McLaren Life banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
McLaren 720S spider, 2020. Spark.
387 Posts
Totally agree with zswizzle!

If I had the budget for a 720 would I purchase a 570 instead?.... Nope. If my budget had allowed for a 720, I would have bought a 720.

Also, different budgets brings in different car choices.... My "570 budget" range included several different cars (among others cars besides McLaren - the MB SLS Coupe was my difficult decision). In the end I found a properly spec'd 570GT and couldn't be happier!

View attachment 204589
Something like your car would be my choice in a McLaren regardless of price. For my purposes. Love having the kids at meets want to race me in the 720, we all know the many ways it’s a “better” car. Pretty crazy ride. Glad to have experienced it and will have it a couple years.

Reactions: Bradford

·
Owner
532 Posts
After driving all three, back to back...... as good as the 600 and 720 are, it made me appreciate just how good the 570 is.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Totally agree with zswizzle!

If I had the budget for a 720 would I purchase a 570 instead?.... Nope. If my budget had allowed for a 720, I would have bought a 720.

Also, different budgets brings in different car choices.... My "570 budget" range included several different cars (among others cars besides McLaren - the MB SLS Coupe was my difficult decision). In the end I found a properly spec'd 570GT and couldn't be happier!

View attachment 204589
Lovely spec! What color is this? This angle makes the car look like a mini P1.

·
Registered
10 Posts
any feedback here is totally subjective - my decision was based on appearance, cost of (my) ownership, and potential for trips (as opposed to the track, which doesn't mean I won't ;)) - settled on a 1 of 6 XP Green MSO 570GT - wow!
http://instagr.am/p/CDRvkO1hBIs/
So true, it's hard to justify any rationale at this price point. Everyone has different motives for what drives them to one vehicle or another.

Love the color combo!

·
Registered
2018 570GT Sports Pack in Polaris Blue
8 Posts
Lovely spec! What color is this? This angle makes the car look like a mini P1.
Thanks! The previous owner's license plate was "P1 - BABY".... :cool:

The color combo is MSO Defined - Polaris Blue ($7,430) and MSO Defined Black Pack ($5,460) with Super-Lightweight Wheels in Sliver ($4,320) and "Liquid" caliper ceramic brakes ($1,110).... The Sports Pack ($5,950) added the Sports Exhaust in MSO Black (and Corsa Tires, among other upgrades) - essentially returning the car back to the 570 "S" specification.

Interior options include Carbon Fiber Interior Upgrade ($6,680), Bower & Wilkins ($2,280), Electric Steering Column ($1,670), Black Nappa Touring Deck ($1,060) and Alcantara Stering Wheel ($620)...

All in - its about $40,000 in spec options...

·
Registered
138 Posts
Good points. I've seen plenty of things also. However, you're thoughts do NOT line up with how things are working at HPDE and track days. If everyone listened to you or tracks/organizers implemented these rules then we can say good-bye to all tracks in USA.

I wouldn't discourage people from tracking high power street cars. There is plenty of people who learn with them. A lot and I mean a lot of people in powerful street cars in beginner cars and moving their way up to the advance groups.

The one thing I don't understand is people who track race cars at HPDE and they actually don't race. Seems like a waste of time/money to me and making it dangerous for others.
Not quite sure how using a race car is dangerous to others. What's dangerous is people getting in high powered street cars that don't have the skill and/or experience to handle them.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Not quite sure how using a race car is dangerous to others. What's dangerous is people getting in high powered street cars that don't have the skill and/or experience to handle them.
My experience; people in race cars don't have the experience to drive a car that requires them to go faster in corners... A lot of race team/coach's scouts trying to get rich dudes into race cars that don't have a whole lot of experience. Race cars dive bombing others in corners, trying to drive 10/10th's and way outside their skill level at HPDE's. They are the typical ones that go into walls. The cars that have roll cages, harnesses are the typical ones that overdrive and outside their skill and find walls.

I'm a keen observer of everything that goes on at track days (i have about 100 HPDE days in the last five years). I have plenty of telemetry videos of people finding walls and it isn't from guys driving street cars (which accounts for 90% of the miles on tracks).

Reactions: Spr

·
Registered
161 Posts
I try very hard to ascribe hard financial data to the concept of ‘value’, because all the subjective and emotional factors cannot be agreed to by all parties.

but I realized that you could make the argument either way with data.

a 570s is a better value than a 720s because there’s a strong argument that the incremental performance of the latter won’t justify the huge increase in price of the latter. Diminishing returns hit hard after the 570s level.

a 720s is a better value than the 570s, because with a 570s, you don’t have to spend that much more to beat it. $100k more will do the job for sure (with....a 720s. Although there are Lambos Ferraris and Porsches also available at that price point). With a 720s, you’re looking at spending 3-4x its price to get a hypercar that can beat it.

·
Registered
138 Posts
My experience; people in race cars don't have the experience to drive a car that requires them to go faster in corners... A lot of race team/coach's scouts trying to get rich dudes into race cars that don't have a whole lot of experience. Race cars dive bombing others in corners, trying to drive 10/10th's and way outside their skill level at HPDE's. They are the typical ones that go into walls. The cars that have roll cages, harnesses are the typical ones that overdrive and outside their skill and find walls.

I'm a keen observer of everything that goes on at track days (i have about 100 HPDE days in the last five years). I have plenty of telemetry videos of people finding walls and it isn't from guys driving street cars (which accounts for 90% of the miles on tracks).
That's just people driving beyond their skill level, regardless of car. I'm assuming when you say "a car that requires them to go faster in corners" you are talking about downforce cars like a Radical. That's a specific kind of car and skill set, a "race car" is a much wider category. A Spec Miata is a race car, which I have a tough time believing someone is more likely to get into trouble with than a 720.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I have argued that the 570 is the winner because it’s just so good and checks all the boxes for a genuine supercar experience.

But last evening I needed some mealworms for a pet turtle so of course took the 720 to the pet store. Wound up driving about 25 miles, long way ‘round.

There is a presence to the driver and the observers of magnificence and that “king of the hill” feel for the 720 that nothing else could have for me. Not under a $million. In that sense, they are the best value on the planet.

Reactions: Jeff M and rnixon

·
Registered
328 Posts
I am on my second 570s. I have driven 720s and they are nice cars but way more power than it is needed for our streets around here...So many potholes and uneven pavements. For me the 570 has the style that I like and it resembles the P1 lines. You can drive it everyday and it has enough power to have fun at the track or open road. It may not have some of the techs that 720 has but 720's style is not for me.

As to which one is the best value for the money? You should test drive both and see which one you are most comfortable driving. See which one puts a smile one your face. The one that makes you smile is the one that has most value.

Now if you have a certain budget then that automatically answers your question. Don't spend more than your budget.

Hope you fined the car that makes you smile and enjoy.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Depends on which direction one wants to go.

We drove a 600. More of a raw, track like experience and appearance. There were remarkable deals available, seemed like a lot of cars in stock at dealers.

The 720 provides a more elegant experience. Extremely potent, but more civilized than the 600.

Reactions: RBH

·
Registered
361 Posts
Hahah. Spec miata isn't a race car.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Ever been to a spec Miata event? Those guys really go at it in lower powered equally matched cars. The Miata is pretty much based on a Lotus Elan, one of the best handling cars ever. They go in moderate rain too on semi slick tires. A lot of fun on a budget.

But yeah on track days they are rolling chicanes.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts