McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at buying a set of rims for my car white with black roof and super light weight rims. The question is who makes the lightest, best and stands behind there product. The two most prominent brands that I've owned are Fiske, and HRE, and currently looking at ADV.1. Now with so many manufactures out there it's a tough decision on who to go with. So this is where you guys and gals come into the picture, I've come to the conclusion that the members of this forum are extremely knowledgable. Now don't let it go to your heads, and that's only my impression and I think I'm a pretty good judge of character etc. All of your input would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.... From the great white north.

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
I'm looking at buying a set of rims for my car white with black roof and super light weight rims. The question is who makes the lightest, best and stands behind there product. The two most prominent brands that I've owned are Fiske, and HRE, and currently looking at ADV.1. Now with so many manufactures out there it's a tough decision on who to go with. So this is where you guys and gals come into the picture, I've come to the conclusion that the members of this forum are extremely knowledgable. Now don't let it go to your heads, and that's only my impression and I think I'm a pretty good judge of character etc. All of your input would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.... From the great white north.
Best guy to ask will be wheelb,who has tried a few,as he owns his own wheel shop in miami i think.

·
MmmmcLaren
1,375 Posts
Lots of those boutique "forged" alloy after-market wheels (ie. HRE, iForged, Fikse, etc) are quite heavy (relatively speaking), especially in the MP4-12C application sizes [(F / R) 8.5" x 19" / 11" x 20].

If/when I have one in my stable, it's gonna get some BBS F1s if I'm compelled to go after-market for rims.

·
Registered
218 Posts
If/when I have one in my stable, it's gonna get some BBS F1s if I'm compelled to go after-market for rims.
i agree with you completely. but i don't think they make it for the McLaren. if you look at BBS Japan, they have the BBS RI-D, a similar looking wheel to the BBS FI, but it's even lighter and made out of Duralumin. that's the wheel i want to get but it's only available for the GTR, ISf, 911 and 1M/M3.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Lots of those boutique "forged" alloy after-market wheels (ie. HRE, iForged, Fikse, etc) are quite heavy (relatively speaking), especially in the MP4-12C application sizes [(F / R) 8.5" x 19" / 11" x 20].

Actually my HRE are lighter than the oem forged wheels 19 came in and 19.9 lbs and rear 23 lbs P44SC :)

And supposedly BBS japan is in a lot of financial trouble so might see BBS file for i think 4th ( i stopped counting with them LOL )bankruptcy very soon . hope not but sure seems like it

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm looking for the lightest possible rims that also look great and I'm not talking about HRE Carbon. Cheers....

·
Registered
71 Posts
I purchased a second set of wheels for the track and stayed with OEM. Not sure what after market rims with different offsets will do to the handling???

·
Banned
111 Posts
hi just keep the super light weight alloys they machined from billet just like HRE and other brands and each rim takes 5 Hours to mill on a 5 axis cnc machine. you wont notice any difference with new wheels on! and if there like the white car on here with 20" HRE wheels a waste of money really, as it wont drive as good and you need to buy new tyres also and also bigger so weighs more.

see a video of a Aston Martin light weight rim being milled on a 5 axis cnc machine

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyAuW6fxdic[/URL]

·
Registered
21 Posts
i just put on the new Cor forged 1 piece wheels with super sport michelins and the car rides better than stock IMO.
I would be careful with Cor. All rims can break but they didn't seem to stand behind their product. I would stick with manufacturers that are TUV certified like BBS or Rays. As far as "boutique" wheels I believe HRE has some stage of TUV certification. Most people seems to agree that the Pilot Super Sport are great all around high performance tires.

GTR Forum - New Cor 4-Piece Wheels ***WARNING***

·
Registered
71 Posts
I would be careful with Cor. All rims can break but they didn't seem to stand behind their product. I would stick with manufacturers that are TUV certified like BBS or Rays. As far as "boutique" wheels I believe HRE has some stage of TUV certification. Most people seems to agree that the Pilot Super Sport are great all around high performance tires.

GTR Forum - New Cor 4-Piece Wheels ***WARNING***

Great Info. Thank you for posting!!!

·
Registered
560 Posts
Cor had an issue, HRE had an issue, and ADV had an issue.
out of thousands and thousands of wheels sold, you have to look at how many times somthing like this occurs. you also have to remember there are always 2 sides to the story. rumor has it those wheels on the camaro were taken apart and painted by a 3rd party. so im sure the truth will come out.
most of these big wheel manufactures have the wheels forged at the same factory lol
im on my 10th set and never had a issue TG

·
Registered
21 Posts
You are correct, each of those manufactures have had an issue and I believe Cor and a few others uses the same blanks. According to the what was stated in the forum it was painted by a 3rd party. The issue is that it was sent back to Cor to be analysed and they came back with "our warranty doesn't cover HPDE", and change the wording on their website to the state so. If the paint or paint process some how degraded the structure of the wheel I would image that Cor would have came out with info to that fact. So far they have been very silent as far as I know. I don't have a dog in the race, just wanted to share info.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Guys 1 thing is for sure HRE and cor there is no comparison and no they don't have same forging . Im Largest dealer in the world for HRE and I'm in the business and wont sell Untested brands hence why we don't sell certain brands for these reason . All i can tell people do research before buying wheel they are cheap price for a reason they can claim anything they like and with zero hard evidence . Its funny seeing people actually down grade their car not knowing and beliveing stories . HRE is TUV for a reason. And if you truly know what that means comparing and saying they all buy same product is funny and couldn't be more far from the truth. Just think if your buying wheels you shouldn't have to be told a story to validate the quality of the wheels lol should be know Hence TUV !

·
Registered
282 Posts
Tuv testing for wheels are vehicle specific... So you are saying hre had its wheels tested through Tuv specifically for the mclaren? If so, which models? Because each model and size would have to be tested as well... I would love to see a complete list of vehicles and models of wheels they tested through Tuv. That would really put a lot of people's mind at ease.:)

·
Registered
560 Posts
if you run a search on HRE, you will see that they had some issues as well.
dont get me wrong, i would run Cor, ADV, and HRE on all my cars. the number of wheels that are sold compared to the numbers of issues is minimal. (but they have all had issues at one time or another)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts