McLaren Life banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
2012 MP4-12C
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been making some observations which has spurred some curiosity. I've known several McLaren owners to say they consume oil in varying amounts (having to top off between changes) where my customers and myself, don't have to. I use Mobil 1 synthetic European which is the factory fill exclusively. In my Mercedes I last did the oil change with Valvoline instead of Liquimoly. Liquimoly I went a full change interval without having to add any while Valvoline I've now had to add 2 liters in a little more than half of a change interval. My girlfriends VW on whatever was factory fill had to add a liter at 5k miles. She had 3 free oil changes with the purchase of the car and had to add a liter at 5-7k miles for all of those. I did her last change with Valvoline and 2k miles in she had to add a liter. A friend with an Audi S4 said Motul doesn't consume oil in S4's but Castrol does.

This has spurred the thought of those McLaren owners who do have to top off, what oil is being used? Does Valvoline's European oil consume a lot vs another oil? What oil are you using? How often do you have to top off?

2012 MP4-12C
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mobil 1 Euro in '21 720S, 6K mi, 11 mo, 6 track days = 1 liter oil added
Notable item on your car, 2020+ should be using ESP. Do you know if it's got ESP or regular European?

2012 MP4-12C
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's Mobil 1 Euro Car Formula 0W-40 FS
I know the ESP formula shouldn't be used in cars that don't call for it as it contains some additives others don't have, but I'm now curious if ESP would make a difference in your car as that's what it calls for. I believe the ESP formula has something to do with emissions, but it definitely has a different composition.

Reactions: Tumbleweed

·
Registered
215 Posts
I’ve been using Redline 5W40 in all my cars since the 1900’s and now using their 0W40, never a problem. My 720S owners manual says to use Mobil 1 but what else are they going to say with Exxon being a sponsor? My Porsches and Benzs had their little sticker recommending Mobil 1 in the engine compartment but Exxon paid for it to be there.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I’ve been using Redline 5W40 in all my cars since the 1900’s and now using their 0W40, never a problem. My 720S owners manual says to use Mobil 1 but what else are they going to say with Exxon being a sponsor? My Porsches and Benzs had their little sticker recommending Mobil 1 in the engine compartment but Exxon paid for it to be there.
i too use redline in all my cars with exception of the Mclaren. I get zero consumption of oil between changes, but i do not track my car and am not too aggressive.
They get 10w60 which the cars definitely agree with although i get a little weeping.

2012 MP4-12C
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That's the only reason they use Pirelli tires, but not the point of the question.
2012 12c 28k miles just under 1L top up between changes, drive hard on road with hot weather.
A Nevada customer of mine has a similar environment to you and uses more oil than that in a 720, but I also don't know what oil is used as I haven't done the oil change or top off. I believe extreme heat contributes and different oils burn differently which is also the reason for the post.

Reactions: rnixon
2012 MP4-12C
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I know I forgot how to do this. But how do you check for oil level in the 720 and where do you fill the oil? I just do annual dealer service.
This will tell you everything you need to know, and more

1 - 18 of 18 Posts