McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I thought it would be fun to hear different opinions on what is a better value for money, a 570 or a 720. There is about a $70-100k price difference on average between the two from what ive seen. Everyone can agree that yes a 720 will be faster, better riding with its magic suspension, more aero, etc... But a 570 is no slouch either. It is quicker than the majority of other supercars out there, rides great, looks great (objectively better looking than a 720 depending on who you ask), has good aero as well, interior quality is good, etc. So is a 720 really worth the extra $70-100k over a 570? You can throw a tune on a 570 for $2-4k and it is nearly identical speed wise. So that leaves it down to everything else, is the interior quality, magic suspension, aero, and all other things about the 720 really worth that much more? You can pick up a decent used 570 coupe anywhere from $130k to 160k and a used 720 coupe from about $230k to $260k from what ive seen as of July 27th 2020. Once again im not dogging on anybody's vehicle here or trying to say which car is better! Obviously the 720 is the better vehicle, just was curious if you think its $70-100k better haha. My personal opinion is for $130-160k, the 570 is by far no questions asked the best value for money supercar on the market. And ive owned a lot of supercars over the years so that's saying something!

·
Registered
96 Posts
There's a lot more 720s out there for sale and the replacement to the 570s has been delayed. I think the 570s will hold it's value better over the next couple years.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I haven't driven either yet, which I should fix. With that said, I'd go for the 720S - super > sports. If you're going to go for a technologically advanced car, you may as well get as much as you can afford.

In terms of value for money, it's subjective, and will heavily depend on what you enjoy. For example, a 720S is going to be better value as a track day car, IMO. A 570S better value as a daily driver, unless you really want the extra performance and technology (I would).

·
Registered
74 Posts
Six months ago I got a 570S Spider and absolutely love the car for all the reasons you'd expect. Having driven 2700 miles and I'm still eager to get back in to run an errand. Living in a beach community makes it impossible to exploit its power and handling, but curiously, it hasn't diminished pleasure derived. That being said, I really like the 720S and have given some thought to trading up...

·
Registered
McLaren 720S spider, 2020. Spark.
384 Posts

I often think of how much I enjoyed our 570 ”Spark”. Really glad we are having the unbelievable 720 experience. But a 570GT would be my choice overall. Regardless of the cost. How fast do I really need to be?

·
Registered
99 Posts
A tuned 570 still can’t touch a stock 720. The difference in speed is still very drastic so if you intend on really racing, then a 720 is the right car.
looks are subjective. 720 does it for me.
with that said, 570 is an exceptional car for the money and it’s truly up to you to decide.

·
Registered
384 Posts
A tuned 570 still can’t touch a stock 720. The difference in speed is still very drastic so if you intend on really racing, then a 720 is the right car.
looks are subjective. 720 does it for me.
with that said, 570 is an exceptional car for the money and it’s truly up to you to decide.
Agree with all. But I personally will not get out on track without a cage, reinforced seat, harness, helmet and HANS. Dedicated track car. So fun.

·
Owner
526 Posts
I have had my 570S for over 2 years now. It is a great car, amazing performance, looks exotic, has been extremely reliable and there hasn't been anything it won't humiliate on either road or track. It really is absurdly quick! I don't just putter around. I have done a fair bit of racing and I have been an instructor for 20 years.

Having said that, I have been flirting with either a 600LT or a 720, which is a great first world problem to have. So, I drove the 570 to the dealer and got to drive a 600 and a 720, back to back.

Unfortunately, there was a fair amount of traffic, so it was difficult to open the taps. Maybe, if there was more open spaces or a track, the differences may have been more apparent, but in the real world (where most of us live and drive), they all just seemed like different flavors from the same ice cream store.

The 720 was obviously quicker and the 600 made more noise. Looks are subjective. I like them all. Both interiors are a special place to spend your time. Are either worth the difference? In the real world...... no. I still think I may want to try some different 'ice cream'........ just because!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Both would give you good value given the depreciation that each one has already taken. I was faced with the decision on 12C vs 650S vs 570S (all preowned obviously). Frankly, the better carbon tub, the newer tech, the less prone to repair (e.g. hydraulic suspension), and of course "looks" were all part of the equation on which to choose. I went the 570S route, and was lucky to find a spec that was almost perfect for my needs.

I never considered a preowned 720S due to budget, but I think I would have still made the decision I did if I had an extra $70K+ to spend. I like the interior better in the 720, but the 570 looks better from the outside. Of course, looks are subjective.

Longer-term I think the 570S will be much cheaper to own and provide 99%+ of the capability that most people need.

Now, if I did have the extra coin, I may have actually gone with a 600LT. (y)

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Agree with all. But I personally will not get out on track without a cage, reinforced seat, harness, helmet and HANS. Dedicated track car. So fun.
I'm guessing that you haven't been to HPDE's in many, many , many years. Non race events account for the majority of track rentals at race tracks (mainly street cars and >90% of them without cages, harnesses or hans.).

Reactions: broomhilda

·
Registered
159 Posts
For the canyon roads and track configurations that I personally drive, a 570 is 95% of the experience at 60% of the cost. So by that math, the 570 is absolutely the better value of the two.

Using the same equation, a Miata is 60% of the experience at 10% of the cost, which is an even greater value.

Which goes to show that we're merely irrational enthusiasts who buy the coolest toys we can reasonable afford. :)

·
Registered
384 Posts
I'm guessing that you haven't been to HPDE's in many, many , many years. Non race events account for the majority of track rentals at race tracks (mainly street cars and >90% of them without cages, harnesses or hans.).
I retired from HPDEs at age 60 four years ago. Had over 100 track days. Built up safety aspect before adding power and suspension and aero. Mainly ran with Chin. Plenty stock cars, but plenty track cars too.

For me I just felt better with the protection and being secure in the seat by the harness. Having a trailer to get home with in case of knocking the shine off made it more fun for me too.

Saw a lot of cars flatbedded back to the paddocks and two guys who were killed.

My point in this thread is that since I would not be tracking any McLaren I would have, the 570 performance is adequate, for me. Loving our 720 but it’s not neccessary for me to have that level of eye opening to have a grand life experience.

Reactions: Cesar

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I retired from HPDEs at age 60 four years ago. Had over 100 track days. Built up safety aspect before adding power and suspension and aero. Mainly ran with Chin. Plenty stock cars, but plenty track cars too.

For me I just felt better with the protection and being secure in the seat by the harness. Having a trailer to get home with in case of knocking the shine off made it more fun for me too.

Saw a lot of cars flatbedded back to the paddocks and two guys who were killed.

My point in this thread is that since I would not be tracking any McLaren I would have, the 570 performance is adequate, for me. Loving our 720 but it’s not neccessary for me to have that level of eye opening to have a grand life experience.
Good points. I've seen plenty of things also. However, you're thoughts do NOT line up with how things are working at HPDE and track days. If everyone listened to you or tracks/organizers implemented these rules then we can say good-bye to all tracks in USA.

I wouldn't discourage people from tracking high power street cars. There is plenty of people who learn with them. A lot and I mean a lot of people in powerful street cars in beginner cars and moving their way up to the advance groups.

The one thing I don't understand is people who track race cars at HPDE and they actually don't race. Seems like a waste of time/money to me and making it dangerous for others.

Reactions: Gary(SF)

·
Registered
384 Posts
Glad you and many of us are able to have the thrills and satisfaction of running our cars on track.

My point here, in this thread, is that since I personally choose to not run without a certain level of safety equipment I do not require the maximum performance of my McLarens. At least for me I could relax and go faster when I felt safer.

I barely got to the point of running the advanced groups. Never had or will have the skill or resources or desire to race. Still, it was a great life experience.

Reactions: Cesar

·
Registered
384 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
I look at the cars in a couple of different ways. The 570 is certainly the "bargain" when used they can be had for $130-$160k range. The 720 doesn't look like a deal when compared to the 570 at $100k more but does when you start to look at the cars the 720 competes with (488 pista, Performante, Ford GT, GT2 RS, etc). That's when the 720 starts to make sense. It really all boils down to your budget and how you enjoy your car. Either way, you can't go wrong ;)

·
Registered
2018 570GT Sports Pack in Polaris Blue
7 Posts
.....It really all boils down to your budget and how you enjoy your car. Either way, you can't go wrong ;)
Totally agree with zswizzle!

If I had the budget for a 720 would I purchase a 570 instead?.... Nope. If my budget had allowed for a 720, I would have bought a 720.

Also, different budgets brings in different car choices.... My "570 budget" range included several different cars (among others cars besides McLaren - the MB SLS Coupe was my difficult decision). In the end I found a properly spec'd 570GT and couldn't be happier!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts