McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long time since I posted. Hope everyone is well. What tires are you using for your 720 And how many miles did your stock tires last you? I am running the wanna go fast half mile event. I have 5,200 miles and tires look great. Thinking of changing before Sunday. I was running pilot sport cup twos on my 650. I loved those. What are you running for optimal performance? How many miles did you get from yours?

·
Premium Member
673 Posts
I still have the stock Corsas and I think their tread wear rating of 80 will be great on the track but I won't know for a couple of weeks, first at Sonoma and then at Laguna.

The next step would be the Trofeo R with a tread wear rating of 60 and much lower tread blocks. I used 6 sets of them on a couple of Porsches and loved them.

I have tried the Cup 2's on my prior Porsches. They lasted better than the Trofeo Rs which you would expect with a 180 tread wear rating but I still preferred the Trofeos.

I didn't like the Trofeo Rs or Cup 2s in rain so if the Corsas hold up performance wise I will re-up for another set when needed.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have the stock P Zeros and have run 4000 miles I'm surprised that the wear is quite minimal. I had P Zeros on the 570S I had before this and they were crap really low grip threshold these ones on the 720 seem a lot grippier. I changed the 570 onto Mich PS4S and the difference was massive, I presumed that I would have to do the same on the 720 but so far I am quite happy.

I am also quite intrigued with the fact that the P Zeros come with the internal foam pads from the factory and I'm wondering how much these contribute to the great level of NVH the car exhibits, I wouldn't want to ruin that unless there were some big tangible benefits to swapping.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm picking up on this topic because I'm considering to buy an extra set of wheels to use on track for my 720s.

I'm not aiming for optimum straight line speed but rather more for best cornering behaviour. Considering the place I live and spend time on track (the Netherlands) the tires should have at least some wet track capabilities.

These are the questions I have:
  1. has anyone compared the P-Zero Corsa with the Trofeo?
  2. is there a notable difference between the regular Corsa and the Corsa Asimmetrico?
  3. does anyone have experience with using non-standard Mclaren tires (e.g. Toyo) and how all the smart electronic stuff responds to that? I'm not experienced (or gutsy) enough to drive without that stuff yet 😊

·
Premium Member
592 Posts
I'm picking up on this topic because I'm considering to buy an extra set of wheels to use on track for my 720s.

I'm not aiming for optimum straight line speed but rather more for best cornering behaviour. Considering the place I live and spend time on track (the Netherlands) the tires should have at least some wet track capabilities.

These are the questions I have:
  1. has anyone compared the P-Zero Corsa with the Trofeo?
  2. is there a notable difference between the regular Corsa and the Corsa Asimmetrico?
  3. does anyone have experience with using non-standard Mclaren tires (e.g. Toyo) and how all the smart electronic stuff responds to that? I'm not experienced (or gutsy) enough to drive without that stuff yet 😊
I have run Corsa, Toyo R888R and now on Trofeo R. This is on my 2018 570 spider, but the compounds are the same as the 720. The Corsa I did not like on track. Street was fine. The R888R and Trofeo’s appear to have similar grip on track for me, but the Trofeo’s are much quieter. Tread life on the R888R wasn’t bad (I got about 10K out of them with a few track days). The Trofeo’s I’m expecting to be much worse based on the 60 treadwear rating (888R is 100), and comments from others. Basically I’m expecting between 5000 and 8000 miles on them, but I do go to the track (one day on these so far), so maybe much less. Trofeo’s are also way more expensive than the others.

Corsa’s would probably be much better in the wet than those two though.

I haven’t tried MPSC2 yet so I might try that next. It gets great reviews, and will likely have longer life than the Trofeo’s. If the grip matches the 888R and Trofeo, then that might be the best pick - but as I haven’t tried them I’m not sure yet.

If you’re buying an extra set of wheels for just the track the noise doesn’t matter - in which case I’d say the R888R’s are great tires (I’ve used those on Lotus, M3, Porsche’s and McLaren for the track and never had any issues). Note they do not like to be overinflated, so after the tires get warm, you must bring the pressure down (same as any tire really, but the R888R is especially sensitive I felt).

Oh, I’ve also run the Bridgestone RE71R. This is an awesome track tire that makes a mockery of its 200 treadwear rating - most people have effectively concluded that the 200 rating is a lie to meet SCCA racing rules. However, my biggest problem with it is that it doesn’t meet the speed rating requirement for a 200MPH+ car. On track typically you’ll never exceed the 168MPH rating even in a 720, but it still irks me so I switched well before the tread had run down and keep them as my emergency tires. One of my friends runs them on his McLaren and hits easy 1:35’s at Laguna (with me in the car - so likely even quicker if he’s pushing alone) which is pretty impressive.

Thanks!

Z.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks for the elaborate response, this is very useful information!

What’s your view on the 888R in wet conditions (quite likely in the place where I live...)?

·
Premium Member
592 Posts
Thanks for the elaborate response, this is very useful information!

What’s your view on the 888R in wet conditions (quite likely in the place where I live...)?
Really depends on how worn they are and how wet it is. I’ve found they still do really well when they still have tread on them and the road is damp. If there is standing water though, they do not evacuate water well at all. They are designed as dry tires though, so to be expected.

They are still very good in the dry past the wear markers (they essentially go from semi-slick to slicks), but of course at that point they have little tolerance for any standing water (damp still works well, I just wouldn’t recommend it).

Out of the three, the Corsa’s are probably best in the wet. The fourth option RE71R’s are better, but again the speed rating caveat. However, all these tires are dry tires so none are awesome in the wet.

It’s difficult to really find a good compromise tire for both wet and dry. For wet you really want a wet tire and for dry you really want as close to slick as possible. You could try an all-season that tries to be the best of both worlds, but it will suck at both.

Thanks!

Z.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Is it possible to run the R888R in 245/35/19 and 305/35/20 in the rear as opposed to 305/30/20. I have some r888rs from when I had my 570S. I currently have Corsas. Also this sizing will be for the track on stock rims. I don’t care much for drag racing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
592 Posts
Is it possible to run the R888R in 245/35/19 and 305/35/20 in the rear as opposed to 305/30/20. I have some r888rs from when I had my 570S. I currently have Corsas. Also this sizing will be for the track on stock rims. I don’t care much for drag racing.

The tires will fit the rims perfectly - 720S has 19x9 up front and 20x11 at the back, and the tires you have accept between 7.5" and 9.5" on the front one, and between 10" and 12" on the rear. So really the only issue is clearance inside the wheel arch for rubbing. Considering it fit the 570S with no rubbing, and there appears to be plenty of wheel gap space, and the fact that the 720 was designed for similar width tires, I would say it would fit with no issues. Though unless someone else has tried them I cannot say categorically. Since you already have them though, it won't be too expensive to try.

Thanks!

Z.

·
Registered
95 Posts
The tires will fit the rims perfectly - 720S has 19x9 up front and 20x11 at the back, and the tires you have accept between 7.5" and 9.5" on the front one, and between 10" and 12" on the rear. So really the only issue is clearance inside the wheel arch for rubbing. Considering it fit the 570S with no rubbing, and there appears to be plenty of wheel gap space, and the fact that the 720 was designed for similar width tires, I would say it would fit with no issues. Though unless someone else has tried them I cannot say categorically. Since you already have them though, it won't be too expensive to try.

Thanks!

Z.
Thanks I was just wondering if it would affect cornering performance. It seems the cars rake will be lowered at the front, meaning more downforce.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks again for the extensive information. I've decided to just go for the Corsa's for the time being. The next two track events are planned for October. There is a significant chance of at least partially wet conditions. I'll explore the R888 or Trofeo options after the winter.

I hope I'll be spending enough time on track to require a few more new sets of tires and I'll try to report back on them over-here.

·
Owner
188 Posts
I have had R888s or R888Rs in all of my cars and recently switched to MPS4s in the Porsche and GT-R. I thought due to the amount of power and torque, that traction would suffer but that wasn't the case. I really like them.
As soon as my 720 is due for tires, I think that is what I am going to go for.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
10 Participants
zerokewl
McLaren Life
McLaren Life is the best McLaren forum to discuss reliability, problems & more for supercar models like the F1, P1, 570, 650, 12C, and 720S!
Full Forum Listing