McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over a base spec car, what options do you really need, as opposed to purely cosmetic options such as Carbon Fibre?

·
Registered
432 Posts
You don't really "need" any options. They are "wants", not "needs".
To me, the sport exhaust and lite weight wheels are important. Most other options are cosmetic.

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
As Moncho says,the wheels make it look better,as for the exhaust i dont miss it! I manage just fine without the electric seats,and the NAV and hi fi are now good.The standard outside spec is just fine and at a small distance you wouldnt know the difference any way.if you loaded it with CF,its all personal preference and down to the size of your wallet,nothing extra makes it perform any quicker apart from the CCbrakes if you track it alot,but the standards hold up well if you only do a handfull of track days a year,the standard stop you as quick but start to fade after 20 or so hard minutes,usually a session anyway !!

·
Registered
432 Posts
The inserts are aluminum color. Not sure about the seats. I think they are "leather seating surface". Here's a pic of the inserts. Note that these are the alcantara seats.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356101592.168122.jpg

·
Owner
544 Posts
This is just my own personal opinion, in order of importance:

1. Make sure you get the exterior colour right so that it is both eye catching but also easy to touch up (WARNING: Elite colours cannot be touched up - need to paint the whole panel and then ensure that it matches the next one!)

2. Carbon exterior adds nothing to performance, and is expensive. For some people its important, but bear in mind that you could wrap those items with a carbon film and get a similar look.

3. Electric seats - not really necessary if you are the only driver - you will set it once and it will stay that way...

4. Leather / alcantara seats are necessary as the standard seat has a rather loud coloured mesh fabric inlay which to my eyes looks rather cheap. The also cover the door panels with it. And difficult to clean.

5. The standard silver interior looks fine especially if you want to add a touch of light to the cabin.

6. Sports exhaust may not be necessary now with the upgrade

7. Wheels? Again personal preference - most seem to have gone for the stealth look so the actual design is less visible.

Conclusion: You don't need to add too much, and given the residuals that's not a bad thing...

·
Registered
886 Posts
No options are required but you should make it your car.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
I love options on a car especially ones that make a car lighter and faster and unique. If there were no options wouldn't life be boring, build it to suit your persona and your desires. Love my car. Cheers.....

·
Owner
893 Posts
To each his own, but .......
Some of the options are simply a waste of money and just plain old sucker bait.;)
One example: $1400 to have the factory spray your wheels black/stealth ?
Utter nonsense for $5 worth of paint.:eek:

·
MmmmcLaren
1,375 Posts
Personally speaking, I actually like the standard "Sports" fabric inserts (seats/door/etc). For those wanting more of an Alcantara/ultra-suede feel but w/ the 2-tone perforated contrast of the "Sports" fabric, there are materials out there available that I'm sure MSO would be glad to implement in a customer build.

Example:

With regards to the (optional) exposed carbon-fiber overlay/finish trim & accents, one particular spot on the MP4-12C truly begs for it (IMVHO)...

carbon-fiber sill panels/plates

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Have to go along with Osiris on the space fabris seat insets - I have a VO car with orange space fabric and I think it looks fabulous. Also perfect when living in a hot sticky climate like Houston. Doesn't look at all cheap and after 6500 miles is still flawless

Also agree about the carbon sills being a good extra, although perhaps not necessary if you go with the silver interior trim. I had mine embossed by MSO with the "MP-4 12C" logo

·
Registered
117 Posts
Cloth seats don't really cut it in a car like this. Leather should be standard IMO. I guess there could be a delete option for those wanting "space fabric".

·
Owner
893 Posts
Just wondering (out loud) ...... Are people aware that Alcantara® is simply a polyester fabric with a fancy name ?? (Does anyone, but me, remember those awful polyester leisure suits from the 70's:eek:)
This nomenclature is akin to plain old vinyl seat covers being ennobled as 'Leatherette'. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Just wondering (out loud) ...... Are people aware that Alcantara® is simply a polyester fabric with a fancy name ?? (Does anyone, but me, remember those awful polyester leisure suits from the 70's:eek:)
This nomenclature is akin to plain old vinyl seat covers being ennobled as 'Leatherette'. :rolleyes:
You know it looks nice and feels nice apart from that I've never been keen on Alcantara. I realize that it has specific properties which are useful the main one being slippage. I had the product in a Volvo 850R wagon it was good but not great. Yes in this day and age there are a lot of synthetic materials being used, reason being is that not all natural products can be used due to restraints of some nature. So they develop things like Alcantara or for that matter carbon fiber to suite the application. Cheers....??

·
Owner
544 Posts
I think that if a car is an all out track car, then alcantara is the way to go, but in a standard 12c with electric seats it doesn't quite fit. What put me off it was how it leaves "brush" marks when you rub against it - especially on the dash

1 - 20 of 33 Posts