McLaren Life banner
121 - 122 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Whoa - I'm feelin' like Emily Litella! I can't believe I didn't connect those adjacent dots (re: FI vs FI)!

The gears don't *cause* vibration, but using belts somewhat isolates the valvetrain from the vibrations in the lower block (they can't transmit vibration into the camshaft itself). Gears - being solid - can transmit these vibrations into the camshaft. A caveat - this is what I learned regarding gear drives when I was building engines in the early 1980s (Ford V8s...). I guess it could no longer be an issue...
Why not electrohydraulic or electromagnetic "camless" design with no vibration issues and easy timing changes? Has it been done? Too expensive? Too much heat and gas pressure involved?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #122 ·
I'd like to see much less glue and double stick adhesive tape used to hold car together. The rubber surround in the bonnet is stuck with tape that will not even adhere to the type of synthetic rubber used. Many of the carbon fiber parts are held to other panels with a type of super glue or something that loosens and causes rattles. Glues and adhesives are IMO only advanced construction techniques if they are reliable.
A lot of glues deteriate and delaminate over time. Its a big worry.
Glues that meld substrates are much much better but alas they can only be used in a few situations.

121 - 122 of 122 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.