McLaren Life banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
So if going to hit the track for 3-4 times/year should be fine to use OEM hardware. Are PFC brake pads even better at the track? I mean they will protect the rotors better than the oem pads? I am not refering to perfromance of the PFC pads vs OEM.

Also would be ok to run Trofeo + PFC pads for 3-4 track days? Should we see some serious wear on the rotors using this exact setup, my local trck is 2.5miles with 160mph straight to 60mph and other 2 ares with 130mph to 45-50mph, but other than that is just a 2D track, no elevation or anything.

I am planning to do girodisc later on, just waiting those Endless pads to be released as I can not get the Cobalts anymore.

·
Registered
962 Posts
So if going to hit the track for 3-4 times/year should be fine to use OEM hardware. Are PFC brake pads even better at the track? I mean they will protect the rotors better than the oem pads? I am not refering to perfromance of the PFC pads vs OEM.

Also would be ok to run Trofeo + PFC pads for 3-4 track days? Should we see some serious wear on the rotors using this exact setup, my local trck is 2.5miles with 160mph straight to 60mph and other 2 ares with 130mph to 45-50mph, but other than that is just a 2D track, no elevation or anything.

I am planning to do girodisc later on, just waiting those Endless pads to be released as I can not get the Cobalts anymore.
I really feel that I took one for the team (720s), as I received a launch edition 720s and started tracking right out of the gate. There was no aftermarket solution (I was on my third set of OEM front rotors), until I found the giro disc solution. I was going to stop tracking it because it was just too expensive. There was some people on here that were holdouts but they came around after they did a few track days and went to same set up as I have.

Pagid came around with their solution much later then the giro/cobalt and people on here have said they were going to use them but none have reported back.

The primary concern was how fast the front OEM pads go out and the effect to the rotors (My main concern was impact to the rotors (I've had 3 sets of them) and that I wouldn't be able to do a 2 day track event as the front pads would go out (I'm not the mechanically inclined and was not able to change pads myself back in those days).

Initially, giro kit came with their rotors and cobalt pads. For some reason, cobalt went awol and giro started supplying reybestos and then their own Giro pad. These two pads were o.k. but not as good as Cobalt and didn't last as long. Multiple people weren't able to get the cobalt pads because they stopped responding/returning e-mails, returning phone calls.

However, I needed a new set and decided to call them directly. They are now making the pads again. I ordered them two weeks ago by calling them directly and I received my Cobalt pads yesterday. I'm attaching my invoice which has the information (pad number and cost)

Attachments

·
Registered
962 Posts
unmac, thanks for the great info all around! Makes me want to get track telemetry next go around!
I forgot one thing . Check the manual for performance shift que (audible sound that tells you when you need to shift . (I can’t really hear it in my helmet ). It’s a good thing to use when you’re on a track for the very first time or tracking 720s the first time (you’ll be hitting the limiter because you won’t be used to shifting st the same places as other cars (I kept hitting the limiter my first time at a track that I was familiar with but 720 is so bloody fast that everything changes compared to other cars )

·
Registered
962 Posts
5 Mac’s out here today 2x 720, 2x12c, 570 . 3 of them forum members . Discussions centered around lap times , how to approach certain corners , pads, rotors, tires , next event that we could possibly sign up for View attachment 202479
088FD2B5-16E0-4318-96B9-F75E77855F12.jpeg

·
Registered
49 Posts
Second vote for @Detroit Bill 's recommendation on AP Racing via EssexParts.com. After tracking my Z06 Corvette for a season I had worn out the carbon ceramics that it came with. They were incredible, but at $5k for stock front rotors and $1k for stock front pads (rears cheaper but similar) that was going to get way too expensive on a car that does nothing but track work. I bought the AP Racing kit for the Corvette. Front and rear totaled $11k installed, which was pretty close to just the parts price on the stock CCBs. Now the front rotors are $1k (replaceable on reusable hats), the front pads are about $400 and last 4x as long as the stock CCBs. The braking performance is equal if not better, and I certainly don't feel any change in unsprung weight.

My only complaint is that the APs were noisy as hell with my first set of pads (I believe Ferrodo DS111 on front and DS312 rear). When I called Essex (they have excellent support) they said it was normal. They designed that kit for stopping power on track only and paid no attention to noise. I didn't care since I don't drive the Corvette on the street, but I guarantee you it scares the corner workers when you approach. On the plus side, it gets the attention of the car in front of you, so point-bys are easier to get. :)

I'm on my second set of pads now. They changed to a different Ferrodo compound. They are quieter, but still not what most people would accept for street use. If you buy kits or replacements parts, Essex will pre-bed them for you to save time. Nice bonus.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts