McLaren Life banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
McLaren Fanatic
3,071 Posts
What are you amazed by - it's about 13.2% which is fairly standard.

>8^)
ER

·
McLaren Fanatic
3,071 Posts
The standard rule people throw around is 15%. That's not really a valid number for every car, but probably close to the average. The figure actually changes through the RPM range too so while this 12C might have measured 13.2% at peak power, the losses were probably higher than that at lower RPMs.

Here's a good article discussing the topic in greater detail:

http://www.modified.com/tech/modp-1005-drivetrain-power-loss/viewall.html

>8^)
ER

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
So 535whp after 10.2 with the best TC in the buisness,no wonder its the best accelerating rwd in production form :D

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
So 535whp after 10.2 with the best TC in the buisness,no wonder its the best accelerating rwd in production form :D

Andy, that's an interesting comment. Why do you think the TC is good and the best?

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Andy, that's an interesting comment. Why do you think the TC is good and the best?
Because of the uninterupted rate of accelaration in the dry,almost as good as an awd supercar,there is only so much power any car can put down through 2 wheels and the 12c seems to do it sublimly,certainly better than any other ive tried without an obvious cut off of power,although there is more slip in platform 10.2,im not sure if thats deliberate as the torque hasnt increased.

·
Registered
424 Posts
The 91 octane gas quoted is the AKI, which is the rating North America uses, and yes it translate to around 95-96 RON in European terms.

And I echo Andy's traction control comment, the 12C does have the best traction control in the whole industry right now. I have a Turbo S and I am used to the awd traction on damp surfaces, the 12C just puts down the max power the road can handle without any noticeable power cut, almost like the car knows how much power the road can handle and produce just enough and making the variation on the fly. It is unreal how hard it can accelerate from stop on wet and damp pavements. A 458 on the same surface alternate between stationary and forward momentum, I have seen it first hand as I followed it in my 12C on the same stop sign.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Judging from the dyno tests I've seen it seems like McLaren may be understating the torque figures for the MP4. Pre-upgrade dyno usually put out 515-520hp and 415-425 lbft of torque.

Adjusting for losses that puts torque in the 475-485lbft range at the crank! And if you adjust for the gearing of the MP4s higher RPM range that's midrange torque figures like a big American V8 ZR1 or V10 SRT Viper... I guess that's what Chris Harris talks about when he says it "pulls everywhere" :cool:

·
Registered
98 Posts
btw, for comparision customer spec Ferrari 458s only put out 450-470 hp on dynos... a car claiming 560-570 crank hp should be putting out 490-500rwhp.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts