McLaren Life banner
121 - 140 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
i am somewhat bored with my 430, and have been casting about for a replacement car within a similar price range.
then a friend suggested mclarens -which i knew only a little about, but went to the dealer in houston and took a test drive of the 12c they have on hand. very competent and potent car. i think i could make the change from ferrari to mclaren for that car.

btw, the dealer in houston was less than impressive. (btw , the ferrari dealer is not much better).
but the sales guy knew less about the car than i did, and the general manager was the worst sales/marketing guy i have experienced in a while and he also did not know some things about the car that i knew from just hanging out on this site for a couple hours - how sad that the gm does not know all of his products !

·
Owner
1,138 Posts
I did have an opportunity to buy an F1 for $600K, but passed (that was a bad choice).
Just re-reading your post made me smile. I too looked at the F1 when it came out but thought there is no way in **** I'm dumping $600K on a car. I'll just wait a few years for someone else to take the depreciation hit and buy it for half.

Yep, I'm an idiot. The next time I looked, one was going across the blocks over $1.2MM.

·
All cars are beautiful
88 Posts
To be honest, growing up I always was a Lambo fan, not Ferrari, but specifically Lamborghini. Then I was an Audi R8 fan since inception. I was about a hairs length from buying an R8 but upon seeing the McLaren 2 years ago, I literally couldn't take my mind off of the picture of it. It had it all, the raw power, the lines, and the awesome minimalist interior. I was awestruck. I mean, I felt like the first time I laid eyes off my wife...I couldn't stop thinking of her, or in this case, the McLaren. Thus, I knew this was the car to buy.

Reactions: Gqa

·
Registered
246 Posts
Test drove a 600LT one weekend. Couldn't stop thinking about it.. Went back the next weekend to test drive a 720s and 600LT back to back and get a feeling of the two. OMG. Loved both but wanted a car that's more raw. Finalizing on the 600LT soon.

·
Recent Convert
866 Posts
Test drove a 600LT one weekend. Couldn't stop thinking about it.. Went back the next weekend to test drive a 720s and 600LT back to back and get a feeling of the two. OMG. Loved both but wanted a car that's more raw. Finalizing on the 600LT soon.
Did the same with my 675 vsd 720, that got me out of my 650.
Initial fall for McLaren was coming from very pretty Astons, I loved the look of the 650 and technology in it :)

·
Spec 570 Spider soon
Waiting to spec Artura Spider
558 Posts
For as long as I can remember, I knew I was going to get a 911 one day. I even told my fiancé, BEFORE she became my wife nearly 35 years ago, that I was going to skip the mid-life crisis affair and go right to the expensive sports car instead, so no fair ever questioning this inevitable purchase...

However, once purchase time rolled around, I discovered that the P-car just didn't do it for me anymore. Great cars, mind you, but lacking that intangible "something" that made it so special in my mind growing up. What turned me on to McLaren?

While researching cars, I stumbled across a YouTube video of Steve Sutcliffe in a launch-blue 570S Spider blasting through mountain tunnels outside Barcelona, and discovered he had given me tunnel vision for all things McLaren! Sold.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have always loved cars. Being a new car dealer, I have always been around cool automobiles, exotics included. I have personally owned about every brand out there. I saw a McLaren outside a hotel in Vancouver and thought it was very cool looking and different. I decided someday I would try one. I sold my Ford GT so decided why not. I have had the Lambo's, Ferrari's and I have to say I love the Mclaren best. I have not had any issues I keep reading about so if that continues, I will be very happy and impressed.

Mike

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey my name s Stephen some of you may know me from other post. I'm interested in mclaren because we store a 12c for a customer in the garage I help in. I follow the F1 a lot and support mclaren and I am a mclaren member. But really the interest for me is the way the cars are made and built and how elegant they are. Anyway thought I would give an opinion.

·
Registered
57 Posts
My dad had a 1976 Ferrari 308 GTB and the shop that he had it serviced at had a M6GT. I remember my dad telling me it was a racing car for the street. The seed was planted there. I’ve always been a big Ferrari fan but was drawn to McLaren with the F1 and I thought the MP4-12C was super cool when that came out. I test drove a 570S Spider last October and was done. Bought my Vermillion Red 570S Spider In February and I’ve already put over 2,000 miles on it. First track day is at Laguna Seca in one week, so excited!

·
Registered
37 Posts
The Bruce McLaren story inspired me to take a closer look at their range of supercars. How a boy who can hardly walk when young, became an F1 driver plus a car manufacturer summed it for me. His dedication to perfection and Motorsports, his vision and hands-on approach and his track records are awe inspiring. I was toying with the idea of a Ferrrari 458 for a while but that thought got shelf after my research work on McLaren. If u are an F1 fan, if u are looking for rigidity and built of a quality race car, great lines, advanced technology, then u should find these qualities in a McLaren. I chanced on a fully spec 12c and jump on it. A good starting point and I am sure I will make my way up the foodchain in later years.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Need 4 speed 2 started it with love for the F1. I would draw a F1 in my notebook a lot in school. Fast forward 25 years later and I test drove Ferrari, Lamborghini, mclaren and that’s all I needed to make the purchase

·
Banned
618 Posts
I grew up in VARA vintage racing and my dad campaigned and still has a Mclaren m6b. His friends had numerous Mclarens including M6, M8, M10's all in orange. I met Denny Hulme before he died and he drove I believe my dad's friend's M10 in on of the historics races. Love the orange and the reason Bruce used it to stand out in black and white. I've always wanted one so bought an orange 570s track pack last week for my bday. Couldn't be happier. And of course I love the F1.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Back in the 90s I lived in London. One day I was walking along Park Lane and I came across a small boutique-like dealership, which was past the Porsche or BMW dealership, where I saw an out-of-this-world silver car that looked all futuristic. The steering wheel and driver’s seat were in the middle, with one passenger seat on each side and butterfly doors. There was an unusual woven material visible all over that I had never seen—carbon fiber. There was a shiny gold-color lining heat shield covering the bonnet’s interior and it made it look like the Lunar Module Eagle had just landed in the middle of Park Lane. It was the F1 McLaren and ever since then, I knew I wanted to own a McLaren.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I grew up in VARA vintage racing and my dad campaigned and still has a Mclaren m6b. His friends had numerous Mclarens including M6, M8, M10's all in orange. I met Denny Hulme before he died and he drove I believe my dad's friend's M10 in on of the historics races. Love the orange and the reason Bruce used it to stand out in black and white. I've always wanted one so bought an orange 570s track pack last week for my bday. Couldn't be happier. And of course I love the F1.
My dad raced with VARA up and down the west coast when I was in high school and college. Pops in his Lotus 23b and me in my 570 negotiating the Corkscrew 30 years apart.

The above picture was when he won his class at the Monterey Historics in 1987. Probably enjoyed watching your dad back in the day. The CanAm class was the coolest.

·
Registered
124 Posts
After having been mostly into classic cars I wanted to buy something more modern as a gift to myself because of the closing of a large project. Testdriving Porsche (although I never would buy one because everyone drives a 911...), Ferrari, Lamborgini and Mclaren it was quickly clear: it had to be the Mclaren.

The handling, speed, design and technology are simply above those competitors. With maybe only the 911 GT2 RS matching the 720s for speed and handling. But that car is unusable on the road. And this is actually what impressed me most: all of this massive performance is imminently usable on a daily drive!

I also love the design of the 720s, both inside and outside. It is fascinating to experience my change in mindset when I stepped out of the 488 into the 720s last year... it was like “OK, I had some fun and excitement in that car (the 488) but now let’s drive this one (the 720s) straight from the road onto the track and win a race”. It’s like changing from a toy to a purposeful machine while even experiencing higher comfort levels (as opposed to the GT2 RS).

Great respect for the girls and boys in Woking for creating this level of performance and brand value in such a short period of time.

·
Owner
562 Posts
I drove the MP12-4C on track and it did so many things so well - I began looking into it a lot more. Then...BAM! When the 720s rumors were coming out, I knew that was going to be the car. I ended up in a 650s and then upgraded to the 720s finally.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Back in the 90s I lived in London. One day I was walking along Park Lane and I came across a small boutique-like dealership, which was past the Porsche or BMW dealership, where I saw an out-of-this-world silver car that looked all futuristic. The steering wheel and driver’s seat were in the middle, with one passenger seat on each side and butterfly doors. There was an unusual woven material visible all over that I had never seen—carbon fiber. There was a shiny gold-color lining heat shield covering the bonnet’s interior and it made it look like the Lunar Module Eagle had just landed in the middle of Park Lane. It was the F1 McLaren and ever since then, I knew I wanted to own a McLaren.

View attachment 195355
This car (and the Viper) were the awesome cars of the 90's for a teenage boy.

While I admire Ferrari's and Lambo's, there is just something different about McLarens.

·
Registered
36 Posts
For me, it was the McLaren F1 back when I was a kid. Over the last 4 years, I was the McLaren Brand Manager for the franchise store in town. Now, I'm the GM at a pre-owned exotic store and we stock a few McLaren cars, obviously. Best cars in the world--toured the factory, tracked the 650S and 570S at The Goodwood a few years back and then a year ago I was able to track the 600LT and 720S out at Thermal Club in Palm Springs, CA. I'll never stop loving them!

121 - 140 of 158 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.