McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So... I've had it a week now. It's amazing - what I'd expect from a car of that price/pedigree in 2013 - great looks, great features and creature comforts inside and I've not felt acceleration like that before (I thought my F360 was quick!).

All in all - I'm a very satisfied customer.

So... what don't I like - it's a really hard car to wash, lot's of nooks and crannies. It takes twice as long as the Ferrari.http://www.mclarenlife.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
So... I've had it a week now. It's amazing - what I'd expect from a car of that price/pedigree in 2013 - great looks, great features and creature comforts inside and I've not felt acceleration like that before (I thought my F360 was quick!).

So... what don't I like - it's a really hard car to wash, lot's of nooks and crannies. It takes twice as long as the Ferrari.http://www.mclarenlife.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif
May I suggest getting someone else to wash it for you, I bring mine to the dealership quite often and they do a great job of washing it for me. Ah the joys of having your dealership that's so close to home is truly practical in all aspects of the word LOL?. Cheers....??

·
Professional Bum
252 Posts
My detailer has threatened to quit if I ever "wash" my cars myself again... Apparently I'm a washtard, and he bills me into submission repairing the damage I do. Wrenches, mechanical, no problem. Paint, body & shiny stuff I'm completely inept.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
May I suggest getting someone else to wash it for you, I bring mine to the dealership quite often and they do a great job of washing it for me. Ah the joys of having your dealership that's so close to home is truly practical in all aspects of the word LOL?. Cheers....??
I ALWAY wash + detail my own cars (it's left over from when back in the day I used to have custom vans and display them at shows).

I have a supplier here in Australia that supplies all sorts of amazing cleaning stuff.

Plus, for me, part of the joy of ownership is being in the driveway thinking "yes.... that's right neighbours, I'm washing MY MCLAREN"

·
Registered
356 Posts

After one or two long hand washes I bought a Master Blaster dryer ( read about it on this forum). It uses 8HP to blow filtered heated air through a nozzle. 15-20 minutes to totally dry the car, only requiring a micro fiber cloth to dry under the airbrake.

http://www.amazon.com/Metro-Vacuum-...d=1376283039&sr=8-3&keywords=motorcycle+dryer

·
Registered
2 Posts
I ALWAY wash + detail my own cars (it's left over from when back in the day I used to have custom vans and display them at shows).

I have a supplier here in Australia that supplies all sorts of amazing cleaning stuff.

Plus, for me, part of the joy of ownership is being in the driveway thinking "yes.... that's right neighbours, I'm washing MY MCLAREN"

Where do you get your detailing stuff. I'm sick of super rip off auto (Supercheap Auto)

·
Registered
824 Posts
After one or two long hand washes I bought a Master Blaster dryer ( read about it on this forum). It uses 8HP to blow filtered heated air through a nozzle. 15-20 minutes to totally dry the car, only requiring a micro fiber cloth to dry under the airbrake.

http://www.amazon.com/Metro-Vacuum-...d=1376283039&sr=8-3&keywords=motorcycle+dryer
15 to 20 minutes to dry the car!

How long does it take with a cloth?

I bought one, but find it totally over-rated and not worth the effort, as I still have to use a cloth to dry it.

I love gadgets, but this is one to miss, IMO

·
Registered
356 Posts
15 to 20 minutes to dry the car!

How long does it take with a cloth?

I bought one, but find it totally over-rated and not worth the effort, as I still have to use a cloth to dry it.

I love gadgets, but this is one to miss, IMO
It was taking me a lot of time and effort to dry all the nooks and crannies around the taillights, rear diffuser, grill bars, turning vanes, etc. That was made a lot easier by the gadget.

I agree it doesn't save any time on the flat surfaces. But overall I am satisfied and use it every time I wash the car.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I don't allow anybody else than me wash my cars. Can't say the Mp4 takes longer as I generally wash 3-4 cars in a row taking me about 1/2 day to do it. It's such a relaxing job to do this. Normally I wash them every week and it really doens't take long if you wash them regulary

·
Premium Member
1,870 Posts
I don't allow anybody else than me wash my cars. Can't say the Mp4 takes longer as I generally wash 3-4 cars in a row taking me about 1/2 day to do it. It's such a relaxing job to do this. Normally I wash them every week and it really doens't take long if you wash them regulary
I do the same - enjoy the heck out of it.

This spring I plan on outfitting the garage with all the accessories of a detail shop.

·
Green
65 Posts
What is bothering me slightly is the shift from 1st to 2nd hear can lag a little, which isn't a problem if the car is warmed up, but worries me when the car isn't warmed up because it revs higher than I would like. If it happened consistently I could be prepared for it, but it seems inconsistent. I also really really miss satellite radio. Also, if you have a different volume for phone calls and navigation, when you make a phone call and then drop back to navigation the voice can be startlingly loud for a second. I guess the water dripping from the door bothers me as well if I get caught in the rain. Hopefully it isn't sitting anywhere inside the car where it can do damage. Minor niggles really and nothing I won't get used to...

·
Registered
17 Posts
I find using my 200mph gas-powered leaf blower dries the cars off reasonably quickly! I find it essential for my black cars, which begin spotting up as soon as you put the hose down...

Word of advice: Make sure you blow all the dust and grit out of your garage, or off your driveway, before firing that baby up to dry your car!

·
Registered
323 Posts
I'm a self-washer, I find it very relaxing on a nice day, and I frankly don't trust anyone else to do the same job. I sit on a crawler for the wheels and low spots, saves the knees. Griots Garage online has pretty high quality cleaning supplies, not stupid expensive either. I use a synthetic chamois called The Absorber for drying, two actually, one for the painted surfaces that stays very clean and one for wheels, bottom of doors, etc., that gets a little grimier. Never tried the leaf blower, but seems worth a try.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts