McLaren Life banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my car will be delivered is on it's way to my place -- wish I was home -- and I will be having it detailed and polished really nice and plan on having some clear bra protection put on.

I've already decided against doing the whole car since I just have special paint, graphite grey, and that shouldn't be as big of a deal come touch ups if need be one day.

I have the CF splitter, diffuser, mirros, sills, and wheel arches. I figure all cover all of that stuff other than the wheel arches since CF can't just be touched up. However, I've heard that the bottom of the doors tend to take a beating and should redo that area as well.

Are there any other major problem areas that would be good to cover?

Thanks

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
So my car will be delivered is on it's way to my place -- wish I was home -- and I will be having it detailed and polished really nice and plan on having some clear bra protection put on.

I've already decided against doing the whole car since I just have special paint, graphite grey, and that shouldn't be as big of a deal come touch ups if need be one day.

I have the CF splitter, diffuser, mirros, sills, and wheel arches. I figure all cover all of that stuff other than the wheel arches since CF can't just be touched up. However, I've heard that the bottom of the doors tend to take a beating and should redo that area as well.

Are there any other major problem areas that would be good to cover?

Thanks
The bottom of the doors already come with some protection. At least mine did, and all the models I saw at the dealer did. It's thicker and more visible than the regular xpel. I had expel put on the whole damn car. It's probably a bit stupid and over the top, but I love not having to think/worry about stuff. I think the dealer charged 2700 for the base expel, and 5k for the whole car.

·
Registered
964 Posts

·
Registered
964 Posts
To update this..
I'd now suggest the leading edges of the door and rear bumper!!

I was shocked to see the other day that I now have a white leading edge to my doors!! caused from the road rash! shocked is an understatement that I'm down to bare material after less than 10K miles!!
Looking like the doors and bumpers all needing a respray! :mad: not at all impressed.

·
Registered
108 Posts
To update this..
I'd now suggest the leading edges of the door and rear bumper!!

I was shocked to see the other day that I now have a white leading edge to my doors!! caused from the road rash! shocked is an understatement that I'm down to bare material after less than 10K miles!!
Looking like the doors and bumpers all needing a respray! :mad: not at all impressed.
That is a known issue until someone can come up an after market carbon fiber side skirt. I have seen a lot of used MP4-12C with your problem when I was shopping one a couple months back. No wonder a forum member here suggested to check the front nose (due to the lack of front lift) as well as the edges of the door and rear bumper when shopping for one. It is a good idea to put your car on the lift to see what else is damage underneath. No wonder there were a few MP4-12C with over 5,000 miles sold for close to $185,000 and less due to the undercarriage damages.

Consider it a minor problem compare to a few over heating issue MP4-12C I saw at the track.

·
Registered
964 Posts
The door leading edge...

and the rear bumper leading edge, which I should also have had done..
Slightly to much DOF and a bit out of focus... but you get the idea..

Will be speaking to the dealer on Monday, just to see if this is normal and acceptable, but interested in what we think here?

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
put the shield on my front edge,but my rears are the same,so i will still put it on those to prevent any further damage!

·
Registered
964 Posts
Cheers Andy
If by my pain another owner are saved, then it's worthwhile mentioning it.
No one at the dealer or even paint shield mentioned this area.

The way it's looking I could be looking at a full respray by 15K!!

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks for the info. Good to know.

One thing I can say is that you might not need an entire respray. While I have no experience in painting, I would think that because they are just leading edges and on a different plane than, say, the side of the door, matching paint might not be so important with the rest of the panel.

In fact, I'd be more concerned that respraying an entire door would be more noticeable with respect to other parts of the body.

I say do a cheap spray that covers just the leading edge of possible and see how it looks. Worst case is you decide to respray the entire thing. Best case is that it looks totally fine.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts