McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
2012 MP4-12C
8,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got a couple of interesting offers on well equipped spider and coupe. I'm trying to figure out what is a good deal right now.

Both new 2020 performance models. Similarly equipped. Gorilla glass coupe, electro-glass spider. Electric seats. Sports exhaust. Upgraded stereo. 360 cameras. MSO paddles. Spider has electric steering column but coupe has super light wheel rims (so basically almost same).

Coupe sticker 365 for 280. Spider 376 for 320. Wondering if people are scoring better deals right now.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
So I got a couple of interesting offers on well equipped spider and coupe. I'm trying to figure out what is a good deal right now.

Both new 2020 performance models. Similarly equipped. Gorilla glass coupe, electro-glass spider. Electric seats. Sports exhaust. Upgraded stereo. 360 cameras. MSO paddles. Spider has electric steering column but coupe has super light wheel rims (so basically almost same).

Coupe sticker 365 for 280. Spider 376 for 320. Wondering if people are scoring better deals right now.
are they both new or only low milage ? coupe seems good - not long ago that was what one would pay for a used one with 5k miles ... I guess they both don't have too much cf at this price level ?

·
2012 MP4-12C
8,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
are they both new or only low milage ? coupe seems good - not long ago that was what one would pay for a used one with 5k miles ... I guess they both don't have too much cf at this price level ?
they are both brand new. Cf is whatever comes with the performance package. I think they also have mso satin carbon silk. I personally don’t care about aesthetic carbon.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
they are both brand new. Cf is whatever comes with the performance package. I think they also have mso satin carbon silk. I personally don’t care about aesthetic carbon.
Don't think an official McLaren dealer (I guess it is one, right ?) will give you much more than 22% on a new car - that looks like a good deal to me and more like Covid19 pricing to get the car off the lot and maybe hit sales numbers ... the spider at 15% seems to be more or less in line with what one can read at various places ... if you don't want to drive open and the coupe has a nice color I would say you won't find a much better deal on a new one (numbers will also get smaller as McLaren will certainly not produce a lot of 720s coupes in 2020 and 2021) and you certainly limit you depreciation risk (guess you intend to drive it for longer - same as your current car, right ?)

·
Registered
65 Posts
I’m in a pretty different market (middle east) but an MSO spec coupe with 10K KM was sold a couple of days ago to a showroom for $175K, showroom sold it then for $195K.

·
2012 MP4-12C
8,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don't think an official McLaren dealer (I guess it is one, right ?) will give you much more than 22% on a new car - that looks like a good deal to me and more like Covid19 pricing to get the car off the lot and maybe hit sales numbers ... the spider at 15% seems to be more or less in line with what one can read at various places ... if you don't want to drive open and the coupe has a nice color I would say you won't find a much better deal on a new one (numbers will also get smaller as McLaren will certainly not produce a lot of 720s coupes in 2020 and 2021) and you certainly limit you depreciation risk (guess you intend to drive it for longer - same as your current car, right ?)
yea I tend to hold for a long time. I generally prefer coupes. And the extra hatch space is a plus. The one thing I really like about the spider is the electro-glass roof. It’s just way more open feeling. The color for both are nice.

but thanks, so the coupe seems a good deal, and the spider meh.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
I’m in a pretty different market (middle east) but an MSO spec coupe with 10K KM was sold a couple of days ago to a showroom for $175K, showroom sold it then for $195K.
yes but that is used, and used cars in Arab countries have even bigger discounts than in most other markets - many say its bc of the sand and additional wear (not sure if that is really the reason???) thats why all used car dealers try to import them to EU again - you will never find used cars as cheap as in most Arab countries in EU or UK under normal market conditions (also a bit of a tax thing) but mainly a bit oversupply and vanity by many ppl who will only consider new cars if available ...

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
yea I tend to hold for a long time. I generally prefer coupes. And the extra hatch space is a plus. The one thing I really like about the spider is the electro-glass roof. It’s just way more open feeling. The color for both are nice.

but thanks, so the coupe seems a good deal, and the spider meh.

drove my 720s coupe today - its very airy and roomy anyway, much more than any other sports car I can think of - roof up the spider has less space and feels a bit tighter bc you lose the cabin space behind the seats and glass canopy there ... if you prefer coupes I also like the form more and think it has slight edge design wise over the spider ...

Did you sit in both or made a test drive ? I find the coupe doors much nicer to get into the car than the spider with closed roof - also maybe a point

·
Registered
35 Posts
drove my 720s coupe today - its very airy and roomy anyway, much more than any other sports car I can think of - roof up the spider has less space and feels a bit tighter bc you lose the cabin space behind the seats and glass canopy there ... if you prefer coupes I also like the form more and think it has slight edge design wise over the spider ...

Did you sit in both or made a test drive ? I find the coupe doors much nicer to get into the car than the spider with closed roof - also maybe a point
All valid and fair points you are making, Chris.

But then, you sit in the Spider, and you lower the rear window. And all of the sudden, you remember why you’ve spent an extra buck! 😁😁;)

More seriously, I find both cars absolutely stunning. But IMHO, if you put money considerations aside, the main factor to choose between the coupé and the spider should be the local dominant weather. I live in the Balearic Island, in the mediteranean sea, with more than 300 days of sun per year. Having chosen the coupé over the spider might have been somewhat frustrating.

·
Registered
2020 720 Spider
140 Posts
Get the spider if you’re gonna keep it for a long time. Depreciation won’t matter as much in the long run.

I was a coupe guy...until McLaren. The Spiders are so incredible and you’re not compromising anything except 100lbs. Driving with the rear window down and top up is awesome. Driving with the top up feels exactly like a coupe...and with the top down it’s awesome too...Spider all the way.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
All valid and fair points you are making, Chris.

But then, you sit in the Spider, and you lower the rear window. And all of the sudden, you remember why you’ve spent an extra buck! 😁😁;)

More seriously, I find both cars absolutely stunning. But IMHO, if you put money considerations aside, the main factor to choose between the coupé and the spider should be the local dominant weather. I live in the Balearic Island, in the mediteranean sea, with more than 300 days of sun per year. Having chosen the coupé over the spider might have been somewhat frustrating.
the 720s is for faster driving ... ;-) I somehow feel more comfortable doing that in a closed car ... for driving open I prefer slower options :LOL:

·
Registered
35 Posts
the 720s is for faster driving ... ;-) I somehow feel more comfortable doing that in a closed car ... for driving open I prefer slower options :LOL:
Well, if you’re 100% honest, wouldn’t you like to be able to lower just your rear window and have a much bette grasp of the engine sound, while keeping the roof up? 😬 ;)

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Well, if you’re 100% honest, wouldn’t you like to be able to lower just your rear window and have a much bette grasp of the engine sound, while keeping the roof up? 😬 ;)
no ;-) ... I mostly don't even open the side windows while driving :LOL: ... if I would live in Mallorca, Spain, Italy or the south of France that would maybe be different ...

·
Registered
1,932 Posts

as I said with cars this fast I am a real coupe fan ... however I understand also ppl liking the spider over the coupe... When I want to drive open I really prefer old cars (besides having a modern Porsche convertible for that reason too) which don't take away all the wind and environmental influences ... a 356 or 300SL will much more connected you to your surroundings and nature than a modern sportscar anyway and that is what I prefer when driving open

·
Registered
35 Posts
as I said with cars this fast I am a real coupe fan ... however I understand also ppl liking the spider over the coupe... When I want to drive open I really prefer old cars (besides having a modern Porsche convertible for that reason too) which don't take away all the wind and environmental influences ... a 356 or 300SL will much more connected you to your surroundings and nature than a modern sportscar anyway and that is what I prefer when driving open
Ok, but I still would go for the Spider, as in the case of the latest McLarens, it’s really two cars in one.

·
Registered
52 Posts
There's a couple 2020 Spider's brand new for around $80K off. There was one for $100K off but it sold. It's making me very tempted to trade my 2018 in.

·
Registered
750 Posts
But IMHO, if you put money considerations aside, the main factor to choose between the coupé and the spider should be the local dominant weather. I live in the Balearic Island, in the mediteranean sea, with more than 300 days of sun per year. Having chosen the coupé over the spider might have been somewhat frustrating.
For a commuting car (which is what my 12C is mostly used for, COVID-19 aside), I prefer a Coupé. The 12C spider felt a little confined to me (6') - the main reason that I chose a Coupé. I've also never understood the rear window - the engine is loud enough to almost hurt my ears at 8500 rpm, full-throttle. Sunburn in summer (Northern California) would be a concern too. Heavier traffic wouldn't be much fun with the top down.

Now, for a weekend / leisure car, it makes a lot more sense.

·
2012 MP4-12C
8,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
There's a couple 2020 Spider's brand new for around $80K off. There was one for $100K off but it sold. It's making me very tempted to trade my 2018 in.
wow. Where did you see that!? if it’s sensitive and you don’t mind sharing, please send me a pm. Thanks!

·
Registered
23 Posts
You have a point there! Sat in a Spider yesterday at the dealer and with the roof closed it was really tough to get in and out (I'm 6'4" or 195cm)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Wow, really? I'm not in the US unfortunately but if that's the case that would mean Mclaren are unofficially giving huge discounts. Or where these advertised at these prices?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts