McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just placed an order for a Spider 12C and have a few questions concerning the wheels.
I live in Quebec city, a very snowy area in the winter. I've ordered a set of winter wheels and also an extra set of Super Light wheels with Pirelli Corsa tires for the few times that I'll take it to the track.

My questions are regarding changing the wheels from one set to the next.

-Any of you guys do it by yourself?

-If so what tools do you use? The mechanic that was at the McLaren shop during my visit mentioned a torque wrench for a 96 ft-pound torque force to be applied to the wheel nut. Do you do it with a manual wrench or is there an electric tool that can do the job safely and properly?

-If you drive the car to the track, do you put on the track wheel set before you drive the 12C to the track or do you somehow get the wheels to the track and have them changed once you arrive there?

-Concerning the track tires, the McLaren rep mentioned something about Trofeo tires being amazing. Has anyone used them and should I upgrade to this tire instead of the Corsa tires?

Sorry if it sounds noobish, but this will be my first foray into the high performance car universe :confused:

Thanks for the help and any suggestions you guys might have. :D

·
Registered
367 Posts
96lb is reachable with a manual torque wrench, maybe $50

How to lift the car yourself, I don't know. My winter wheel change will be done by the dealer.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Its best to change the wheels before going to the track as the car is so low a manual jack is hard to find low enough,so a lift is the best option. For the rare occasions when i have had to take off a wheel i had to drive onto a wood block to get the jack under.As for winter wheels just get your dealership to change them.For a small fee many will store your wheels for you.:)

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
96lb is reachable with a manual torque wrench, maybe $50

How to lift the car yourself, I don't know. My winter wheel change will be done by the dealer.

Enjoy!
Thanks for the info, wasn't sure how much force you need to get 96lbs.

For the winter wheels, I will definitely get my Jag dealer to do it, too easy for them, not so for me.

I was just wondering about the track set of wheels.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its best to change the wheels before going to the track as the car is so low a manual jack is hard to find low enough,so a lift is the best option. For the rare occasions when i have had to take off a wheel i had to drive onto a wood block to get the jack under.As for winter wheels just get your dealership to change them.For a small fee many will store your wheels for you.:)
Very useful info you provided there andy c. Thanks a lot. I didn't realize that you couldn't get a jack under without the wood blocks. I guess it would have become obvious when I would have tried it.

Good idea about the storage of the wheels, my dealer already stores them for my Jag for a small fee. I'm sure they won't mind doing the same for the 12C wheels.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Feel free to share your spec.

Go with the Trofeo's if you want the best track tire.
Thanks for the info Champagne. I'll call my rep to try to get those tires from them.

2014 Volcano Red 12C Spider
Sports Exhaust
Stealth Pack
Full Leather Interior -Arabica brown
Colour Coordinated Steering Wheel
Electric & Heated Memory Seats
Lightweight Diamond cut Forged wheels
Carbon Ceramic Brakes
Polished Brake Calipers
IRIS upgrade w Satellite Nav & Meridian Surround Sound
Parking sensors
Vehicle lifter
Additional Super-Lightweight Diamond cut Forged wheels w Corsa tires (TBA Trofeo)
Additional Wheels w Winter Tires
Stone Guard Protection

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
Thanks for the info Champagne. I'll call my rep to try to get those tires from them.

Volcano Red 12C Spider
Sports Exhaust
Stealth Pack
Full Leather Interior -Arabica brown
Colour Coordinated Steering Wheel
Electric & Heated Memory Seats
Lightweight Diamond cut Forged wheels
Carbon Ceramic Brakes
Polished Brake Calipers
IRIS upgrade w Satellite Nav & Meridian Surround Sound
Parking sensors
Vehicle lifter
Additional Super-Lightweight Diamond cut Forged wheels w Corsa tires (TBA Trofeo)
Additional Wheels w Winter Tires
Stone Guard Protection
Very well done!

Polished brake calipers - I assume silver?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Champagne.

They are actually polished metal. I was told that they are only available if you get the Carbon Ceramic Brakes.
They look absolutely fabulous.

I couldn't find a pic online of these but I've spotted them in this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVGlqjCufMY&feature=em-subs_digest-vrecs

Jump to time 24:31 where you can see them mounted on the red car.

·
Registered
289 Posts
T
They are actually polished metal. I was told that they are only available if you get the Carbon Ceramic Brakes.
They look absolutely fabulous.
Chrome silver finish calipers look awesome on Volcano Red 12Cs;)

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Chrome silver finish calipers look awesome on Volcano Red 12Cs;)
That's the correct description: chrome! They called them polished at the McLaren shop.
I was lucky that one of their cars had them installed otherwise I wouldn't have realized how good they look.

I'll post a pic when I get the car, in an eternity (August actually)

·
Registered
289 Posts
Here is an awesome picture of your spec taken from teamspeed;)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Here is an awesome picture of your spec taken from teamspeed;)
Please do not order those "flower" petal wheels. Order the ultra superlight. Looks much better on the Spider. But it is your car and your choice.

The chromed calipers are a spendy option. Sir Mix a Lot has them on his up in this area.

As for switching wheels, I would not drive my 12C in the winter, but if you want a set for the track, then just use any good tire shop. I stop by Discount Tire every year and swap out our Panamera Turbo's wheels and tires to our winter set. Costs less than $100. My time is worth more than that.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Very useful info you provided there andy c. Thanks a lot. I didn't realize that you couldn't get a jack under without the wood blocks. I guess it would have become obvious when I would have tried it.

Good idea about the storage of the wheels, my dealer already stores them for my Jag for a small fee. I'm sure they won't mind doing the same for the 12C wheels.

Depends on what jack you have. I have a low pickup jack, under 3in clearance that I used at home for tire changes.

Seeing you are from Canada here is the link to your local store :)

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4/Auto/AutoTools/LiftingEquipment/PRDOVR~1995917P/Michelin+2-ton+Low+Profile+High-Lift+Service+Jack.jsp?locale=en

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Sorry Michel, j'ai complètement oublié que t'habite dans la belle province de Québec. So forget my suggestion of Princess Auto Whoopsy was correct in recommending CTR they are located all over Canada, including QC. Salut Michel a la prochaine chicane. ?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts