McLaren Life banner

What's your net worth (denominated roughly in USD (k in 1000s, M in 1,000,000s and B in 3 commas!))?

• 0-499k

• 500k-999k

• 1M-1.999M

• 2M-4.999M

• 5M-9.999M

• 10M-19.999M

• 20M-49.999M

• 50M-99.999M

• 100M-199M

• 200M-499M

• 500M-999M

• 1B-1.999B (3 commas baby!)

• 2B-4.999B

• 5B-9.999B

• 10B-19.999B

• 20B-49.999B

• 50B-99.999B

• 100+B (so you're Elon Musk, Bezos, Gates, etc.)

201 - 220 of 256 Posts

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
It is not right to tar everyone with the same brush because everyone comes from a different environment and has different opportunities in life. Most rich people had way more possibilities to become rich than others. They usually have rich parents who give them good education and their first money. They at least have a parent who doesn’t need their constant support.
Dude, most people on these forums are self made. Hell, every rich person I know is self made. At most they had public school education and a decent pubic school college. No ivy league shit. No trust funds. They weren't poor, but all very middle class.

I think you'll find rich kids aren't that common on message boards because rich kids often grow up with exotics, and thus don't find them terribly exotic or special in the first place.

2012 MP4-12C
2,949 Posts
I think you'll find rich kids aren't that common on message boards because rich kids often grow up with exotics, and thus don't find them terribly exotic or special in the first place.
People don't post here because they find McLarens to be exotic. The rich kids don't post on forums because they're antiquated and they can't monitor their follower count, which is what matters to them.

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
We should generally not put people into a scheme, prejudices are never good. No matter if born rich or became rich through work or not rich at all...
That's true of individuals, but the statistics are pretty clear for the group as a whole, wealth is preserved through inheritance. Not sure about Switzerland, but social mobility has been in steady decline in the US, and it now ranks well down the international league tables for social mobility.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Not a single wealthy person I know inherited their money. Not one.
I know a few, but technically not "inherited" yet because their parents are still alive. Their parents are/were self "made" all immigrants. But their kids wont "have" to work. Just manage the assets if they want.

Still good people, and not like the stereotypical a$$h4ts....

·
Registered
67 Posts
People don't post here because they find McLarens to be exotic. The rich kids don't post on forums because they're antiquated and they can't monitor their follower count, which is what matters to them.
I disagree. Every "rich kid" I know that has had the silver spoon in their mouth is far from antiquated and generally are on media platforms such as this. I hear and see it all the time when I attend rallies and or car shows. I've been asked multiple times "are you on mclaren life man?" "That forum is hard I'm on there"- and the ones saying this do not have mac's.

2012 MP4-12C
2,949 Posts
I disagree. Every "rich kid" I know that has had the silver spoon in their mouth is far from antiquated and generally are on media platforms such as this. I hear and see it all the time when I attend rallies and or car shows. I've been asked multiple times "are you on mclaren life man?" "That forum is hard I'm on there"- and the ones saying this do not have mac's.
And where are their posts? Having an account alone doesn't count as posting.

·
2012 MP4-12C
9,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #211 ·
I know a few, but technically not "inherited" yet because their parents are still alive. Their parents are/were self "made" all immigrants. But their kids wont "have" to work. Just manage the assets if they want.

Still good people, and not like the stereotypical a$$h4ts....
I'm always SUPER impressed when parents do a good job these days. Frankly few do IMO. And particularly well off parents that I know tend to produce s*** human beings. So the few that do a great job while being rich, I'm extra impressed with those that do manage to instill hunger to be productive. To do something. To build something of their own. Even though they dont have to.

I know one family that went so far as 'faking' being middle class with their kids, growing up in a modest home, living a modest life, until the kids were decently grown, to instill that 'strive' in their kids. So the kids did not know. Talking to them, they spoke of another friend we have, great guy, but he gives his kids EVERYTHING (he grew up super poor). They not only want for nothing, he just gets them things before they even express a want for it. They literally want for nearly nothing because of it, and they remarked, they didnt want that for their kids. They wanted their kids to develop thirsts, and strive to attain them. To build that part of their character. Seems touch extreme, but I get where they come from, and interestingly, they have really good kids.

Anyway, some wealthy folks really master the 'standing on the shoulders of giants' mentality with their kids, and motivate their kids to be better than they are. Pretty rare in my experience, so I'm always very impressed whenever I do see that.

To me, making kids that are better and happier than you are, that is the highest achievement for a person.

And it's weirdly very difficult for very successful people to pull off, from my experience and observations. Of course my sample is warped because of the types of self selecting circles I run in, so I wonder what the overall rates are for wealthy people managing to put out kids that are as, good, if not more productive as their wealthy parents.

·
Registered
67 Posts
And where are their posts? Having an account alone doesn't count as posting.
I have no idea- I don't post much and or on any social media platforms. I'm just going off of what I am hearing at car shows and what these kids are saying to me and other McLaren owners/friends.
I say rich kids because I've heard numerous times from guys that once they get their inheritance, or graduation gift etc etc- they will get their mclaren or whatever exotic they like to have.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
I'm always SUPER impressed when parents do a good job these days. Frankly few do IMO. And particularly well off parents that I know tend to produce s*** human beings. So the few that do a great job while being rich, I'm extra impressed with those that do manage to instill hunger to be productive. To do something. To build something of their own. Even though they dont have to.

I know one family that went so far as 'faking' being middle class with their kids, growing up in a modest home, living a modest life, until the kids were decently grown, to instill that 'strive' in their kids. So the kids did not know. Talking to them, they spoke of another friend we have, great guy, but he gives his kids EVERYTHING (he grew up super poor). They not only want for nothing, he just gets them things before they even express a want for it. They literally want for nearly nothing because of it, and they remarked, they didnt want that for their kids. They wanted their kids to develop thirsts, and strive to attain them. To build that part of their character. Seems touch extreme, but I get where they come from, and interestingly, they have really good kids.

Anyway, some wealthy folks really master the 'standing on the shoulders of giants' mentality with their kids, and motivate their kids to be better than they are. Pretty rare in my experience, so I'm always very impressed whenever I do see that.

To me, making kids that are better and happier than you are, that is the highest achievement for a person.

And it's weirdly very difficult for very successful people to pull off, from my experience and observations. Of course my sample is warped because of the types of self selecting circles I run in, so I wonder what the overall rates are for wealthy people managing to put out kids that are as, good, if not more productive as their wealthy parents.
Very philosophically put.... Better may not necessarily mean more wealthy also. I struggle with the same concepts with my kid, but shes 4 so I got a long ways to go.

·
2012 MP4-12C
9,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #214 ·
Very philosophically put.... Better may not necessarily mean more wealthy also. I struggle with the same concepts with my kid, but shes 4 so I got a long ways to go.
Agree. It's not necessarily about the money. Just strive to accomplish something good and productive. Mother Theresa (apparently had many issues) but she was pretty productive, and not that wealthy, but seemed to have lived a life worth living.

Of course, reasonable people may disagree and have other goals/characteristics they value more. And nothing wrong if they want to build more wealth too. Just depends on your point of view.

As always, YMMV.

·
2012 MP4-12C
9,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #216 ·
lets get some more votes on this thing!
Well adding to this poll at this point would be mixing 2021 money with 2022 money (which may be pretty different), so in our somewhat annual tradition, and just because it might be fun, I started a new updated 2022 net worth poll here:

2012 MP4-12C
2,949 Posts
I have no idea- I don't post much and or on any social media platforms. I'm just going off of what I am hearing at car shows and what these kids are saying to me and other McLaren owners/friends.
I say rich kids because I've heard numerous times from guys that once they get their inheritance, or graduation gift etc etc- they will get their mclaren or whatever exotic they like to have.
That's because they had to register to read posts for a while, that isn't the case anymore. They don't post, just wanted to read something.

·
Registered
185 Posts
lets get some more votes on this thing!
Ok, ok. It's interesting to note that the peak of the (sorta) bell curve is 2-5 mil. That's about 10x the price of the car. All the 0-499k voters probably don't own one yet (I sure hope they're not wasting their emerging wealth on a toy!). The two trillionaires are almost certainly fake. I wonder who the claimed Billionaire is?

Anything interesting to make of this? Except maybe the world is real and most owners are rational? The poll didn't ask if you actually owned one, though...

·
2012 MP4-12C
9,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #219 ·
Ok, ok. It's interesting to note that the peak of the (sorta) bell curve is 2-5 mil. That's about 10x the price of the car. All the 0-499k voters probably don't own one yet (I sure hope they're not wasting their emerging wealth on a toy!). The two trillionaires are almost certainly fake. I wonder who the claimed Billionaire is?

Anything interesting to make of this? Except maybe the world is real and most owners are rational? The poll didn't ask if you actually owned one, though...
I do not know who the person is that voted for that billionaire spot. But I do know we have at least one member here that is a founder of a very famous and awesome game company.

I think you might be wrong about the 0-499k voters. First, people lease and buy used, and with lower end 12Cs selling under 100k at times, this becomes attainable. Second, there is the concept of HENRYs (High Earners Not Rich Yet) that can afford the payments, but have not established a high net worth yet. But yea, some may not have a car too.

2012 MP4-12C
2,949 Posts
I do not know who the person is that voted for that billionaire spot. But I do know we have at least one member here that is a founder of a very famous and awesome game company.

I think you might be wrong about the 0-499k voters. First, people lease and buy used, and with lower end 12Cs selling under 100k at times, this becomes attainable. Second, there is the concept of HENRYs (High Earners Not Rich Yet) that can afford the payments, but have not established a high net worth yet. But yea, some may not have a car too.
I'd say a strong number of owners under 40 fit into the HENRY category. There are a few billionaires floating around here, and majority lurkers.

201 - 220 of 256 Posts