cog, right?
You don't need the "half-way detent" to pre-cog with the newer paddles. Just pull very lightly, hold for a second, then pull the rest of the way. It is certainly tougher since the newer / lighter paddles do not need to be pulled very far to get the "click", but I can do it on my car. Tought a friend of mine, who does not own a 12C how to do it, he learned in about 5 minutes. Seems to work best from 2nd gear on up. Pre-cogging from 1st to 2nd with the newer paddles with light throttle input does not seem to work.

If you pull all the way, then you are correct, shift speed depends on the powertrain setting, but most of all, depends on throttle input %.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Have you got one of the new 11 speed 12C's? :rolleyes:

Joking aside, you can't precog multiple gears. Precog is simply allowing you to tell the car what the next gear will be, this only works for one gear up or down. If you are asking for 3 or 4 gears up or down there is every chance that in a manual car you will complete the change much faster since you will shift in a non sequential fashion. Can't really think of a situation where you would want 3 or 4 gears up the box - maybe 2 or 3 down for an overtake? (4 gears is a large rev range to cover)

What you really need is a non sequential paddle system to achieve the fastest possible multiple changes - oops wrong forum to discuss. :D
Yeah, but I'm not trying to precog anything. I can shift down 3 gears way faster than I can shift up three gears.

I can hit like 70 mph in probably 2nd gear, so of course I want to be able to switch up several gears rather quickly.

·
Registered
123 Posts

No, you can't shift really fast up a few gears. I find myself continually clicking up until I get to the gear that I want sometimes, because it is delayed. So for a better example (because you can't hit 7th until 48/49mph), if you're at 50mph in 2nd, and pull the right paddle a few times within 1 second, you'll go into 3rd, then the transmission has to select the next gear and it'll take .5-1 second or so, and if you keep pulling the right paddle it'll then grab 4th, and then after the same delay and continuous pulling, you'll then get 5th, and so on, up til 7th.

I didn't try multiple paddle grabs when I drove a 458 the other week, but it's something that I've just gotten used to.

Honestly, I *really* love the car, but even if the manual transmission is a bit slower, I'd still love to be able to shift manually and sacrifice a bit of speed. I know that I'd always get the gear that I want when I want it. I've mostly come to terms with the fact that I won't have that luxury in a lot of cars in the future, but while I still can, you can bet your ass that I'll be driving as many traditional manual transmissions as I can. I wonder how some of the nicer modern cars with those boxes will appreciate in the future, once they go the way of the dodo... the R8 V10 Plus with that beautiful gated shifter comes to mind. Pretty sure that the next generation R8 will be turbocharged and only offer the S-Tronic, and to me, that's a damn shame.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I think you guys are Driving Ms. Daisy. My car shifts up and down astonishingly fast and I typically use the Sport/Sport manual setting. Unless in auto mode, however, I rarely shift to higher gears below 5000 RPM. I'm not sure why anyone would shift up three gears all at once anyway. What is the point? I also don't tow boats with the 12C, so maybe it sucks at that too.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Everyone drives differently... the times when I want to go up a few gears at once is when I'm on a highway ramp for example, have some fun in 1st, 2nd and 3rd to get up to the speed that I want to, and then I want to be in 7th to cruise and not stress the engine. That almost always has me pulling the paddle repeatedly until it finally goes up the last 4 gears; if I was driving a manual transmission in a different car, I'd just pop into 6th (or 7th if it was a new 911 I suppose! :) at that point, which isn't possible.

Like I said, I'm not really complaining about that because it is what it is, and there are other big advantages to the seamless shift gearbox, but my personal preference, if I had the option in the 12c, would be to have a normal manual transmission. That doesn't apply to just the 12c -- I'd opt for the same in a 458, a GTR, etc, any of the plethora of cars which no longer offer manual transmissions. I can't, so I shut up about it, and enjoy the hell out of the car every time I get behind the wheel (and even when I just look at it :)

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Everyone drives differently... the times when I want to go up a few gears at once is when I'm on a highway ramp for example, have some fun in 1st, 2nd and 3rd to get up to the speed that I want to, and then I want to be in 7th to cruise and not stress the engine. That almost always has me pulling the paddle repeatedly until it finally goes up the last 4 gears; if I was driving a manual transmission in a different car, I'd just pop into 6th (or 7th if it was a new 911 I suppose! :) at that point, which isn't possible.
This is an interesting topic in that, this could be fixed via software. If the driver up/down shifts impossibly fast, in series, couldn't the car interpret that as a non-sequential up/downshift and go straight from 2nd to 6th, or from 6th straight to 2nd?

I cannot think of a single time when I multi-flip the paddle, within 250ms, when I actually want to hit the intermediate gears.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts