McLaren Life banner
141 - 158 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
I first "discovered" McLaren while I was a freshman in high school (ca. 1997), before I had my driver's license. My dad would often bring home books for me that he purchased from a pop-up vendor in his office lobby. One of the books he brought home for me was a pictorial "coffee table" book with a McL F1 on the cover. I was smitten. I immediately began following the formula one team and obsessing over all things McLaren. I've been a McL F1 fan (both the car and the racing series team) ever since, even in our recent, much less successful seasons. In 2017 I purchased the modern incarnation of my other dream car of the 90's, the Dodge Viper. That left me with just the F1 to check off my "poster car dream list." Welp, though I've worked hard and have been reasonably successful professionally, an F1 remains far out of reach. The 675LT has, however, been high on my list since I first saw one at a Dallas Cars & Coffee a couple of years ago. I'm now the happy owner of my two childhood dream cars. Sort of. :p

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was a hater at first. 720 was supposed to just be fast and have no soul. Didn't sound like my NA Scuderia... until I had a chance to drive a 720s spyder at a local dealer. The rest is history. It was so fast and purpose built I could not get over it. All other manufacturers were way behind just getting incrementally better. Did I mention it is fast AF?? The only car that scares me going in a straight line. Not to mention it handles like a complete beast on track and canyon runs!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Twin turbo V8 set up is awesome with the given weight/power ratio.. wicked cars.. that being said, after my boring huracan, i test drove the 600lt. I loved it. But my friend told me not to pull the trigger until i test drive the 720s. Made another visit to my local dealer and drove the 720s, rest is history.. Fell in love with how fast that thing was. And very comfortable which is important for me as i drive my cars daily, no garage queens. If i am not picking up a 765lt in future, there is no other car i would consider other than a twin turbo huracan performante.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The machine does not need any recommendations. It's about individual needs and taste. The dynamics are amazing. Not a single road car can compete today. The response to the gas pedal is instant. It is convenient to rebuild on the go, although you have to turn around frequently when driving in a multi-lane traffic. I have never seen these cars in poor technical condition, or looked carelessly. This car is for those who love themselves, and are not readers of other people's novels.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Funny reading this post a year later. I’m now 4 and half months into my second McLaren and averaging about a thousand miles a month. I think it’s safe to say I’m still pretty interested in McLaren.

My dad had a 1976 Ferrari 308 GTB and the shop that he had it serviced at had a M6GT. I remember my dad telling me it was a racing car for the street. The seed was planted there. I’ve always been a big Ferrari fan but was drawn to McLaren with the F1 and I thought the MP4-12C was super cool when that came out. I test drove a 570S Spider last October and was done. Bought my Vermillion Red 570S Spider In February and I’ve already put over 2,000 miles on it. First track day is at Laguna Seca in one week, so excited!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Funny reading this post a year later. I’m now 4 and half months into my second McLaren and averaging about a thousand miles a month. I think it’s safe to say I’m still pretty interested in McLaren.
yes sir I have had my Lt600 spider 14 days and have 1150 on it. i dont even care what im gonna loose its epic

·
Registered
436 Posts
Macs are more rare and more "exotic" than Fcars, Lcars or Pcars. As an engineer the mantra of lightweight and superior use of materials really appeals to me. After coming to terms with Mac depreciation and going in "eyes wide open" I am now onto my 3rd Mac

·
Owner
1,121 Posts
Just re-reading your post made me smile. I too looked at the F1 when it came out but thought there is no way in **** I'm dumping $600K on a car. I'll just wait a few years for someone else to take the depreciation hit and buy it for half.

Yep, I'm an idiot. The next time I looked, one was going across the blocks over $1.2MM.
That was definitely a 'coulda, shoulda, woulda' moment for me.

·
Premium Member
2019 720S Coupe Track Pack
440 Posts
I wanted to step up from my Nissan GT-R so was looking at second hand 488GTBs. I thought 'why not see what McLaren has to offer' so called the dealer and was invited over for a chat and a test drive.

One test drive and that was it - the 488GTB was quickly forgotten and a new target set - 720S. Back then it was out of my budget, and so it took a few years for prices to come down until I could justify the purchase of the car I really wanted.

I'm really happy to finally own one, it's a brilliant car.

·
Registered
2021 765LT
32 Posts
this is my first post. I’ve loved McLarens since the 1970’s CAN AM days. I LOVE the roar of a giant V8 pushing a CAN AM car to ludicrous speed. I’m also a big fan of James Hunt the bad boy of F1. The road cars F1, P1, and Senna aren’t bad either. My dream car is a Senna GTR. Meanwhile I’m making due w my new beautiful 765LT which I rather like a lot. She has less than 100 miles on her. Dealer told me she needs 1000 miles before Incan take her on track so I’ll be driving her a lot on roads

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
Like many others, I've followed Formula 1 for my entire life, literally as long as I can remember. The races weren't really televised when I was a kid, but I have pretty early recollections of news stories about Jackie Stewart and those tubular cars from the 60s (which are still my favourite), particularly in Monaco which always got a lot of coverage. Since they started showing the races in their entirety, I'd be surprised if I've missed more than a handful. In the 80s & 90s, my allegiance tended to wander between McLaren & Williams, I was never really a fan of the red cars even though I did like to watch Schumacher drive and some of the road cars they've produced over the years are stunning. For the last 20 years, I've leaned more and more towards McLaren, the Bruce McLaren story is very compelling for me, as is the Ron Dennis era, particularly the signing of an eleven year old black kid who raced carts. I still think it was a huge mistake to oust Dennis when they did, they're never going to win again with someone else's engine in the back.

I bought my first real car around 1990, a 1989 944 Turbo, followed by a succession of other Porsches. Tried the 911 a few times, but they never really worked for me, I liked the balance of the front-engine, rear transaxle, it was a sad day when they gave up on the 968 (which until about a week ago I'd considered close to automotive perfection, although a little under-powered). I still own a 944 Turbo, an '86 since the lack of LSD makes it much more fun on roundabouts (its long-term status in my garage is currently in question due to the new arrival). The newer Porsches just don't do it for me, I started losing interest when the Boxster arrived, and it wasn't helped when they followed up with SUVs.

It was clear that if I was ever going to drop serious coin on another car, it was going to have to be the wedge-shaped supercar that I'd always lusted after, and not some modern German luxury vehicle with a million dashboard buttons and complicated steering wheel. I was already well-aware of the 12C, obviously, and it caught my attention when they suddenly started showing up for <$90k. After doing some research, I decided it was a bit too much of a risk for me due to the warranty status and part scarcity, and the trail quickly led me to the 570, which to my eye is the most beautiful of the cars McLaren have produced so far (although I have to say that seeing a 720S at close quarters, the beauty of that car is in the details, it's a stunning piece of aerodynamic engineering). From there, it was just a case of the usual mental gymnastics for my cerebellum to overcome my pre-frontal cortex and persuade it to pony-up and satisfy my more primitive desires. In the week-and-a-bit that I've owned a 570, my pre-frontal cortex has been remarkably quiet, I haven't suffered a single doubt or a sleepless night about spending the money, the only issue has been some minor ear ache, but even she's been quiet since I took her out in it and showed her what the word "acceleration" actually means. Usually when I stick my foot down it elicits some sort of rebuke followed by a comment about my manhood, this time it was shock and awe followed by hysterical giggling!!! Result!

Anyway, my advice for anyone who's still on the fence about pulling the McLaren trigger is to stop thinking about it and do it. I don't believe you'll regret your decision.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ever since I was a kid I've been entrenched and enticed by beautiful cars and women for that matter. The neighborhood that I lived in as a kid growing up had a multitude of rare and exclusive type cars. So yes I've been influenced by the lifestyles at home and abroad which has had a positive impact on me and my love of cars. Cheers....??
I cheers to be entrenched by beautiful cars & women. (y)

141 - 158 of 158 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.